Not happy right now

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
After putting up requests in the local forum and here on TDI101 for anyone to Vag-Com my car to see what might be going on, and getting lots of views but ZERO responses from TDI Clubbers :eek:, a great guy from an Audi site come by on his way home from work tonight. VCDS'd it and found not one single code. So why won't she start???

To recap, battery is good, G28 replaced this week, starter 6 months old, no air in fuel lines, pulled the MAF no diff. Cranks, sometimes at a slower speed sometimes at a higher, but will not under any circumstances fire. Smoke out the tailpipe, so fuel is getting through the engine. Started the problem about a week ago, got worse to the point I had to have it towed on Tuesday.

Suggestion is to look at all fuses and relays. Any prime suspects?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Timing might be off. I'd check the intake and ASV for restrictions.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Get that Audi guy to stop by and VCDS'd it again, namely, check the timing!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I would check the obvious stuff first. TB condition/tension, IP sprocket location and bolts, etc.
personally not familiar with pre-ALH engines, but pretty similar.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Will check the TB, but not expecting to see anything. Due in another 15K miles, changed out by Guru (Matt) with complete kit last time. Wouldn't any of these possibilities happen all of a sudden, vs gradually worsen?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
static timing: rotate engine by hand (with the big bolt on the crank) to top dead center by locating the flywheel mark. Once at TDC, put the IP's lock pin and the cam's lock plate in place. if they do not all line up, your static timing is off.

a walking crank sprocket can cause this and be more gradual/intermittent. common enough on 1Z/AHU. the fix is a new crank sprocket or to have your current sprocket pinned to the crank... or both to prevent future issues if the crank is just a little beat up but still useable.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
May end up taking off work and trailering it the 2 hours up to his shop sooner than planned. It's going up to him in another month or so for a clutch, depending on his lead time (has no space to have a car just parked for an indefinite period of time).

Without having a lock pin or lock plate, could we still check the static timing (or are those things on the engine already and I'm showing my ignorance)?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
........................and getting lots of views but ZERO responses from TDI Clubbers :eek:, ....................?
You got to seek those folks out. A lot of car people don't even get on line. Glad you ran across someone who could help.
Maybe check if it's getting volts to the IP?

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Relay 109 is good. Nothing so far has addressed the varying cranking speeds from one try to the next.

Last edited:

PrintSmith

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - RIP June 2016 - 470,000 on clock. 2004 Jetta TDI Sport new to me June 2016
Verify the timing before you crank it over again. If timing did slip just enough to prevent ignition and it slips just a little more while you are cranking you will then have a problem you didn't start out with.

Different cranking speed could be simply worn battery, worn starter or less than ideal connection between the two, not necessarily indicative of any real problem.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Does the glow plug light come on? Could it be a leaky injection pump? I would first crack an injector line loose (1 full turn on the nut at least)on top of #3 and crank it. Fuel should spray up while cranking at least 8 to 10 inches. If you dont get fuel spraying, its not a timing issue

Edit...

I re-read your initial post..... You say it was a problem that got worse over a period of time. Do you mean it would just be hard to start, but then run fine? Or sometimes start, sometimes not?

Last edited:

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Justin -- would crank a bit longer in the morning, then fire and run perfectly normal. Restarts weren't any problem. Then the problem got a lot worse to where it would take multiple cranking attempts before it would fire after sitting for only a few hours. This past Tues, it wouldn't fire at all after trying on & off for 25 minutes, so I ended up having it towed to our business, since that's where hubby's tools are. This came on over the course of about a week.

I'll ask hubby about how far the fuel spurted when he popped the line, know it wasn't 8-10 inches. I know he was really careful & didn't crack it very much because he knows how much pressure there is at the injectors and the potential for injury.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, we think the timing is ok: the slot in the cam is parallel to the head and the IP lock hole is visible through the pulley. Could not see any kind of anything having to do with a sprocket or mount kind of thing, even with jacking the car up and crawling underneath to check the crank pulley.
HELP US, OH GREAT WIZARDS

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Do what old poopie suggested and see how much spray you get. Just as I and others suggested in your other thread, seems like a fueling issue. Perhaps it just got bad enough that now the car won't start.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Timing is dead nuts on, thank goodness. Fuel solenoid also clicking away. Tried the temp sensor test as well, no diff. Will be checking fuel squirtage distance after a break for some sustenance.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Is the pump original? Wondering if something internal in the pump let loose.Too bad someone didn't have a known good pump to loan.....

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Only got fuel spittage, not squirtage. When hubby pulled the sender from the tank it was pretty dirty and there were globs of stuff in the tank.

No idea on age of the IP, can't remember if it was supposedly replaced before we bought her or not.
EDIT -- IP was supposed to have been rebuilt with Viton o-rings before I bought the car.

Last edited:

Scott58

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 01 Golf
OK, we think the timing is ok: the slot in the cam is parallel to the head and the IP lock hole is visible through the pulley. Could not see any kind of anything having to do with a sprocket or mount kind of thing, even with jacking the car up and crawling underneath to check the crank pulley.
HELP US, OH GREAT WIZARDS
The crank timing mark is on the flywheel end. The "A3 timing belt change" in site articles has a lot of info. http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/A3-TimingBelt/ Here are pics for the timing mark location. The A3 AHU and B4 1Z are the same in most ways.

Locate the plastic TDC cover and remove. Under here is where you will be able to see the flywheel TDC mark. See the next picture to see the mark

... the Flywheel TDC mark lines up with the little aluminum arrow on the bell housing.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Timing is "dead nuts" meaning static or did you check it with VCDS?

The tools fitting does not guarantee the pump timing is right but it shows the sprocket didn't move or the cam would be off.

Your finding the junk in the tank gives you another lead. Obviously need to get that taken care of and a new filter. Maybe just a filter to see if fixes things for a bit.

Plugged filter would cause hard starting and could cause late timing if it causes the pump to suck air. Not to sure why it would be ok the rest of the day other than a warm engine is easier to start than a cold one.

You're finding problems that need fixing. That's making progress

Last edited: