Non-food based fuel passes flight tests.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I don't get the advantage: if competition for food stocks is the issue, what's to prevent farmers from planting these non-food crops instead of food crops, therefore lowering the amount of land available for food production? Seems to me the only "green" biofuel so far is recycled WVO biodiesel. If you're growing for fuel, regardless of if it's soy, canola, or this crop, you're still taking food cropland out of production. I think that's the appeal of algae, since in theory it can be done on the chimneys of power plants.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
They should plant the mediums in the interstates along with the sides. They are cutting or mowing them anyway. There are 47,000 mi of interstate, Which equals alot of crop land going to waste.

Last edited:

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I don't get the advantage: if competition for food stocks is the issue, what's to prevent farmers from planting these non-food crops instead of food crops, therefore lowering the amount of land available for food production? Seems to me the only "green" biofuel so far is recycled WVO biodiesel. If you're growing for fuel, regardless of if it's soy, canola, or this crop, you're still taking food cropland out of production. I think that's the appeal of algae, since in theory it can be done on the chimneys of power plants.
Many states, if not all agricultural crop states pay farmers per acre NOT to plant it with food crops. (look up CRP, CREP or WHIP) So why not use land to produce our own fuel?

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
Ahh, I see, it's not a green vs. not-green issue, it's a subsidy issue. Thanks for clearing that up, makes more sense now.