O2J Manual Transmission leak

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
After my 5th gear swap I had to disassemble everything and re-torque the bolts holding the gears. I had replaced the transmission cover gasket, but had to pull things back apart.

I have had a slow leak that doesn't seem to remedy itself. I've tried torquing the bolts tighter, looser, etc, but the gasket seems to warp out of shape if it gets any torque on it at all.

Should I simply replace it and re-fill the trans?

Is there a certain way to keep the gasket from bulging out from around the edges of the cap?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I would replace it and refill.

The metal cover gasket could have bent if you overtightened it... That will cause a leak, and if that's the case you will need to replace the cover.

if the gasket is bulging, then it's over tightened.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
I know the torque spec for the bolts is very low, but it seemed barely finger tight before the gasket started to bulge out. Anyway to tell if the cover is bent?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
pull the cover and put it on a piece of glass. you'll be able to see if it's bent.

And the correct torque bulges the gasket a bit.

Why retorque it? No need to.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
I should say check my assembly. I was getting some vibration in 5th when I let off the accelerator. I found that things weren't quite torqued to spec, so I double checked them and that fixed the problem, then the leak began:(

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Ah. Yep, they need to be tight.