Noticeable vibration and blow back after EGR delete.

ruSSrt

TDI
Hey guys,
I got 2005 Passat B5.5 with 195k. I've deleted EGR about 3000 miles ago and it was probably 75% clogged. Only thing I haven't done yet is tune. So I do have check engine light on and that's okay for now, I'll be getting "stock" malone tune later. I've been noticing that I have more vibration from the engine at idle. Drives as it used to, no stalling or starting issues, just more vibration. it doesn't sound like rough idle, just vibration. Rig is new to me (about 10k) miles. When I bought it there was no noticeable blow by. You know, when unscrewing oil fill cap and just let it rest on there it was not bouncing. Now I've noticed that thing is just jumping violently all over. Would removing EGR add that more pressure? I had small oil leak before but now I'm dumping tons of oil. I had to change my valve cover gasket because it was seeping oil more. Would messing with EGR do that? Or is it just my luck that those issues came out at the same time as I removed EGR?
Besides getting rid of check engine light does egr delete tune do anything for the rig?

Thank guys

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Check your camshaft. Pull the timing cover off and look at it. The egr delete in and of itself won't cause that problem. Do you have any codes?

ruSSrt

TDI
Check your camshaft. Pull the timing cover off and look at it. The egr delete in and of itself won't cause that problem. Do you have any codes?
I do have a code. And I don't remember the number. It was due to airflow something. Came up as soon as I removed EGR.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
I just see that it is about a year of construction 2005. Here you cannot simply close the EGR without adapting the software.

ruSSrt

TDI
I just see that it is about a year of construction 2005. Here you cannot simply close the EGR without adapting the software.
I see what you saying. And that's what I was afraid. But I'm just curious about the science behind it. What does software do to make it run better?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I do have a code. And I don't remember the number. It was due to airflow something. Came up as soon as I removed EGR.
Yes, you'll get that code when it doesn't sense the egr flow. That's a mass air flow sensor code.
I am another one of those who have deleted the egr without tuning it yet. I just left the valve plugged in so it doesn't throw that code, just a mass air flow sensor code.
Prime suspect for an extra vibration would be a worn camshaft. I'd recommend pulling the valve cover and checking it.
Do you know if it has had the balance shaft delete or conversion done? That'll make it have more vibration too. (The delete will)
Check into those and let me know.

ExalyThor

TDI
Passat B5 AFN 110hp
I know the egr is a pita, but the engine is designed to work with it, not without it. Every belt change I take off the egr system along with the intake manifold and clean them. Egr with a solvent, the manifold I torch it. It keeps both of best worlds (keeps engine in spec and avoids the downsides of the egr)

Mozambiquer

TDI
I know the egr is a pita, but the engine is designed to work with it, not without it. Every belt change I take off the egr system along with the intake manifold and clean them. Egr with a solvent, the manifold I torch it. It keeps both of best worlds (keeps engine in spec and avoids the downsides of the egr)
Mine had the cooler fail. I don't want to spend the 500 bucks for a new one when I don't even need it.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
my reply would be the same as Exaly Thor's, engineers are paid good money to design, the EGR serves a purpose, for every action there is a reaction, a member just up the road from me decided to modify, (redesign) his engine, six months later he sold his wagon for $500, head gasket blew after stage 25 install on top of all the other modification he made. I fill mine with fuel and move on down the road, when something breaks I fix it.

ExalyThor

TDI
Passat B5 AFN 110hp
Honestly if you want to do a proper EGR off, you should do as much research as you can on the original TDI, as the C3 Audi 100 came without EGR, but the C4 Audi 100 came with it.