Noise at idle

D3L3

TDI
2015 Jetta
Hello all, I am glad to find this forum and maybe it will be able to help me out. Thank you for your time!

I have a 2015 VW Jetta TDI SEL manual. I really enjoy this car, and was hoping to have it for a long time. I have put the Rawtek downpipe delete with the supplied Malone tune. I did not have an issue from that and have enjoyed the fruits of that labor. That was around 130k, right after a shop installed timing belt. I just hit 190k on the odometer and a noise started to arise when at idle.

The noise is growling in nature, only when the engine is in idle. It is also not present when the car is cold, it is exceptionally loud when warmed up. I cannot hear it in the engine bay, but it is definitely there when in the cab. I have noticed a slight decrease in overall power at the lower end of the throttle. It is not enough to be a detriment.

I have ran Seafoam in the fuel every 25k or so miles. I try to keep the fuel filter oil changes to 6-7k, but have slacked a time or two. I have not started tearing into the engine as it is my daily driver. That is why I am here, would anyone on here know where a good place to start? Things to test first? Has anyone dealt with a similar problem?

Thank you again for your time! I appreciate it!

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Might be your turbo going bad. Could pull the intake side pipe and exhaust side (dpf) connection and check for excessive shaft play.