Noise coming from center of steering rack

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
My wagon only has 114,000 miles, but whenever I wiggle the wheel I get a click from someplace that sounds to be the center of steering rack. It is definitely not tie rods either inner, outer, or ball joints, or universal joints at base do steering column . However that's all I know how to check.

Normally I'd just swap out the rack, but my last car had way more than double the miles, and no signs of problems.

Anybody ever have something similar happen?
Can anyone think of something to check?
Or do I just swap steering racks?

alhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd TDI
There is a steering adjustment screw near the pinion shaft of the steering rack that adjusts how tight or loose the steering is as well.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a steering adjustment screw near the pinion shaft of the steering rack that adjusts how tight or loose the steering is as well.
Oh!
I had no idea.
Will look soon.

alhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd TDI
Personally , if your rack isn't leaking fluid, and all the parts you said in you first post have checked out and are fine I would just run the rack. However I am not sure how loud the click is. All my cars we not noticeable when just driving around town really, only when the car was off were they apparent.

My 01 jetta had a leaking hard line attached to the rack, which I had to swap out. I got a new ZF Rack with inner and outer tie rods from Worldpac thru Carquest.

alhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5 spd TDI
Before you mess with the screw I'd read up on the correct adjustment procedure in the bentley manual.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Bentley manual page 48-24

Power steering gear, adjusting

< Use of a helper is necessary to adjust steering gear

- raise vehicle and position front wheels straight ahead.

- Turning steering wheel back and forth (approx. 30 deg from center) will produce a knocking noise if play is excessive.

- Carefully turn adjustment screw I. Until knocking noise can no longer be heard from inside vehicle.

- Road test vehicle to ensure steering returns to center without sticking.

Secure lock nut for adjustment screw with a punch mark.

There is also a drawing of a ratchet with short extension on the BACK of the base of the steering column, where I would expect the pinion to meet the rack.

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
No power steering leaks on my car.

The steering is a bit more sloppy than I would expect.

The noise is almost loud enough for non car people to notice it, but any car guy immediately goes "what's wrong with your front end".

It's only been noticeable to me for about a month.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
Adjusted
17mm nut on back side, not front.
Tighter reduces play.
PLEASE get someone to wiggle the steering wheel that isn't used to a Ford Econoline. My dad kept saying tighter was opposite of what I thought was better.