Not heard this before

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
I drive manuals because I like the control and the simplicity. I could care less about fuel economy or shift speeds. The car/truck is always in the gear I want and there's much more driving enjoyment that accompanies that interaction. I don't care how good they make an automatic, it can't compete on the visceral level.

(Yes, I see the irony that the two cars I have listed are DSG's)

I don't want that 'lectricity in my house, just don't trust it. I don't care how convenient an electric bulb is, it can't compete with the satisfaction of lighting a candle.

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
I didn't see where they said it would go into a Cruize much less when. Are you saying that they said it'd go into every car? Yeah, show me indeed!
Does the Cruize have a magnetic ride suspension? Or are you saying you want to trade in the TDI for a Camaro? I'm kind of confused.
From everything I've read, the Camaro is really an achievement. I'd like to look into that as a possible "replacement", but then, it kind of is more expensive, especially if you want a fancy suspension. Not to mention that it's a very different kind of a car.
The Cruize I had for a rental did not have a fancy suspension, and overall felt like an economy car, but better than some other rentals I've had (Versa). Their gas engine was anemic. I dunno, it wasn't a bad car, but not nearly as sporty-feeling as the Golf. I guess it's just too much to ask for a car with nice handling that isn't $35000?
As for GM being "total junk", I haven't had a GM for years, and I never felt like they were junk, even while I owned them. However, cheap plastic and noisy interiors did make them seem a bit "cheap" feeling. How come VW makes a small car without a crappy interior and others do not? I think it's because for Europeans, it's not considered a small or economy car, just a "normal" car. I would like a normal, non-crappy car, please.
The click-bait title could have been better, but did get me to click on it. ;-)

Given enough time the magnetic ride will be the new norm for everything.

Gm states in the article that they will be putting it in 8 models by 2018.

Quote...And while the Camaro ZL1 will be the first GM vehicle to offer the new 10-speed automatic, designed for rear-wheel-drive applications, it will be available in eight additional vehicles by 2018.

Quote...GM-developed controller – It is the latest transmission to use an all-new, GM-developed control system, with performance calibrations tailored specifically for different vehicles.

Quote...Creative packaging – The 10-speed is approximately the same size as the six- and eight-speed transmissions, minimizing changes to vehicle interfaces.

I just put down payment on a 2017 golf r DSG, DCC, POB , then off I go to my apr dealer for full stage 2 , I will use this car to hold me over for a couple of years while I wait until this all gets sorted out.

I been driving diesels for since 98, I will be going thru withdraws, but this 2017 golf R 420 (APR) wont disappoint,

I will get the chevy ss with this new trans powered by an LT4 supercharged 6.2L aluminum V8 engine delivering 650 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque. when it comes out .

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I don't want that 'lectricity in my house, just don't trust it. I don't care how convenient an electric bulb is, it can't compete with the satisfaction of lighting a candle.
There are people who like the feel of older tech. When they have self driving cars, there will still be people who like the feel of driving themselves.

Film cameras? Vinyl records and cassette tape? Horseback riding?

Are cars meant to only be driven from point A to B?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
...and, as an old-timer remarked in the 1920's after experiencing his first radio broadcast, "I don't hold with furniture that talks."

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
There are times when you don't want the lights on in the house, you want to burn a couple of candles.

When speaking of cars, by all means, the cars of today are faster, and handle and stop better than the sports cars of the 60s and 70s. However, they don't offer the same excitement of those cars. You aren't driving them as close to the edge.
Sometimes it isn't so much about the numbers as it is about the experience.

One of the car magazines (R&T?) did a "10 best driver's cars) article. It included the new McLaren and a Subaru BRZ, along with eight others, obviously. The McLaren was the fastest around the track, but the (professional) driver was not so happy with it, because it actually drove itself when it was starting to exceed the limits. The driver said he was calling for so many degrees of slip angle, and the car's systems would provide a different amount. The car was faster, but it didn't allow the driver to test his skill.
On the other hand, the BRZ was way underpowered, and had almost no electronic nannies, and forced the driver to use his skill to get a good time around the track. The lack of power meant that he had to conserve momentum as much as possible, and the great balance meant that it was easier to make the car do what you wanted. But, to get a good time you had to push the limits, and it was all about your feel for what the car was doing and your skill at knowing what to do.
Anyone could drive the McLaren fast at the track, but the BRZ would make a better driver out of you at the track.

For some people it is all about the numbers, for others it is all about the experience., and that is fine. Not everyone will appreciate a musclecar. Not everyone will appreciate a Prius. But each works for certain people, and you can't get ALL of those people to appreciate both, because they represent different values.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Out of the OP link, I was most impressed with this comment:
“There are a lot of diesel intenders and diesel-loyal people who are looking for a brand and vehicles to go after,” said Nicholson. “They tend to be more tech savvy than the average customer. And they won’t stop wishing for a diesel. And we’ll go after those customers.”

At least on paper, it looks like GM is going to try to offer more diesels across their product line. I just hope that they offer the diesels in lower trim and not just at the top end of each model. I also heard that the 1500 work van will get the baby dmax engine starting in the fall.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
The problem with GM is they don't get it at all. That's why all their current ads talk about their wifi access point in the car, instead of the cars.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I don't drive a manual for speedy shifts - like speedrye - I drive it for control and pleasure . Also - Increasingly - a manual transmission is becoming an anti-theft device :)
When I was researching my JSW TDI purchase (in September, 2013), the 6-speed manual was about $1100 less than the DSG and was rated a couple of mpg higher than the DSG. And the DSG requires service every 40k miles.

I'm cheap. I bought the manual.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I would have opted for the manual in my JSW except for two reasons. One, the wagens themselves were extremely hard to find in March 2010. Two, the wife said she was too old and had too bad of knees to want a manual as a dd.

As I consider what to do with my JSW, I am wondering if VW will offer such a great incentive on the 16 GSW with a manual that I won't be able to refuse it. Of course that doesn't satisfy the second criteria above.

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
There are times when you don't want the lights on in the house, you want to burn a couple of candles.

When speaking of cars, by all means, the cars of today are faster, and handle and stop better than the sports cars of the 60s and 70s. However, they don't offer the same excitement of those cars. You aren't driving them as close to the edge.
Sometimes it isn't so much about the numbers as it is about the experience.

One of the car magazines (R&T?) did a "10 best driver's cars) article. It included the new McLaren and a Subaru BRZ, along with eight others, obviously. The McLaren was the fastest around the track, but the (professional) driver was not so happy with it, because it actually drove itself when it was starting to exceed the limits. The driver said he was calling for so many degrees of slip angle, and the car's systems would provide a different amount. The car was faster, but it didn't allow the driver to test his skill.
On the other hand, the BRZ was way underpowered, and had almost no electronic nannies, and forced the driver to use his skill to get a good time around the track. The lack of power meant that he had to conserve momentum as much as possible, and the great balance meant that it was easier to make the car do what you wanted. But, to get a good time you had to push the limits, and it was all about your feel for what the car was doing and your skill at knowing what to do.
Anyone could drive the McLaren fast at the track, but the BRZ would make a better driver out of you at the track.

For some people it is all about the numbers, for others it is all about the experience., and that is fine. Not everyone will appreciate a musclecar. Not everyone will appreciate a Prius. But each works for certain people, and you can't get ALL of those people to appreciate both, because they represent different values.
Having owned a manual FR-S, I completely agree with this. I enjoy driving a lot. If a manual and automatic will both get me from point A to point B, I choose the one that's more fun. I could take the highway to some of my destinations and get there more quickly as well, but I often choose the back roads that are more fun. Sure, it took longer and wasted more fuel, but my enjoyment trumps time and money.

So long as my outdated manual transmission vehicles continue to be more engaging and fun to drive, I'll continue to be the old curmudgeon enjoying them.

Save the Manuals!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I guess I never will understand why some folks persist in thinking that 'overcomplicated, failure prone, and dumbed down' somehow means more advanced . . . it's just newer, not necessarily better, and may ultimately have motivations based soley on profit, and nothing else . . .

Quilic

TDI
2012 Passat
Got a question. In years to come, when people are searching the forum, do you think "never heard this before" will be a helpful title? Couldn't you have called it "Chevy Cruze diesel targeting VW TDI owners"? Or is it really important to you that EVERYONE has to click on your thread to see what it's about?
Damn, ya'll don't play in here I guess lol

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Better and more advanced are adjectives that may go together, but not automatically.

There has been little advancement made in manual transmission in the last four decades. Synchros were a big improvement, I don't know of another one.
An automated manual is a big advance, but it is placed in the "automatic" category, not "manual."

Automatics are continually evolving. It probably has a lot to do with the lower efficiency. It doesn't mean they are bad.
By no means am I saying they are for everyone. They can be "cool", but a manual is more fun.