Odd "bell rung" sound after Seafoam in Crankcase

loewenwolf

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Manual Trans
So, before I get a bunch of folks hating on Seafoam in the Crankcase, let me be the FIRST to say that maybe I know this has caused my problem.

But if you will allow me to elaborate, and please do chime with thoughts, prayers, or general fun joshing...oh and of course TIPS!

So after a LOT of investigating here, with my best pal who is an HD mechanic and on numerous internet places I finally decided to take the plunge to see if I could free up what I deemed to be a sticky lifter and Seafoam was the choice as directed. I followed the instructions to the 'T' and was going to let my car go 160km (100 miles) before dropping the oil. About 15 km (10ish miles in), I turned off my car and the only way I can describe as a large hollow bell being run (which I presume is my engine being CLEANED). I turned on my engine, and it was SO loud. So, I had the feeling that whatever the seafoam was doing, it had done enough. I dropped the engine oil, got as much of it out as I could, and put in a new oil and filter. Same results. Engine now is idling/driving loudly, and the same strange "bell rung" sound every time I turn it off ( to hear sound please watch to the very end of the 18 second video). Is this something anyone has experienced? The car is old, and my worry was rather than helping it just cleaned out all the lifters/seals and anything holding in place my old but up until today, functioning diesel.

Another thing to note, on a hot engine, it looks like for sure there is still some of that Seafoam on the dipstick.

Thoughts? Could really use a piece of mind/direction. Thank you everyone for taking the time...I'm a long time reader and fan of the club and this is, after all that time, my first post.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Engine sounded fine, that hollow ring reminded me of the sound of a flexplate. Is the car an automatic?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I heard something as soon as you hit the key also, I wonder if your starter drive is hanging up on the fly wheel

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I've never heard engine internals fo that. I have heard flywheels make that sound every time you tap one. Do yourself a favor. Pop the trans timing mark cover off and with a flathead or bar or something, tap the flywheel. Should sound the same.
Your starter bearings are wearing out.
As for the seafoam...... as long as your not running the car for miles with it in the crankcase. It's fine. It does a great job of thinning the oil to drain a crank case. A tip. Add it once the car is nice and hot before the oil change. Start it hp for about a minute. Turn off and drain oil as normal. No need to go miles and miles with thinned oil. It will do 90% of the job you need it to within a minute.
I usually dont bother with it on diesels because its instantly dark once changed that and it's not really needed.
It has its place and I will support its use where needed.
Your car is fine. Pull the starter and inspect.

loewenwolf

TDI
I heard something as soon as you hit the key also, I wonder if your starter drive is hanging up on the fly wheel
Car is manual Trans, would the starter drive in your opinion, suddenly want to start hanging up on the flywheel after a seafoaming?

loewenwolf

TDI
I've never heard engine internals fo that. I have heard flywheels make that sound every time you tap one. Do yourself a favor. Pop the trans timing mark cover off and with a flathead or bar or something, tap the flywheel. Should sound the same.
Your starter bearings are wearing out.
As for the seafoam...... as long as your not running the car for miles with it in the crankcase. It's fine. It does a great job of thinning the oil to drain a crank case. A tip. Add it once the car is nice and hot before the oil change. Start it hp for about a minute. Turn off and drain oil as normal. No need to go miles and miles with thinned oil. It will do 90% of the job you need it to within a minute.
I usually dont bother with it on diesels because its instantly dark once changed that and it's not really needed.
It has its place and I will support its use where needed.
Your car is fine. Pull the starter and inspect.
So ya I maybe drove 15km on the seafoam...and ya in retrospect probably just should have left it. Thing is there still seems to be some amount in the oil. Do I need to drop the oil again?

Secondly for flywheel/starter bearing check if the bearing is in fact worn out is this something I need to be on top of right away? Now when rpms are dropping during shifting it's awfully loud kinda snarly sounding shifting. Is this all the same related problem?

Lastly, this isnt something I've inspected before, where do I access the timing cover you mentioned. Is that the passenger side of block right on top?

Thanks again for you help

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, it would be coincidence. Starter bearings aren’t a bad guess and an easy enough thing to check. I would have someone start and shut off the car while you put your head in that area to see if you can confirm if that is where the noise is. Do you get any vibration out of it, such as when you get on or off the throttle?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is a black rubber plug on top of the bell housing on the driver side. You may possibly have a Loose flywheel or failing dual mass clutch also

loewenwolf

TDI
No, it would be coincidence. Starter bearings aren’t a bad guess and an easy enough thing to check. I would have someone start and shut off the car while you put your head in that area to see if you can confirm if that is where the noise is. Do you get any vibration out of it, such as when you get on or off the throttle?
Yes I would say that at about 1500 rpm while off the throttle is when the engine noise is really loud. Could be vibration. It's the same loud sound when the engine starts. Suddenly sounds like a beast starting up.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
leave the oil alone. doing your oil change was good enough.
driving for that long probably didn't really hurt anything.

loewenwolf

TDI
Folks THANK YOU for your input. After calming down and putting the car up on ramps again today I found the culprit. Just can't believe the coincidence that this happens the same moment I add seafoam to the crankcase. I appreciate all the encouragement and advice ... But here is the culprit of my noise.

Weird timing...and now a potentially other expensive fix. My hope is my mechanic can weld it. Any thoughts on that? I know it details my initial question....but Y'all are the best.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Beats doing a clutch

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that'll do it!
also that has not been like that over night! i'm shocked you didn't see it when you did the oil change!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I'm sorry i didn't find this thread sooner. My car made the exact same ding on shut off when my pipe rusted out behind the cat. Easy enough fix. Glad you got it sorted!