Nozzle recommendation

TDIpower01

TDI
2001 vw jetta tdi 1.9 alh 5 speed manual
What nozzles would recommend for stage 2 Malone tuning on 2001 vw jetta tdi 1.9 alh? And would my stock clutch be ok

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
What nozzles would recommend for stage 2 Malone tuning on 2001 vw jetta tdi 1.9 alh? And would my stock clutch be ok
My stock clutch couldn't take a stage 1 tune, ended up using the Luk Repset. Now with my stage 2 tune, .216 nozzles, and an S7 turbo, it's still holding. The euro 110 engine uses the .205 nozzles with the stock turbo. Are you planning a turbo change or keeping the stock VNT15?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Typical miles on a 2001 car....better plan on upgrading the clutch.
I bought .205 Wuzetem nozzles, but have an 11mm IP (auto-->5sp. swap), and the added zip is great already, even without a tune.

With a stock 10mm IP, I'd go .216; Wuzetem seems to have a solid reputation, and are well-priced, which is what led me to them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Ask Malone. Your tuner will be responsible for the nozzles and tune working well together. You should follow their recommendation.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Just like IBW said. Many People seem to get caught up on a tune number first, then start thinking components. The tune, regardless of what you name it, is dictated by what performance you want from the car. Then comes component choices, then the tuner dials it all together

TDIpower01

TDI
My stock clutch couldn't take a stage 1 tune, ended up using the Luk Repset. Now with my stage 2 tune, .216 nozzles, and an S7 turbo, it's still holding. The euro 110 engine uses the .205 nozzles with the stock turbo. Are you planning a turbo change or keeping the stock VNT15?
I'm planning on keeping the stock vnt15 and I currently have a stage 1 tune that my original stock clutch is still holding. But thinking about it a stage 2 will probably kill my original stock clutch.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Stage 2 tune with stock nozzles won't kill it, unless it's already near the end of its life. ToxicDoc's Luk Repset isn't much, if any, stronger than a stock clutch and he says his is doing fine with tune and nozzles. Stock clutch will hold a strong Stage 3 tune with stock fueling.

TDIpower01

TDI
Stage 2 tune with stock nozzles won't kill it, unless it's already near the end of its life. ToxicDoc's Luk Repset isn't much, if any, stronger than a stock clutch and he says his is doing fine with tune and nozzles. Stock clutch will hold a strong Stage 3 tune with stock fueling.
Okay so I can do a stage 2 with stock clutch and nozzles but won't get the full performance of the stage 2 without upgrading nozzles? Also my clutch has approx. 255,000 miles

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
At 255K miles your clutch is probably near the end of its life, and even a tune may put it over the edge. I'd not do anything until you have a new clutch in there.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My 2001 TDI had .205 nozzles and a Stage 3 (18 PSI) tune and the stock clutch never slipped, even 100k miles after I upgraded the tune. My starter ate my ring gear, so I upgraded the clutch just to be safe.

Last edited: