Nyc

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
Hi,
I am just curious to how many TDI people are in the NYC area. I havn't seen any TDI on the road here ever since I've come to know their existence. I guess I am just a little lonely on the road. :eek:
Jess

xsfmed

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Indigo Blue
If Jersey counts for the NYC Metro area - there are a 'few' members here - we have GTGs occasionally - keep an eye on this forum, you'll see when they're happening.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
Hi Jessica, where in nyc? I commute from holbrook LI to nutley nj and I see a few everyday, mostly on the NJTP and LIE. I get my 06 TDI in a week so theres one more!

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
I am in Queens. I acutally saw a Silver Jetta Wagon, my twin, parked on the side of the road on the way home today and I was so excited, my husband thought I was crazy (posted on the sightings forum). I travel on LIE most everyday but only for a short distance and I've never seen a TDI on it. I also take the Grand Central to Northern Parkway to Port Washington at least once a week and never seen one there either. We need to get our friends/relatives to get TDIs!!! :)

Last edited:

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Head up to CT and MA, they're all over the place up here. I usually see 2 or 3 every day during my commute. There are at least 3 TDIs in my work parking lot.

You should try to make it up for one of the "first Friday" GTGs or the next big New England GTG (which hasn't been scheduled yet). Last time at the Ho5G we had over 50 cars.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
There's quite a few of us over the bridge in Jersey. There's talk of a "mini" gtg coming up if you're interested.

Prometheus

TDI
2006 5spd Jetta
jessica_rabbit said:
I am in Queens. I acutally saw a Silver Jetta Wagon, my twin, parked on the side of the road on the way home today and I was so excited, my husband thought I was crazy (posted on the sightings forum). I travel on LIE most everyday but only for a short distance and I've never seen a TDI on it. I also take the Grand Central to Northern Parkway to Port Washington at least once a week and never seen one there either. We need to get our friends/relatives to get TDIs!!! :)

I drive often on the Northern State but mostly further out east from where you are. You might catch me on the Grand Central when I head upstate. I also used to live in Manhasset so I travel through the Port Washington area like once a week to meet with friends. Keep an eye out for another blue 06 TDI. I have the club plates up front and back. If you do happen to see me wave our something. I have been getting a lot of flashing the high beams with my new TDI. I am not sure if thats people from the club or just the obnoxious Long Island crowd venting some road rage/damn you and your higher mpg car I drive an H2. :)

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
I find myself on LI (Nassau/Suffolk line) more than I would like to. I'd be more than happy to meet up and hang out with all of ya!

diy_fool

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 NB
Jessica- you might not recognize all the TDIs around. My NB does not have a factory TDI emblem. It seems VW decided not to show off the TDI badge at least in '00. Don't know if that is true for all year NBs.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Calico Red: really? I used to be there A LOT!! Actually was just there today. Will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks! :)

LVPAJetta,
meganuke: I am sure I will be able to make it one day. I've been busy trying to get things together for the car still [skid plate, chip? clutch (if chip's installed) and most of all, the money for everything... :D] I've been having problems with mpg ( I posted on the Newbie 101 forum) and trying to find out why. Thanks for the offer though. I will be looking out for them once I get everything settled.

Prometheus: lol. I know what you mean driving in LI. They are the burbs of giants/SUVs. I will be going to Port Wash. on Tues. and Thurs. around 10 am or so in the month of July. Hope to see you sometime. Will definately "honk". Let's just hope someone else doesn't think I am honking at them and decide to run me over with thier tanks. But then, I can probably out run them... ;)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Up untill a few months ago I was in hoboken... Now I'm in Portland Oregon.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
LVPAJetta said:
There's quite a few of us over the bridge in Jersey. There's talk of a "mini" gtg coming up if you're interested.
I work this this bastard-- well not really, but he's in the building next to me and natebg and redleg are in the building next to him

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
Hey, Tan, I don't think she can see the sarcasm coming through there (he actually enjoys my company so much he spent a day w/ me cleaning an intake)... btw - how did the work you were doing on your brakes come along?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
It's installed with a ton of dust up front produced. Brake feel with the Tyrolsport bushings improved.

Still considering a 4th of July GTG? Because the Gandyman is doing a BBQ at his lake house that night

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Vag Com

By the way, anyone nearby can help me scan my car with a VAG-COM? I am getting 25 mpg with the air intake claned. HELP!! PLEASE!!!

Jess

Prometheus

TDI
2006 5spd Jetta
Ha you have perfect timing. I just literally walked in the door from playing with my new Vag-Com. Got rid of my seat belt chime, safety door lock function, annoying beep on locking and turned on remote windows up and windows down. So cool to be able to hack the car. I am a total newb to Vag-Com however so it would take a bit of reading/experimenting for me to help in your case.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
I'm going to post a feeler for a GTG for the 8th, if enough people are interested let's see what we can put together.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Prometheus said:
Ha you have perfect timing. I just literally walked in the door from playing with my new Vag-Com. Got rid of my seat belt chime, safety door lock function, annoying beep on locking and turned on remote windows up and windows down. So cool to be able to hack the car. I am a total newb to Vag-Com however so it would take a bit of reading/experimenting for me to help in your case.
I don't know what's involved in doing the thing I need, I only know I need a VAG-COM to scan my timing belt... :confused: If you are willing, I can drive the car to you anytime that's good for you. I am really desprate. 25mpg for a TDI is really embarrassing.... :( Where are you in LI? PM if prefered.

THANKS A LOT~!
hop hop cherry on top wabbit

DieselLover

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2002 Black
Hi Jessica (and everyone else),

I've been behind on the site recently (my daughter was off between then end of school and the beginning of camp).

Anyway, I'm another TDI'er, down in North Woodmere (Valley Stream if you're the Post Office).

Look for a black 2002 Jetta with lots of bumper stickers. :)

Stuart

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello!
We traval through Valley Stream to go to Jordan Lobster Farm.... Mmmmm... Yummy! Maybe we can have a GTG there sometime? :D (I am broke right now with the car expenses but maybe after I recover from it... just throwing it out there!)

Jessica

DieselLover said:
Hi Jessica (and everyone else),

I've been behind on the site recently (my daughter was off between then end of school and the beginning of camp).

Anyway, I'm another TDI'er, down in North Woodmere (Valley Stream if you're the Post Office).

Look for a black 2002 Jetta with lots of bumper stickers. :)

Stuart

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Prometheus, Ross-Tech's website has the instructions for checking the timing. It's really not hard. Sounds like you're a lot closer to Jessica than I am.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
Jessica, it's not really the "belt" that your checking. What you are checking is the timing of the pump. It will also check to see how your pump is holding it's timing. However, I would assume (we know what that does) that if your timing was so off that it was only giving you 25mpg that you would either have a really rough running engine or no power, or tons of smoke or something else to indicate that it's way out of the range.
Have you considered sending away a sample of your oil to get it checked for wear metals, etc.? There are a bunch of companies who can do that. It would also tell you if you're getting a ton of blow-by. Have you checked the compression? Also, when your intake was cleaned, did you pull the valve cover to see if the cam is worn... *maybe* if your cam is worn your timing could be spot on, but your engine isn't breathing. Only a guess, but again you should have low to no power w/ that.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
meganuke:
I want to thank you again for your advice. I am going to try it out and see what happens.

LVPAJetta
:
The car feels very different before and after the intake cleaning. It has a lot more power and also is more responsive and there’s definitely no smoke when I drive the car. I don't know about the oil test. Is it really necessary? And if yes, how much is it to have it tested? Is the quality of oil varying so much that it would affect mpg so drastically? I don’t know about the compression or cam. I will ask my mechanic about it. Also, are these things to be checked “mechanically” or with the use of a VAG-COM?

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, (RIP)
The compression and the Cam are both mechanical check outs.
It's not that the oil quality would give you that great of a swing, but if there was internal damage the test might give us some sort of a clue. Here's a link to the company I use, but there are many out there if you look for them. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html
There's some good info on there - like what does the oil analysis do for you. Total cost is about $20 and it normally takes them about 2 weeks for a turnaround, but they say to leave about a month. I have a copy of my last report I could email you, just to give you an idea.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Jessica,

I'd advise you just forget the money for an oli analysis, and instead have the SO do an oil change with some WalMart Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic oil in the 1 gallon Blue bottle. You'll need a gallon and a quart at least for your 2002 Jetta and an oil filter that runs about $11.00 or so.

The gallon of oil is 14 to $15, another $4 for the quart and 11 for the filter, plus whatever sales tax you have . Bring it all to a GTG and ask around if someone has a Pella oil extractor to bring it to th GTG.

The money you spend on oil analysis is unneccesary in your case, you just need to get your oil changed since your MPG was so poor, it loaded up your oil with soot.

Now that your intake manifold is clean, do your oil and filter too. And get someone with a VAGCOM to set your EGR to the minimum, like I Pm'd you, to keep your manifold clean.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out, I wouldn't miss the GTG to get your car sorted out, especially the oil and filter, you have no idea how long it's been running in that condition. Best to spend a little $ and start fresh, knowing you are doing your car a favor that will benefit it's longevity, instead of having any doubt about it.

Oil analysis is for folks with money to burn that are compulsive about the well being of the innards of their engine. It's provides usefulness to Fleet Managers, with Big Rigs, but for a car, it's a waste of money. Service the oil and filter, and the car will last long after you've tired of it and sold it to the next guy in 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
The oil and filter was just changed 500 miles ago but prior to air intake cleaning. I need to change the oil and filter again after the cleaning? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks. By the way, I am keeping this car till the day I die. So, I want to take care of it the best I can. :D

I will check out thet company and see what I can learn from it. Nothing to loose in education oneself, me think.

;)Jess