O2E DSG Ring Gear and Pinion

moonshyne0986

TDI
2006 jetta 1.9 BMR TDI DSG
Ok so I've been wondering if someone makes a taller ring gear and pinion set for the O2E DSG trans. What I want to do is drop my rpm by about 500rpm so when I'm going to work in the mornings I'm not turning 3k for 40 miles each way. Also I'd like to hear someone else that might have already did this same thing to see how it effects drivability and fuel mileage good bad or ugly.

Thanks

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Yes that’s a kit that ups 5th gear. Just do a fifth gear swap search.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
That kit is for the 5sp manual. Not aware of any kits to replace gears/final drive for the DSG (if the OP is asking about a DSG).

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Increase overall wheel diameter to the max.... that's the most cost effective way to lower your gearing.

moonshyne0986

TDI
Yes tactdi as I did say in my first (for the O2E DSG trans.) it is a O2E DSG. Oh Turbo thanks for the cheapest way out but I just don't want to pimp my ride. I think I'll contact Dark across the pond to see if they can come up with options. Hammer lane traffic here is 90, 95 normally in the mornings and then you'll get your doors blown off at times. I just can't see smacking 3k for about 400 miles a week doing her any good you know.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The manual states " Currently, no repairs can be made to gears and shafts ", so I would guess that changing the final drive is your only option (if it's even that much different)..... the 2L TDI and 1.4 & 2L gassers also got the same box, but I'd suspect with different final drives to compensate for the various power bands and markets, etc.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI

moonshyne0986

TDI
Ok so what I've found out it that the O2E does not have a traditional ring gear and pinion set as most of us normally think about. Instead the output end of 6th gear is the pinion gear and the ring gear is still on the differential. The thing is both gears are straight cut gears. Seeing as how all the gear shafts share gears this isn't something they produce parts for. I have seen some sites that say the European vertion of the O2E has tallers gearsets but I have not confirmed that. Anyway the point is that it is much to much of a problem to throw money away on.

Thanks everyone.

moonshyne0986

TDI
I did look at that list and it is interesting. Now to do a little research on the posible software problems / fixes. One of those could very well work.