Noise after shut off [1.8T]

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
Hi all,

I've owned my 14 Jetta SEL for almost a month. I spend a lot of time driving at night to get home and when I pull into the garage it is very quiet. What I have noticed is there is a mechanical/motor noise from the passenger side rear wheel area after I shut the car off. At first, I thought the noise was from the front as the acoustics in my garage fooled me. I assumed it was a pump circulating coolant for the turbo as my old Audi had such a system. But this is coming from the rear of the vehicle. I assume it is related to some emissions/fuel system as the gas filler is right above the sound. It is electric motor in its sound: similar to my Land Rovers suspension air pump refilling the tank.

Any idea what this is? Do they pressurize the tank or something?

Thanks,

Rob

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
I bet being it's an sel that it has the electric parking /auto brake feature. If so the the car will run the brake after the car is shut off from time to time to keep it from seizing up from lack of use. I had it on my 06 passat 3.6 - 4motion.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
Thanks. I did a search on the web and it may be the fuel pump priming? Who knows...

Rob

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A video of the noise would be helpful. Is it high pitched or low pitched?

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
I can try to capture it, really sounds like a low presure pump or fan running at the rear of the car.

Rob

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I can try to capture it, really sounds like a low presure pump or fan running at the rear of the car.

Rob
I just realized that this is on your 1.8T. I really have no idea, as I'm not familiar with that engine... haven't even driven one yet or heard one run.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
I seem to recall someone on vortex talking about this noise in their sel and I think they said it was fuel pump priming. I cant find the thread to be sure though.

kojak

TDI
jetta [2010 ]
noise

I believe you will find it is your fuel pump.... I hear the same noise after shutdown and never second guess that it coming from the electric fuel pump:)

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
I know the proximity between the tank and the noise seems to support the speculation that it is the fuel pump, but would it really continue to run 30-60 seconds after I have shut the car off and exited the vehicle? I can walk all the way around the car after getting out at a relaxed pace and it is still going, this seems really strange to me.

Rob