Noise When Turning...

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
I noticed it yesterday as I was turning the wheel to the left while turning around in a cul-de-sac...

Hard to describe..not grinding or rubbing...a sort of low speed rumble...

Anyone else experience anything like this???

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Such as older american cars when the steering is at full lock? Is that the power steering assist pump working at full duty cycle (=bad to do to often, if so, go to full lock, then back off a little)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have the same noise and it has nothing to do with steering lock to lock not sure what it is almost sounds like brakes are metal to metal......

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
As I have to make an appointment to get the 2nd full function key (long story) coded to the car, I will have the service writer take a ride with me in their parking lot so he can hear it for himself...

I have looked at the rotors and they look fine, but will include having the brakes checked also.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Noise When Turning...Completed

As I have to make an appointment to get the 2nd full function key (long story) coded to the car, I will have the service writer take a ride with me in their parking lot so he can hear it for himself...

I have looked at the rotors and they look fine, but will include having the brakes checked also.
Update - 8/26/2004

After three days at the dealer, I finally get my car back today with new rims and Michelins mounted on the rims
. No other explanation from the service writer but I am not complaining as they did what I wanted

Update 8/6/2004

Took the car to the dealer and had the Service manager ride with me.

He heard the noise and got the senior tech to ride along and he heard the noise also.

After much discussion, Service manager got another Passat TDI off the lot and there was no noice but this car had steelies with Michelins and I have alloys with Continentals...

Another B5.5 TDI with alloys and Continentals was in for service, so the service manager took it for a drive and heard the same noise.

After lengthly discussions, they say it is the tires making the noise...

I told them I wanted the Continentals replaced with Michelins.

Service manager says he checked with the dealership GM who said to check with the factory rep who said basically "Ya gots whatcha got"...

So I called VWoA customer support and opened a complaint against the factory rep and the tires.

Lets see what happens...

Update - 8/9/2004

VWoA called back and said I had to deal with service manager at the dealership and the field rep.

Called the service manager and he is going to call the guy over the field rep to have him come down and hear the noise and decide if he wants to replace the tires with Michelins.

Will let y'all know what happens...

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It is funny that this came up today......
I was on my way to work and heard the noise again.....and it is only when you are going slowly and turning slowly.
I came to the conclusion today that it it was the tires.
The Car came with 15" Continental Touring tires I have since changed these to 16" Glx wheels and tires and they are the same tires 1 size bigger and they make the same noise.