Northeast

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I think we should start figuring out caravans and whatnot, so here goes...

I'm not too familiar with the roads, so let's hear what everyone thinks is going to be the best plan.

I was thinking we should leave Friday evening and stay over at a cheap motel, that way we can get there and have plenty of time on Saturday for activities. I know it's going to take a little more than 12 hours from my house...

valois

Banned
Steve, a staging point could be setup on I95, so that our NY and Canadian members can join up, if someone brings radios, you would be suprised how fast you can go!!

dbrady

Okay, now we're talk'n. Steve If you just want to get there (no site seeing) the best way is mostly on I-95.

You'll go right through Maryland where you can link-up with our small contingent. Then it’s’ off to Rocky Mount, NC. That puts the NY crew on the road for almost 9 hours. The last leg of the trip on Saturday morning is 3 1/2 hours to Carolina Beach, NC. What do you think? Doable?

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
9 hours? That's going to be rough I'd assume. I'm a student so it's fine for me, but I don't know how many people work 9-5 and wouldn't be able to leave early, or drive until 2 in the morning.

Ideal would be driving 6 hours on friday and 6 hours saturday.

Leave at 4pm, drive 3 hours, have dinner, drive three more hours, get a good nights rest, start out at 6am and get to Carolina Beach at noon.

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I don't want to inconvenience you Howard. I think it might be best to go to a cheap hotel/motel for the group.

valois

Banned
Steve, Steve, Steve, I know you are young, but to turn down a Party at Z's. What are you thinking, my young friend?

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
I think I can make it in one tank. Maybe break the Z-Man's NB mileage record*. Are there 2 full day's of activities? I'd have to spend 3 nights in a hotel * $100 = 75% of a tuning box. (Maybe 2 nights?) Are there any economy-minded people going?

*wind assisted

valois

Banned
Karl, if you draft ZMan coming down, you are sure to beat him.
Stay about 3" off his rear bumper and you will have zero wind resistance.
I'll see if I can't get the dealership to cough up something good for the best milage on the trip, use whatever additive that turns your crank. Everybody keep records of your milage. Fill the tank before leaving, obtain receipts. Honor system applies. I am open to suggestions about the schedule. I figure we kick things off for Lunch Saturday, say 14:00hrs to accomodate Staglers. Anybody that gets there earlier can meet at the Hilton. This can be a get to know you kind of thing. After lunch, say 16:30 anyone that wants to head out with Kim can go shopping, or sight see or go to the beach, anyway she will take care of whatever the group wants to do. The rest of us can overview all the metal gathered together and discuss cars. This would be a good time to have the best of show competition. Dinner at 19:00hrs. After dinner, I plan to latch onto ZMAN and go partying.
Anybody wants to come along is welcome.
Sunday. Breakfast at 9:00 or 10:00 (lets be civilized, it is afterall Sunday. Another day of activities for the less inclined at the beach or amusement park, boardwalk, etc..
We can head to the track which is about 30 miles away in a great big caravan around 14:00 hrs.(4 lane, no stoplights) I am figuring 3 or 4 hours at the track say 17:00 hrs. I am looking into getting somebody to cater a good old fashion North Carolina Pig Picking. With some gardenburgers on the side. Strawberry Shortcake and bananna pudding for desert. We high ended on the hotel, I'll do my best to negotiate restaraunt group discounts. 19:00 hrs- return to the Hotel and fresshen up for the party. It's not a masterplan but is starting to take shape, your opinions are more than welcome, I want everybody to have a fantastic time.

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I don't think I can make it in one tank... I'd have to drive 55mph the whole time to have a chance...

valois, I'm not going to inconvenience someone I'm just meeting. Besides, I'm a very private person. I think we should arrange a stopover at a hotel/motel. I don't think I'm the only one who's not going to want to pack into a guest room for a night (especially if anyone's bringing their spouse and kids).

Karl, we'll see how many people are going to caravan with us, maybe we can get a cheap group rate for friday night. At Carolina Beach however, you're getting more than you're paying for, I'm sure.

dbrady

Oppps, didn't realize you weren't taking the day off. Maryland looks like the logical layover point especially on a Friday night on a holiday weekend coming from NY. Look at 6+ hours for your first leg. Did somebody say there’s a party at HowardZ’s?

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
There's a Flying J in Maryland, exit 100 off 95. Good food, good fuel and good place for a potty break.

For those looking for a longer break, there's a motel right next to it.

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing

[This message has been edited by Switca (edited May 05, 2000).]

valois

Banned
I'll be driving up to Albany/ Saratoga Springs, NY on 5/24/00. I am attending a friends wedding, I will be there until Saturday 5/27/00. I will probably be driving the Mercedes, anybody want to meet? I will make some observations of the route.

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
Sure! I'm not positive of my schedule though. Saratoga is a nice place. My wife and I got married at the Inn at Saratoga in '98.
I hope the paint job finally came out okay.

gestalTDIesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Indigo Golf GL
valois, i maybe able to meet you on saturday.
how late in the day would you be staying (albany is about a 3ish hr drive for me)? this is if my work schedule permits of course.

------------------
-joe

2000 Indigo Golf GL TDI

valois

Banned
We were thinking of leaving Saturday morning, my good friend and co-worker is getting married Friday the 26th, I will be providing coverage for him during his subsequent vacation and honeymoon.(only on work related affairs, for the baser minds amongst us
) So, I'll need to get back to Charlotte heading south. I'll be staying at the Brunswick Bed and Breakfast in Saratoga Springs Thursday-Saturday with a contingent of French Nationals coming to the wedding, it will, I am sure, be fun. The number to the B&B is (518)584-6751.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
For those who want to stay overnight at the Flying J, or partay at HowardZ's place in Maryland, I would like to warn you about the I-95/I-495 interchange in Springfield, Virginia. Traffic has not flowed freely there since, oh, I guess around 1968, and now, it is double-plus bad, because Virginia is now on a 10-year mission to bring this interchange up to 20th-century standards.
A real high-colonic bologna implant. (The most oblique way I could think of to refer to it as a major PITA.) You probably do not want to try this interchange much after 6 A.M., although in the morning, I expect much of the traffic to be parked in the opposite direction.
I just wanted to warn everyone about one of the most serious bottle-necks on the east coast. The other one would be, of course, the Wilson Bridge, which crosses the Potomac river, between Maryland and Virginia. This is a decrepit draw bridge, believe it or not, an actual draw-bridge on the U.S.A.'s Interstate "Highway" System! Fortunately, it is now allowed to open only during the night, around 2 or 3 A.M., so day-time back-ups there are due to other reasons, such as when it gets stuck, or there is an accident, or even the normal back-ups you get when you cram 5 lanes of traffic onto a 3-lane bridge.
I would like to think that once you pass this gauntlet, you will be "home free".

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
Being from Montclair (Northern VA) and going to school at ODU (Norfolk), I can vouch that the Hampton Roads Bridge/Tunnel is another major PITA. But if anyone goes across is on the way down, you're definitely not on the right track
!

John

BTW, I heard they just lowered the speed limit to 50 mph in places at Springfield?

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
Count me out on the Carolina GTG. I'd really like to go, though. Aside from being a cheap b*****d, it would start a precedent of separate vacations. As a matrimonial veteran, (#4 now), I don't need to screw up again.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I won't be going to Carolina either, although I very much would like to. But at least the Carolina GTG gave me the motivation to start organizimg a Northeast/New England GTG.

Karl--wow. I'm "only" on #2, and trying to keep it that way! (Time for a survey?)

gestalTDIesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Indigo Golf GL
Tazz and Jeff, if you two are coming from Montreal i could meet up with you anywhere between Albany, NY and/or somewhere on I95 near/after NY city.

this also applies to anyone coming from the New England area.

IS anyone else coming from NE or eastern Canada?

i would definatly be interested in meeting up and i figure we could have an additional meeting point just after NY city on I95 for any new yorkers.

keep me posted!

------------------
-joe

'00 Indigo Golf GL TDI

Tazzman

Veteran Member
Wow
thanks guy
Eamiling away as I write away

Sound like a PARTY TO ME!!!!!111
Tazz
JS SMKN