non-tdi stuff to do

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Let's say I was able to come up to the fest, with wife and two kids in tow (3.5 and 1.5 yrs old).
Is there enough local stuff to do where she and the kids would be entertained for a day or so? And assuming my car will be on display with me, she would need access to train or bus to get around.

Just a shot in the dark, maybe those bringing spouses/kids already have some ideas in mind. I can't afford to go to Europe this year but maybe I can still leave the country

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
My wife and kids(6yrs old, 4yrs old and 4 mos. old) will be there. My wife will have her car there (not a VW or diesel) and I'm sure (like previous Fests) there will be some car pooling happening amongst the wives. There's plenty to do in Burlington (shopping, waterfront activites, walks, etc). Taxis are available and everything is in the neigbourhood.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Keep the suggestions coming please, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Going the distance with the kids is going to be a challenge.

Anyone from the east coast planning to shoot up and back in a day or two max?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If you plan on coming a day early or staying a day or so later, theres also Marineland or Paramount Canadas Wonderland.Each place could easily take up a full day to explore. They are both about 45 minute drives from the hotel, but in opposite directions.

If you are going to visit downtown Toronto, I also reccommend going to Centre Island for an afternoon. Great for small children (2-10) and very reasonably priced. Ontario Place is also downtown and a great day of fun for the whole family. In fact, the labor day weekend is also when the Canadian National Exhibition aka the CNE or The EX takes place. There are carnival rides & games, car shows, animal displays, shopping, & even an air show.

Leafsfan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI Highline 6MT, Pure White
I would recommend a day trip for the wife and kids to be a trip to downtown Toronto. There is the greatest choice of things to do there. Lot's of shopping and things to see like a visit up the CN Tower. Once downtown, a trip over to the Toronto Islands is a great way to spend a day if the weather is good! For those who want to go to Toronto, but won't have wheels to get there, an easy way is to take the GO Train. It is a cummuter train that runs every hour to and from downtown Toronto. There is a GO Train station located in Burlington, not far from the hotel. Just buy a return ticket to Union Station, and you can't get lost! Union station is right in the middle of downtown Toronto. For GO Train info, visit: www.gotransit.com

S

sooner

25 minutes west of cayuga is a town named Port Rowan.
It is located on the lake, naturally, and is a very tranquill setting.
This is an agricultural people who have a "bayfest" Aug.29,30,31 or can be found on this website looking at the Labour Day Week-end.
Link: www.portrowan-longpoint.org/bayfest
Hope this helps in your search.
This town can be travelled to best by the lakeshore road from port dover .

ben stevens

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
come a day or two earlier or stay over monday and see toronto and especially the CNE (expo). monday(labor (labour) day) they have a big airshow. GO transit at burlington station will sell you a round trip ticket and CNE ticket. they stop right at the expo and run trains about every hour during the week. labor day still has many trains. web site is gotransit.com

S

sooner

The sands hills are the earths rare treasure's ,mountains of white sand that eclipse onto the beach in 40 acres of pristine wilderness, where :norwegian prose; the saga begins

fincoop

Veteran Member
The airshow does rock!

It happens over the water so you're also fairly protected from any crashes

Advice: Bring a chair, sunscreen and something to eat/drink.

Somebody posted links for all the toursisty stuff

Benjibird

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon - Stonehenge Grey (del. Oct 16/04)
The Annual Burlington Rib Fest is on that weekend at Spencer Smith Park (5 minutes from the Holiday Inn) on Lake Ontario. Great food and bands.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
i'll have a 3 year old to add to the mix... And a wife too
and from what I've been able to describe to here about the weekend sounds like Sunday after brunch is the time for them to take off and do stuff? I'm not planning on showing my car (me have a clean car for TDI Fest much lest a GTG? Ya gotta be kidding) so they can take it if need be (unless my vehicle is required for examination) and load at least a few other folks in there too.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my father in law gave us tickets to the US Open on Saturday, so my trip is officially off.
Sorry guys, see you all next year if it's on the east coast.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
There'll be other cars that will be available for our spouses to car pool with (and other kids too).

Danix - you'd turn down TDI Fest for tennis?
We'll miss you but have fun!