Noisy brakes while backing

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
It does not matter if I'm leaving the driveway first thing in the morning or backing out of a spot later in the day. Whenever I apply the breaks while backing the back breaks squeal and moan. I have 4200 miles on the car. Anyone else notice this?

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
Just about every morning for me whether backing or pulling out, mostly damp times it sounds like a narwhal. It reminds me of the noises after a fresh brake change and needing a little time to bed the pads and rotors.

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
Could not possibly think of a better way to describe the noise. Happens to me as well and always in reverse gear, never forward.
My wife came up with that after watching Elf 500+ times this Christmas season and everytime she hears it she says "Bye buddy, hope you find your dad"

njiska

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MkVII Golf
As of the 15000 km inspection both the rotors and pads look fine. No unusual or uneven wear. Typical patina if the car has sat for a while without use.

BarryG20

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I get the same as well only backing down my driveway when they may be wet/damp. Not a daily thing. It is freaking loud and annoying as heck. Have wondered if it wakes up any of the neighbors at 5am, Has never done it any other time except that first reverse of the morning when the brakes may be wet/damp.

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
First thing my Wife asked "Is this a cheap car, the Jetta does not do this" I agree it is loud enough to be heard a few houses away. Not a very encouraging sound from a brand new car.

I get the same as well only backing down my driveway when they may be wet/damp. Not a daily thing. It is freaking loud and annoying as heck. Have wondered if it wakes up any of the neighbors at 5am, Has never done it any other time except that first reverse of the morning when the brakes may be wet/damp.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Happens with me too, only on damp mornings though. I almost always back up first thing, so I don't know whether it's direction specific or not. I sort of thought it would go away over time, but ~6500 miles and it still happens. I don't see it as particularly concerning, but I may ask my dealer at next service if it continues.

Last edited:

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Sums up my experience.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Try placing Copperslip, a high melting point grease, liberally on the reverse the pads, on the callipers where the pads make contact and on the calliper carriers where they touch, as these are the areas where the noise will be coming from; not where the friction material meets the disc as most people assume.

If you do this on all pads on the car, not only will this get rid of the noise completely, the brakes operate more freely and it will prevent uneven wear of the pads by helping them to slide without sticking in the calliper carrier.

FF

Last edited:

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
Uneven wear? Ive been in and out of the dealership asking for them to find out whats making my noise... they keep saying its a German car thing. I haven't yet taken it to my friend that works at good year to take a look at it.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Mine does this. I'd say its fairly normal. My brand new Tundra did the say thing, in drive or reverse, until I went through a couple of stops.

Jmartz

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
My 15 Golf TDI squeaks when backing up also, but only after rain or on super humid mornings when there's a lot of moisture on the car...

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
From the MKVI TDI experience, I would say this is normal.

I was sick over the weekend. The weather has been topsy turvy this weekend. When I parked the VW on Friday is had been raining. Saturday it rained again, Sunday when I felt a little more normal, I did an oil change as well as my Fuel filter change. While under the car, I looked over the brakes and the scale from two days of sitting was much more than I expected.

Inspecting the pads and rotors, all are ORIGINAL to the car with 70,000 miles. The pads are at better than 3/4 of their original thickness and do not need to be replaced. While the rotors do scale up from time to time, a hard brake to bed them again results in proper braking limits. On occasion, I also do a hard apply to the hand brake to do the same.

If I had to do brakes at this juncture, I would buy OEM Pads and Rotors due to the great Service life they give. Even though I sell parts for a living, I want the life and service that I've gotten out of the factory parts. I have tried some other parts on this VW and that has been a mistake. I've replaced these parts back to original parts from the Dealer and have not had issues. I like doing things ONCE because my time and effort as a mechanic is precious to me.

My .02 cents

Smevans

TDI
'15 TDI| 78' Datsun 280Z (Sold)
Yup pretty normal. Mine makes noise every morning when I back up.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
"Its a German thing" is what the dealership told me one day. Go with OEM pads. I have a chevy thats pushing 170k+ or so work truck thats still on factory pads. Last oil change i still had 3/4 left....

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
same noise problem here with my MK7 with 6000 miles, I was thinking of taking it to the dealer but don't want to get the runaround for an issue that's hard to reproduce. Every time it rains/snows and i back out of my parking spot either outside or in the garage

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Maybe another solution would be to reverse into the garage or parking space and drive off forwards....

You wouldn't see/hear a problem then....

upstateTDI

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Same here...parked the car for 24 hours at the airport during a cold snap (-10F)...backed out of the parking spot and heard this noise for the first time...assumed it was from frozen parking brake...

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
I just moved my car after sitting for a week and the front right sounded so bad, like metal on metal. I stepped on the brakes hard, someine cut me off. It sounded so bad my dad thought something snapped off.

bodhisattvah

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I've had the same thing for over a year (and 20k miles) with my TDI. This is my first VW of any kind, and this one thing seems asinine. Everyone I've talked to that's familiar with VWs says it's run of the mill for them.

It sounds like a Godzilla scream to me. Or a trumpet. Only happens in reverse if it's cold out and the brakes are cold. It's definitely a design issue. A little loud when a car has been parked for a prolonged period is normal--corrosion happens. This...this is something I've never experienced before.

I'm going to replace the rotors when the OE pads die. It'll be worth it to never experience that sound ever again. What's typical life for OE VW pads? On my three Civics, the OEs lasted around 60k, and my replacements lasted 100k+.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Wow, I was worried I was the only one.

Mine squeak in forward or reverse, usually when the car is cold. After driving it around for a bit it clears up, until the next time...

I can actually hear a lot of activity down there, like the brakes opening & closing.

Last edited:

gingerbarry62

TDI
2015 GSW TDI
Happens to my GSW as well in the morning.
Not every day, but some.

I'm parked underground though and it only happens the first couple times you touch the brake pedal.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Brake rotors are made of cast iron, because it has the best thermal and friction properties (better than steel). It's also about as corrosion resistant as dimensional lumber is fire retardant (read: hardly at all). As a result, it picks up surface rust when moisture gets on the rotors and sits. This creates an uneven surface and extra noise until the pads scrub away this surface rust. Welcome to disc braking systems.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
Brake rotors are made of cast iron, because it has the best thermal and friction properties (better than steel). It's also about as corrosion resistant as dimensional lumber is fire retardant (read: hardly at all). As a result, it picks up surface rust when moisture gets on the rotors and sits. This creates an uneven surface and extra noise until the pads scrub away this surface rust. Welcome to disc braking systems.
I've owned many cars with disc brakes. I've never heard the unnatural dying whale noise my 2015 Golf makes when I reverse sometimes, typically in the morning, when its been slightly cold.

kranzandrew

TDI
MKVII 2015 Golf TDI S, Mk IV 2005 Jetta TDI PD, 1997 B4 Passat TDI 5speed Bio
The noise haven't been bothering me but now at 10k miles it has gotten worse. Leaving the driveway without having touched the breaks their is a terrible screeching that can be heard down the block, then coming to the stop leaving my street (haven't touched the break yet) the breaks let out a howl to be heard for 5 blocks easy. They also grab so hard that the car leeches to a halt uncomfortably. It doesn't go away entirely till I've made 3 more good stops from at least 30. I think it has to do with the temperatures coming down here, we're now getting mornings in the low 60s I hope this isn't even worse when it gets really cold.