No TDI for Two Weeks... Almost Over!!!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

My car's been at the body shop getting a total repaint after suffering some wind/sand damage. The first few days were used to remove all of the trim, lights, bumpers, windshield, and side glass from the car. Then the car waited in line for the paint shop. This week, they've stripped the old paint, did very minor body work, and taped everything off. This morning they're removing the antenna, which requires removing the fender!
The car gets painted, clearcoated, and baked today. Reassembled tomorrow (with new lights, badges, and windshield) and touched up (denibbed and polished) Friday. Unless something goes wrong, I should be STEALTH again by Friday afternoon.

They seem to be doing a bang-up job. State Farm is covering everything to do the job right... around $3000 for the whole job. Funny thing is that this all started when I wanted the windshield repaired and a small dent pulled from my door. Of course, the windshield was easy. The door was going to be a collision claim requiring a $250 deductible... a long separate story. Things really changed when I said, "Look! I've been a State Farm customer for 15-years! During this time, I've paid well over $10,000 in premiums. Are you telling me that I can't have $60 so a dent-wizard can press this dent out?" The rest is history. BTW, my deductible for comprehensive is $0. So guess what I'm paying for this $3000 overhaul? ZERO!

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Stealth TDI ]

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

The body shop took a several photos while painting yesterday. Here are a few:

After sanding and light body work...

After spraying on the sealer...

After spraying the color...

After spraying on the clearcoat...

I'm pretty happy so far. The color is just a smidget lighter. I think this is because there are more "metallic" particles in the paint. Plus, the clearcoat is slightly different and provides a much deeper shine than stock.

They're putting the hardware back on the car today. Then they'll de-nib and touch up the rest of the car tomorrow.

Looks like I'll have my ride back by 5pm.

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Stealth TDI ]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Stealth, cool pics of the work. Did they say how much to perform all that work if you were paying for it??

That is a significant undertaking when they strip everything off the car but really the only way to make it right.

Hope it looks great when you go pick it up.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dieseldorf:
Stealth, cool pics of the work. Did they say how much to perform all that work if you were paying for it??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>BTW, my deductible for comprehensive is $0. So guess what I'm paying for this $3000 overhaul? ZERO!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to be a wiseguy.
Actually, that $3000 includes the $450 windshield, $225 for new headlights, $112 for new foglight lenses, new blinkers, and new emblems. However, the labor rate paid by State Farm is only $35/hour. I'm pretty sure a MB dealer would never let ME get off that cheap, even in this bordertown. It must be something these body shops work out with insurance companies. I'll ask the shop tomorrow when I pick the car up.

Scott

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's going to be like a new car

What do you plan to do to protect the front edge of the hood and the metal piece that surrounds the grille from getting sandblasted and pelted by rocks? (Those are the only areas on my car that are starting to look not-so-healthy.) Invisible Bra? Now's the time to do that! Prevent stone chips before they occur.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GoFaster:
What do you plan to do to protect the front edge of the hood and the metal piece that surrounds the grille from getting sandblasted and pelted by rocks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I'm going to go with an InvinsiShield. It's not as expensive as StoneGard or another "invisible" bra since it's not custom cut to fit every single piece of the grill. But it'll still do the job. I may even order extra material and cut my own grill pieces.

The only flaw in my plan is that I have to wait 4-6 weeks before applying the material. Between now and then I will drive to Central Texas (1200-miles RT) and one way to CA (another 1300-miles). Hopefully, I'll have minimal problems with bugs/rocks. I'll see if it's okay to use my leather bra for these short term trips.

I'm pretty anxious to see the finished product!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

It's back! It looks good. I actually like the "new" color better than the old. It actually looks dark green from all angles. There are only a few spots that need attention. The manager told me to take the weekend to inspect the work, make a list of problems, and bring the car back Monday. I'm all over it. But the problems are very minor.

Now if I can just get through the 60-day curing period without getting new rock chips. I have to wait those 60-days before applying any sort of bra... clear or otherwise.

Wish me luck!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Stealth, post pics for the rest of us and double your normal following distance to avoid the dreaded sandblasting!