No Tdis For 2007 Offical Word.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
OK I HAVE JUST SEEN THE VW ORDER BOOK FOR 2007, NO TDIS LISTED FOR GOLF/RABBIT, JETTA, BEETLE. ONLY TDI WILL BE IN TOUREG W-10 SO RUSH OUT AND BUY THAT NEW 2006 AS SOON AS POSSABLE.. BUT I ALSO HAVE WORD THAT NEW TDI ENGINE WILL BE IN 2008.:cool:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
This has been well documented here for months......
VW cannot meet 2007 Emission standards that is the reason for no 2007's
They have however extended the 06 Model run until week 39
So this means that the gasser being built next in line to your TDI is an 2007 while your TDI is an 2006

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Had a very interesting conversion with an "unnamed" contact at VWNA. There is a catch 22 with the EPA and VW as it relates to TDI's in North America for 2007. To get proper certification on the vehicles they must be submitted to the EPA no later than 3/31 for certification the following year. The EPA works with the manufacturers to ensure that the data represented is accurate given current variables. The biggest of which is fuel.
As we all know there is currently no such things as USLD available in quantity. Thus the results submitted with existing variables did not meet 2007 standards.
Now, we all know that USLD will be available in quantity between September 1 - October 15 depending on what deadline you follow. That change will allow the VW TDI to meet 2007 requirements. Week 39 ends September 30.
They can re-submit for certification and have clearance for vehicles to enter as 2007 by December 1. Thus there will be 2007.5 TDI's. In the mean time there will only be 2006 TDI's.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
So Eric,

What you are saying:

1. We all know VW is making TDI's up until Week 39 of a calender year which is September of 2006. Which we all know usually end up being the next years' models(2007).

2. ULSD is expecting to hit the scene in the US September-October of 2006 and will allow the VW to meet emission standards in North America.

3. VW can resubmit for EPA testing December 1, 2006 which means a 2007.5 could be released, as typically done in the spring.

So why would VW continue the TDI model year production as late as week 39 if they had no ability or intent to sell those vehicles?

Is there a chance that the late production 2006's don't make it to the US? The worst thing that could happen is that the 2007's like you're saying get a late introduction in 2007 and 2007.5's. Maybe next fall.

L

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
tongsli said:
So why would VW continue the TDI model year production as late as week 39 if they had no ability or intent to sell those vehicles?
They can sell them if they're still technically 2006 model year vehicles. The VINs will say that they are 2006 Jettas, which means they can be sold in the US (or in non-CARB states, anyway) for as long as VW has supply.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
HSD , LSD , & ULSD will be sold until mid year 2010 . That is when the phase in of ULSD ends and all fuel in the US must be ULSD .

There are many parts of the US that are rural that will not have ULSD for well into until late next year at the earliest . This is from the EPAs own web site .

So no VW diesel powered cars requiring ULSD ONLY will be sold until ULSD is in wide spred use in every part of the US . And according to the US EPA this will not happen until late next year . So I think an 07 model year VW diesel is almost impossible at this point . But maybe we will get a mid 08 model year new VW diesel if every state in the US has ULSD in quantity all over their state . If this doen't happen on time then no new diesels with 07 or 08 model year diesel emissions will be sold in the US .

This introduction of ULSD wide spred all over the US is still very much up is the air at this point over when it will completely be in place .

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
I find the above information suspect to interpretation of EPA 40 CFR Part 80 Document Here. As it currently stands, beginning June 1, 2006, Petroleum Refiners must have in place production of USLD with a testing limit of 15ppm sulfur with an error rate of no more than 3ppm for all 80% of their on-road diesel. Regulations for fuel terminals go into effect on September 1, 2006 with the regulations for Retailers starting October 15, 2006. Retailers will be able to sell LSD, and USLD until 2010. The 80% rule is to ensure that the dominant product in the supply chain is the USLD. Beginning June 1, 2006 Labeling requirements will change to dictate exactly what is coming out of the pump. Now the labeling provision says for Truck stops, so I cannot verify if this will happen at normal retail outlets. Here is a very good Document that will answer some more questions.

Regardless of the situation on the distribution chain, the USLD will be flowing through the system starting June 1 with availability at the retail level on October 15th. Thus, VW only needs to resubmit their vehicles for certification after the 15th.
http://www.natso.com/Content/NavigationMenu/InformationCentral/UltraLowSulfurDiesel/Frequently_Asked_Questions/default.htm

Normando

TDI
Spice Red Jetta Wagon GLS TDI TIPTRONIC
No Tdi for Canada in 2007 confirmed

intertan said:
ok so no tdi in the states? what about canadian tdi's?
Almost 60% of new cars sold at Bytek VW in Ottawa Canada are TDI, that is around 800 tdi's last year. I was told by the sales manager that they are expecting a slow year. He believes only a few tdi would be buyers will purchase a gasser instead, most will wait the extra year or so for the new line.

He told me the owner of his dealership owns 17 dealers and VW is one of the smallest so they can weather the storm if it gets really bad for them.

Normando

Westminter

TDI
Jetta Automatic, 2002, Silver
I think SOP week 27, 2006, means start of production of '2006' TDI's to the '2007' specifications [changes per the Vortex thread]. End of production for the extended model year '2006' is week 39. So for 12 weeks / 3 months '2006' TDI's [with certain '2007' changes] will be produced together with the 2007 model year non-TDI's.

SCEHAR

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Black
I have my doubts as to VW stock pilling them to get them through the year. My understanding is they just sold 50K 1.9 TDI engines to Daimler Chrysler who is going to put them in the Dodge Charger and sell them over seas. I am going to stick to my interpretation of whats going on right now and I think you will see about a 6 month gap between availability. Remember they are going to have to switch over the production line to the common rail and with all the robotics they use I don't anticipate that being an easy change over.
-Sean

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
" My understanding is they just sold 50K 1.9 TDI engines to Daimler Chrysler who is going to put them in the Dodge Charger and sell them over seas."

DCX already have a diesel engine for the 300/Charger. "In its first showing, the Chrysler 300C will be getting the all-new, all-aluminum turbocharged V-6 for European markets, and possible North American consumption. The new engine is smaller and lighter than the previous I-5 European diesel, with 3.0 liters for displacement, producing 207 horsepower and a whopping 376 lb-ft of torque at 1600 rpm. The CRD (common rail diesel) uses high-pressure injection, variable geometry fins on the turbocharger, four-valve heads, and dual overhead cams -- the result is more power while burning less fuel, sending fewer pollutants out the exhaust. Look for diesel 300Cs to use the same five-speed automatic used in the Chrysler Hemi."

http://www.intellichoice.com/autoshow/showVehicle/show/Frankfurt/vehicle/516/start/1

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
SCEHAR said:
Remember they are going to have to switch over the production line to the common rail and with all the robotics they use I don't anticipate that being an easy change over.
Actually, with all the robotics they use, I anticipate that it will be a VERY easy change-over. (I do a lot of work with automation customers.) Any new machining operations or new tooling will be de-bugged off-line before the production changeover. THAT takes some time, but it allows production of the outgoing version to continue right up to the date that all the new tooling and parts are in place.

I know that when Honda changed from the old (2001 - 2005) to new (2006+) body style Civic, the production delay was one blank spot on the assembly line. That's it. The first 2006 model rolled down the line one space after the last 2005 model.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
I know that when Honda changed from the old (2001 - 2005) to new (2006+) body style Civic, the production delay was one blank spot on the assembly line. That's it. The first 2006 model rolled down the line one space after the last 2005 model.
Impressive! I'd hate to get that first car though.

magbarn

My parents currently own a home in arizona. I'm currently living in california. Is it a problem to buy one of the last 06 TDI's in AZ with my parent's address and then bringing it to socal?

ibldrc

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
magbarn said:
My parents currently own a home in arizona. I'm currently living in california. Is it a problem to buy one of the last 06 TDI's in AZ with my parent's address and then bringing it to socal?
You could get away with it if you have an AZ license and pretend to live there. The CA police are quite aware of whats going on when you have AZ plates, and show a CA license with CA residence. If I were in your situation, I'd buy the car in your parents name, keep it that way till you hit 7500 miles, then have them transfer it to you as a gift.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Frank said:
If VW is true to its history, then we can expect the 2008 CRD in 2009 maybe. :)
I'm really thinking hard about picking up an '06. By 2009 our cars will be very high milers and I need reliable wheels to commute. TDIs hold their value well so I don't find this a high-risk proposition, if a better TDI really does come out at the end of '07 (as an '08 MY) then I can always trade up. But like you I fear that 2008 may morph into 2009 and if that happens VW dealers in Canada will start dropping like flies due to the fact that 50%of their sales are diesels and many won't set a toe in a VW dealership for anything other than a diesel.

I would trade the Jetta wagon, as I kind of like our Passat. The only downer is no wagon unless I want an '06 A4 wagon but I'd rather have all the A5 goodies. I do have a roof box I suppose, for trips and such.

I came close to buying an Audi A4 but the wife said "nein!" so an '06 TDI, all-dressed (manual though) would be a fair compromise and $20k cheaper than the A4 I was looking at, and would keep us "in diesel" until the new ones come 'round.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Hey gang, I don't want to start a rumor, but I was calling around today and spoke to 2 different VW dealers in NJ. Newton VW has no TDIs in stock and said that there will be no 07 Jetta TDIs available due to emission standards (which came as no surprise). Then I called Rockaway (Trend) VW and the salesman (who had 3 '06 TDIs in stock) told me that the 07s were coming out in a couple months. When I told him I was only looking for a TDI, he said that VW had 'resolved the issues' and are now going to ship Jetta TDIs to the US by early Sept. of this year.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
JustLuckey

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Last word I heard was that VW was extending production on the 2006 TDIs. THey'll be sold as 2006 models; I doubt there will be many (if any) left by 2007. I think 3193 (Chris) just recently posted something about this in the for sale section.