Northern Michigan GTG? CANCELLED! RETRY T.B.A.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
ATTN! We'll try this again later. I'll repost on this forum when ready.As I'm looking to move to the Traverse City area and Dear Wifey is already living there, necessitating weekend road trips (
in the TDI Passat). I'd like to attempt to set up a social GTG in the NW Mi. area as an icebreaker (get it? Spring icebreaker?
). I'm thinking just a lunch in or around TC, compare cars, dealer horror stories, ventectomy scars Etc. I'll bring my VAG-COM just in case too (G.T. Motors charges $100.00 U.S. to READ a CEL!). I see a ton of TDIs around TC and I know of a few folks in the area that are on these forums. So whadaya think? Time to blow the Winter doldrums away with diesel smoke?

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Northern Michigan GTG?

Well darn....since you've helped me out with soooo many of mine I suppose I'll have to drive up there!

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Northern Michigan GTG?

There's one! Although it sorta feels like cheating when you're only 10 minutes away during the week.
Hey Darren, Bongobrains, Wyseguy, tmielke any of you still reading here? Am I sounding needy yet?
I know I've been spoiled by the Diesel Dudes and the good times eating KKs and wrenching around here but time to branch out.BTW, TC has great skiing (X-C and downhill) lots of trails for bikes or hiking and nice hilly drives with local Amoco Premium diesel and even B5 from the pump. Needy enough yet?

DarrenB

TDI
2003 GOLF GLS TDI, Reflex Silver
Re: Northern Michigan GTG?

Yeah! Sounds fun. I live in Interlochen, and I stick close for the weekend about half the time, so I'll need some advance notice as to when we want to do a GTG. I've got a couple small projects I need to do to my car - just been waiting for a spare moment...I betcha I can get a few people from downstate up here too (Zanzabar for one). Do we want to do a "workin' on cars" deal, or keep it strictly social? It'd be fun to do a wine tour on the peninsulas (with designated drivers of course) - lots of scenery and nice windy roads to make a good TDI presense felt!

TDI

Hmmm… pretty quiet here. How about we shoot for a weekend in March? Maybe just a social GTG to start and we can set up a date/time to wrench. If you'd like Darren, email me and we can exchange cel #s. I resemble that lowlander Troll remark Dean!

DarrenB

TDI

Yeah, that sounds good...Let me take a look at my calendar, but the only thing I really might have on the schedule is the Big Ten Tournament in Chicago which I'm thinkin' about heading down for so I can watch my Spartans smoke Illinois like they should have a few weeks ago...

I'd offer my garage up for wrenchin' but to be honest, it isn't heated, it isn't big, its a mess, and for now, I only have one restroom. But I guess if anyone wants to get some things done and maybe needs help from some of the more experienced people than me who might show up, then they're welcome to hang out in my garage as long as they're willing to accept the above-mentioned limitations!

Let me check and see when the Big 10 Tourney is....

DarrenB

TDI

Okay...The Big 10 Tourney is March 10-13, and I just realized that I do have plans for the weekend of March 5, so maybe we can plan something for later in March. The skiing may not be very good then, but to be honest, this winter has been pretty tame up here compared to last winter so the skiing may not be that great anyway.

By the way, I've been giving away alot of Gmail invites to fellow TDI'ers and I have plenty left for anyone who wants one...Send me a PM.

TDI

The end of March is sounding good. How about the 26th? I'm thinking a lunch meet at North Pointe Brewery. Nice atmosphere, can handle a group, good, reasonably priced food, even some local brews for those so inclined. If anyone else has any ideas, let's hear them. I'll see about reservations for eats and if anyone needs accomodations, let me know and I'll sic the wife on motel hunting. I'd put y'all up but the rental we have is tiny and only 1 bedroom
At least I've got Fair Wifey on the same page with me in finding a new casa de MoD, extra bedrooms and a nice big car-hole for GTGs.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon

I'd say that as of today I am open and would like to attend.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)

I can probably do late March. Count me in. We gotta do some wrenching though. I'm looking for a good excuse to do my Tbelt (gotta dump that 'pathetic' tensioner). I also met a guy at Williams VW today that has a beetle TDI. He asked the parts guys about a rear-brake caliper rewind tool and they stared at him blankly.
So I told him to look online and check out TDIclub. Hehe, another victim -evil laugh-.
He'll need a Tbelt soon and some brake work.

DarrenB

TDI

March 26 sounds good to me...My garage can accomodate a few cars before or after lunch if need be. Just keep in mind, my facilities are not the greatest!
North Peak sounds good for lunch or dinner, or whatever we decide. Maybe we should plan a road trip too? There are some great drives up here, as far as the scenery goes.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

Man... a 4 hour drive... hmmm..... that is just in the 'allowable' range... I'll have to give this some thought.

If I came up, think I could get some help installing new vaccuum lines (got a set from wingnut) and bleeding my clutch fluid?

-Jason

TDI

I'm wondering, since this is tending towards a somewhat working GTG, if we want to have lunch somewhere closer to Darrens' in Interlochen. It's a bit of a jaunt in to North Peak but doable. Time-wise, with the long trip to get there for most, I'm thinking a late AM start. Zanzs' "Pathetic tensioner" work will need what, a couple hours at the outside? Now Jasons' hose-n-bleed should get maybe an hour while Zanzs' tensioner is going in. Hopefully, all buttoned up and hungry by 2:00 PM. Maybe all headed home by 6:00? What's everyone think (especially Darren, garage owner)? BTW, Marty (Jetaah) has been making noises about holding a GTG too. It might be easier to do wrenching there and save TC for socializing.One last thing, a cruise out Old Mission Peninsula might be nice, ideas, comments?

DarrenB

TDI

Yeah, as far as those who want to get some work done, you're welcome anytime in the morning...I'm usually up at 7am on weekends. I'm not really much of a mechanic yet so if anyone needs expertise, I'd suggest arranging to have someone who is more knowledgeable meet you at my place at the same time as you. We should probably set up some kind of schedule or something, since my garage is the standard 2-stall arrangement with not a whole lot of room... Hopefully it won't be snowing by then (yikes - we're getting hammered up here right now), so maybe there will be some driveway space. The North Peak is great for lunch, and is about 15 minutes from my house so its not too much of a drive. If we're going to have a good bunch of participants, we should probably find out how many, and let TNP know ahead of time!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

BTW, Marty (Jetaah) has been making noises about holding a GTG too. It might be easier to do wrenching there and save TC for socializing.
I can wait a while to put in the new hoses. I've been toying aorund with the idea of getting some nozzles from kerma... after all... some reccomend changing them every so often anyway to help with emmissions

-J

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI

Very funny Dean.....remind me of when I was 180pounds and able to ride great distances!!!

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI

So Sorry Frugality....I didn't take that in a mean spirited way! Its great that I can laugh at this disease now and at myself !!!

All of you TDI folks have been a super important part of my recovery and I want you to know I certainly do appreciate ya!!!!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

I'm glad you're not peeved.
It's sometimes tough to tell the joking behind the typing, which is why we need things like GTG's up at Marks place...where the sarcasm is freely flowing and completely understood.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)

I can't make it on that weekend guys. I got some other plans. I'll do my TB the next time we GTG down here.

DarrenB

TDI

Hey all, this sucks, but unfortunately, something has come up and it doesn't look like I will be able to do the GTG on the 26th... It looks like the two guys who wanted to wrench also cancelled, so hopefully this won't disrupt too many people. I hope those who do decide to head up here have fun - or perhaps we can schedule another date...

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Northern Michigan GTG?

I'm game. I haven't been that far north in a while. And, as of right now, I have nothing going on that weekend. Count me in.

So, where and what time?

TDI
Northern Michigan GTG?

As of now, it looks like 6-10 people involved in a social GTG meeting at North Peak Brewing Company 400 West Front St. Traverse City Mi. Phone 231-941-7325 Shall we say noonish? North Peak is three blocks East of US-31/M-37 (also known as Division St. in T.C.) on Front St. and about two blocks South of Grand Traverse Bay. If anyone needs better directions, PM me. Then if anyone feels like it, we can take a cruise out Old Mission Peninsula and soak up the sights and atmosphere while adding a bit of our own. There is also a B5 pump out there in case anyone wants to contribute to the local BD economy too.

TDI
Northern Michigan GTG?

Just want to bump this up again. I've got reservations set at North Peak and I'll do what I can to keep the weather cooperative
Come one, come all. See ya there!

TDI
Northern Michigan GTG?

Well, as of this past weekend, we're down to maybe four people attending including myself.
As it is the Easter weekend, what say we reschedule for sometime in April. I'm still open to suggestions and if anyone really would like to meet up this weekend, I'd be glad to do it. It just seems like a long way to drive for lunch for most and at these fuel prices too. Going… going…

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Northern Michigan GTG?

Another time would work better for us.

Mrs. V & I will be in attendance at my brother's annual chili party Saturday night in Grand Rapids.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

And I'm going to be in Wisconsin with family over Easter. But I could bring back some nice micro-brews for the next GTG...