Odd limp mode encounter on road trip.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
So, earlier this week I completed a cross country road trip from California to Michigan. While I was on the trip I had something strange happen and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same...

I'm driving on the freeway at night with the cruise set at 80 mph. Out of nowhere, there's semi-tread on the road directly in front of me and I have no time to react before I hit it straight on. It made a hell of a thump under the car so I thought it would be a good idea to give the brakes a good test to make sure everything was still connected. I test the brakes, they work fine, so I try to accelerate back up to 80 but the car won't go any faster than 75. I pull into the next rest area, noticing at a stop sign along the way that the car has absolutely no torque and no turbo whine. I shut the car off, got underneath, looked around, expecting to find a cracked charge pipe or something. Nothing. I start the car back up, the turbo is back, and everything is fine.

The best I can figure is that hitting the semi tread freaked out one of the airbag collision sensors enough to put the car into limp mode but not deploy the airbags....

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Any input?

the*rogue

TDI
2002 Jetta Auto now a 6sp, 1986 (Non-TDI) Jetta
Any CEL?

What's your avatar, some kind of time, distance, shielding thing?

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Well, if there was a CEL triggered it was hidden by the constant CEL telling me that I need to replace my GP harness....

I forget what the avatar is; some random photo I grabbed from the Internet at one point in time.

the*rogue

TDI
2002 Jetta Auto now a 6sp, 1986 (Non-TDI) Jetta
I have not experienced it, could be a somewhat loose connection on either the MAF or MAP sensors. (Both are used by the ECU to calculate whether or not to kick you into limp mode.)

Certainly not limited to these only. If no subsequent limp mode I'd say nothing to worry about. (except winter coming with a GP problem - ;)

Andy

harry3

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta tdi auto converted to 5 speed. 2003 tdi jetta 5 speed.
I wonder if the vacuum hose was knocked off the actuator.