Not heard this before

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
paragraph from new article about Chevy Cruze diesel targeting VW TDI owners.

"Volkswagen has already announced its intention to pull its lineup of diesel vehicles from the U.S., a segment that the brand has dominated for years. Certain VW diesel models are expected to remain until 2019 when regulations will changes, forcing VW to pull its diesels from this market unless they are redesigned."

here is the complete article link

http://www.hybridcars.com/next-chevy-cruze-diesel-aimed-at-former-vw-tdi-enthusiasts/

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If Chevy wants to get me to try a Cruze diesel, they better start offering it with something better that a slushbox. A nice 6 speed manual transmission (or even a good dual clutch auto) might get me to give it a test drive. No torque converters or CVTs for me.

Have Fun!

Don

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
paragraph from new article about Chevy Cruze diesel targeting VW TDI owners.

"Volkswagen has already announced its intention to pull its lineup of diesel vehicles from the U.S., a segment that the brand has dominated for years. Certain VW diesel models are expected to remain until 2019 when regulations will changes, forcing VW to pull its diesels from this market unless they are redesigned."
Chevy Cruze eh? Well the evil empire of GM might have something going on. The only constant is change. Maybe GM can pull it off where VW couldn't.

Last edited:

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Got a question. In years to come, when people are searching the forum, do you think "never heard this before" will be a helpful title? Couldn't you have called it "Chevy Cruze diesel targeting VW TDI owners"? Or is it really important to you that EVERYONE has to click on your thread to see what it's about?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
If Chevy wants to get me to try a Cruze diesel, they better start offering it with something better that a slushbox. A nice 6 speed manual transmission (or even a good dual clutch auto) might get me to give it a test drive. No torque converters or CVTs for me.
Have Fun!
Don
Well Don what are you gonna do when that might be all VW offers in the future too? Throw yourself on your sword? Look at their gasser line up. That is part of the reason why I wont surrender my Passat. Life sucks sometimes doesn't it? All the best plans of mice and men eh?

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Got a question. In years to come, when people are searching the forum, do you think "never heard this before" will be a helpful title? Couldn't you have called it "Chevy Cruze diesel targeting VW TDI owners"? Or is it really important to you that EVERYONE has to click on your thread to see what it's about?
"You won't believe what he has to say about that! Click Here to see"

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE

Have Fun!

Don
They may not be able to meet emissions with a manual. Supposedly the 1999-2001 7.3l powerstrokes with automatic transmissions never had catalytic converters becuase you couldnt lug an automatic. The manuals all got catalytic converters.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Yes, it could of been better title. Mea Culpa

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yes, it could of been better title. Mea Culpa
If you would like, the thread title can be changed by a moderator or administrator. The easiest way would be for the OP (you) to just report the first post in the thread. In the explanation for why you reported it, just ask that the thread title be changed to whatever you want.

Have Fun!

Don

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
To be honest, as info about VW the article is pointless. It says that VW will keep some models here, and that since the regulations will change in 2019, VW will have to redesign the engines to meet the new regs.

So, if the regulations change, I'm willing to bet that EVERYONE will have to redesign to meet the changes. That is just part of the life of a car company: Regulations change, and you have to design a new car. Where is Captain Obvious?

I find the info on the engine in the '17 Cruzes to be interesting: 136 hp, 270 lb-ft, from a 1.6L engine. Slightly less horsepower than a stock CR TDI, but as much torque as a tuned TDI. I think that engine is going to need a torque converter. Small displacement and most likely a large (for the displacement) turbo means lots of lag. Enough people complain about the DSG and trying to jump into traffic, imagine having no torque multiplication and no low end torque.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
BMW has just had it's 17 diesels EPA-certified. Same MPGs as VW. Strictest testing ever. So it can be done with 2L engine.

There wont be a real alternative to diesels for the hwy (light-load) MPGs for a long while. Tame the emissions and you're golden. All that regen-braking-recharging stuff is good for city stop-and-go, useless on hwy.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon

Have Fun!

Don
Don't hold your breath waiting for a manual anything. Right now you only see them on the lowest-priced models and specially performance vehicles.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Frankly, if Chevy ever wanted me to consider a Cruze diesel, they would need to offer it in something other than a Chevy . . . just sayin' . . . :) :)

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
Don't hold your breath waiting for a manual anything. Right now you only see them on the lowest-priced models and specially performance vehicles.

. This has my attention big time. GM/FORD is on the move.
If they put one of these in a diesel..............IT SHIFTS FASTER THEN A DSG!!! and with this trans. who would need/want or can rationalize/justify a manual?

Been looking at the CTS V drive line , will have to wait till 2018.
But its coming in the 2017 ZL1 Camaro ANY DAY NOW.

Stay tuned.

Watch the video at the end of the article , note the engineers tonality and confidence . They have a winner............

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ages/news/us/en/2016/may/0511-10speed-gm.html

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
.who would need/want or can rationalize/justify a manual?
I drive manuals because I like the control and the simplicity. I could care less about fuel economy or shift speeds. The car/truck is always in the gear I want and there's much more driving enjoyment that accompanies that interaction. I don't care how good they make an automatic, it can't compete on the visceral level.

(Yes, I see the irony that the two cars I have listed are DSG's)

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Frankly, if Chevy ever wanted me to consider a Cruze diesel, they would need to offer it in something other than a Chevy . . . just sayin' . . . :) :)
Go drive one. Pretty damn nice car as are the new Maibu and Impala.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Go drive one. Pretty damn nice car as are the new Maibu and Impala.
Problems with Cruze - no wagon, too small, no manual trans.

Unless GM want's to expand the Cruze lineup or offer diesel in the E2xx or P2xx platform with manual trans then I'm not really interested in GM products.

Steve

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
Dsg

The DSG (manual with automatic feature) is now OBSOLETE! So are the manuals and the automatic (automatic with manual feature).

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ages/news/us/en/2016/may/0511-10speed-gm.html

This thing really does change everything.
I have to hand it to GM they got all the pieces of the puzzle, TRANSMISSION, MAGNETIC RIDE SUSPENSION, CHASSIS,ENGINE( LT4 6.2 LITER SUPERCHARGED), ELECTRONICS, INTERIORS, (still room for improvement) Tho the noise cancel is trick as is the laminated windows, PRICE POINT, next is the implementation ACROSS ALL LINES.

I never liked GM, in fact I hated GM products, total junk.........fast forward .......now I feel like I am from Missouri, THE SHOW ME STATE.
They are leading by example and a very powerful example at that.
Patience is a virtue !

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I don't drive a manual for speedy shifts - like speedrye - I drive it for control and pleasure . Also - Increasingly - a manual transmission is becoming an anti-theft device :)

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The DSG (manual with automatic feature) is now OBSOLETE! So are the manuals and the automatic (automatic with manual feature).
I have to hand it to GM they got all the pieces of the puzzle, TRANSMISSION, MAGNETIC RIDE SUSPENSION, CHASSIS,ENGINE( LT4 6.2 LITER SUPERCHARGED), ELECTRONICS, INTERIORS, (still room for improvement) Tho the noise cancel is trick as is the laminated windows, PRICE POINT, next is the implementation ACROSS ALL LINES.
I never liked GM, in fact I hated GM products, total junk.........fast forward .......now I feel like I am from Missouri, THE SHOW ME STATE.
Patience is a virtue !
Don't forget those pushrods!

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Problem for me is diesels have to be too complicated with too many things to go wrong to pass emissions. I've noted elsewhere that I need a truck and have looked at the Colorado and the Ram but I don't know.

I'm afraid I'm back to where I was before the JSW concerning diesels......buying used.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars

I saw this Cruze wagon on a recent trip to Germany. If GM is reading this, I'd like a red one with a diesel, 6-speed manual or 8-speed auto.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
Chevy being a reasonable car to drive would be step 1, as I've never experienced that, even tho I've been stuck in a huge number of godawful mid-market chevy rentals over the years. Step 2 would be to have chevy produce a car that hadn't fallen to pieces after 20 years.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Chevy being a reasonable car to drive would be step 1, as I've never experienced that, even tho I've been stuck in a huge number of godawful mid-market chevy rentals over the years. Step 2 would be to have chevy produce a car that hadn't fallen to pieces after 20 years.
If they could bring the reliabilty over from their work vehicles they would be just fine. Ive got a 16 year old chevy van pushing 320k on it now and trundling along reliably with just regular maintenance. Guy before me beat on it some as well.

Some of the newer chevys are quite nice.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
If they could bring the reliabilty over from their work vehicles they would be just fine. Ive got a 16 year old chevy van pushing 320k on it now and trundling along reliably with just regular maintenance. Guy before me beat on it some as well.
Some of the newer chevys are quite nice.
What is the condition of the interior and paint?

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
What is the condition of the interior and paint?
Paint is fine. Every single plastic door handle has been broken and replaced. Some by me, some by the po, chronic express problem just like side door hinges. Otherwise its a work van. Not much to break

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)

I didn't see where they said it would go into a Cruize much less when. Are you saying that they said it'd go into every car? Yeah, show me indeed!

Patience is a virtue !
Does the Cruize have a magnetic ride suspension? Or are you saying you want to trade in the TDI for a Camaro? I'm kind of confused.

From everything I've read, the Camaro is really an achievement. I'd like to look into that as a possible "replacement", but then, it kind of is more expensive, especially if you want a fancy suspension. Not to mention that it's a very different kind of a car.

The Cruize I had for a rental did not have a fancy suspension, and overall felt like an economy car, but better than some other rentals I've had (Versa). Their gas engine was anemic. I dunno, it wasn't a bad car, but not nearly as sporty-feeling as the Golf. I guess it's just too much to ask for a car with nice handling that isn't $35000?

As for GM being "total junk", I haven't had a GM for years, and I never felt like they were junk, even while I owned them. However, cheap plastic and noisy interiors did make them seem a bit "cheap" feeling. How come VW makes a small car without a crappy interior and others do not? I think it's because for Europeans, it's not considered a small or economy car, just a "normal" car. I would like a normal, non-crappy car, please.

The click-bait title could have been better, but did get me to click on it. ;-)