No start warps my mind!

Thepotz

TDI
06 Jetta Tdi Mk5 BRM
06 Jetta mk5 brm- wife drove it home running fine. No weird noises. Went to start it and it cranks over just fine. This is what I have done just to save everyone time. Replaced fuel filter. Checked that the in-tank pump was working fine. Strong stream of fuel on key. No codes. Engine light is off. Replaced tandem pump and sucked out all bubbles. Replaced both crank and cam sensors. Fully charged battery and stuck a cranking charger on it while cranking just to eliminate the chance of a dead cell in the battery. I finally shot wd40 on a rag and stuck it over the intake and it fired right up. I ran it for 10 mins to ensure there were no trapped air in fuel system. It revved just fine and idled just fine and I thought I was done. Just to make sure, I turned the car off and then immediately tried to start it and no dice. It hasn't started since. Car also turns over just fine. It is not labored or anything like that. I also checked under the air box for chaffed wires. They were fine and not even rubbed. The glow plug light also comes on just like normal. I do not have vag com nor know anyone with it. I am losing my mind! Ideas?

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
Did you check to make sure your timing is still right? Maybe your timing advanced or retarded and it doesn't let the engine start? There has to be someone near you in Montana with a Vagcom you can borrow. There are a couple of vendors on eBay that rent out the Vagcom. Even with that, you have to sort of know what you're looking for or you won't be able to tell. Just remove the timing belt cover to see if it is still there and if you can check your timing as well.... I would make sure and check for codes and also for the torsion value, that will tell you if your engine is timed right or not. Lastly, you can also try and fill the filter reservoir with a diesel cleaner, that's done a lot because the quality of diesel fuel can vary and can gunk up injectors. That will clear them right up!

Thepotz

TDI
06 Jetta Tdi Mk5 BRM
I checked for broken teeth and tension and everything looks fine. Plus when I ran it for 10 mins it ran like a top! Revved just fine too! I had done this earlier but forgot to include it in my original post

Last edited:

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
It's got be timing or a fuse block oil pressure valve or crank shaft position sensor .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
I had the same problem one time on an 06 it cranked and cranked cranked and then would start almost sounded like a Dodge diesel trying to start so that's what makes me think you have a crank shaft position sensor going bad or went bad But I'm not a mechanic just going by past experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works. Start there. See if the ECU sees cranking RPM. Throwing parts at it is going to get you nowhere fast. Or cheap.

For all you know, the key position sensor signal is not right in the Steering Column Module, and it loses the "run" signal when in the "crank" position. Seen that before.

oilhammer

TDI
So what should I do now?
The post right above that. I will say it again.

OBD (OnBoardDiagnostics) works. You need a scan tool. If you cannot, or WILL not, get one, then you will have to:

take your car to someone that does, and pay him or her for their knowledge to figure your problem out

continue to throw parts at it and see what happens

You came here asking for help. We can help, but we need you to help us help you, and OBD is the place to start. I would never, EVER, go after replacing ANY part on that car without spending a few minutes sleuthing about with my laptop.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
What he said...OBD scanner or Vagcom…

Quit throwing money at it..

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
The post right above that. I will say it again.

OBD (OnBoardDiagnostics) works. You need a scan tool. If you cannot, or WILL not, get one, then you will have to:

take your car to someone that does, and pay him or her for their knowledge to figure your problem out

continue to throw parts at it and see what happens

You came here asking for help. We can help, but we need you to help us help you, and OBD is the place to start. I would never, EVER, go after replacing ANY part on that car without spending a few minutes sleuthing about with my laptop.
Hi Folks

Thanks for your help on all fronts....awesome!
I have a similar problem with my 05 wagon (BEW engine). It was running fine when I parked it. Two days later it cranks fine but won't fire. For a while, the glo-plug light and engine light would stay on as long as the key was on and cycle in concert with the lift pump, but now they and the lift pump shut off after 5 seconds or so. The lift pump puts out a lot of fuel (as per the specs suggested in this forum). No by-pass through the tandem pump, but only about half as much fuel (220 ml/min) coming out of the tandem pump as suggested it should be when cranking. I did replace the fuel filter.

I bought a pressure gauge to test the tandem pump but it turns out that the gauge can't be used with diesel. Ordering a new one today that can...Does fuel pressure at the tandem pump show up with the scan tool??

The local garage guy came down to the house with his expensive diagnostic tool and could not read anything on his tool....he didn't charge me anything.

I guess I am going to have to get it towed up to the other garage (only two here) as he is pretty sure he can read it with his scan tool. I assume the scan tool will pick up all the cam sensor etc issues...?
Also, I could buy a (VAGCOM?) reader but am pretty confused about how that works. Does one just buy the cable and then get software for the computer? Some seem to sell a cable and handheld unit, others just the cable....?? What is the diff between an OBD scanner and a VAGCOM? Are they brand names? I have an OBDII that works on my wife's car (toyota) but won't read the VW.

I have a Mac and it appears that the scan tools don't talk to apple products (can't say I blame them sometimes!). My old toshiba computer has Windows XP on it, so that probably is too "old" to be of any use now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fleamer

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
That is highly unlikely, but hey, if they'll guarantee it will fix it then let them have at it.

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
I would get a second opinion from someone who has a Vagcom or a specialized scanner that can read VW specific codes. I believe O'Reillys has a Bosch scanner that can scan your car. If it is an ECU, they'll probably want loads of cash.... You can find a good used ECU for cheap and have the IMMO function disabled and test it that way but as is being said, you're just blindly throwing money at it. Check and see how much they will charge you at the dealership, for about $200 you can do it yourself.

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
05 wagon crank no start too

Hi Folks
Not sure if jumping in on someone else's original problem/question is acceptable (I did it earlier too) but instead of ten threads on same topic..
I still have a similar problem (05 wagon) and finally after checking all the fuel things I could think of I took it to the garage (not a VW one since the nearest is 175 km away) and after the scan they said they would 'start' by replacing the ECU.
If I could figure out how to add an attachment I would include the report I got.
Can a second hand ECU be checked while out of the car? What is involved in plugging it into my car and initializing it or making it recognize a different car? Do I need a VAGCOM for that? (if the ECU is actually the problem)....or is it just "plug and play"?
I had Malone Tuning disable the alarms after losing a bunch of keys one day so not sure if some of the codes below are related to that. It ran for several months after that with no problem.
I had one of the local garages (there are only two) bring down his mobile computer but it could not read anything - just like my OBDII.
The shop said they had a hard time getting the diagnostic tool to read anything but after trying a few diff ways got it to work, then came up with these codes below. I don't seem to have permission to add attachments, but here is the code list from the shop. Does this make sense?
J393 - Power supply voltage too low - intermittent
01330- Central ECU for comfort
01331 - ECU driver clear- J386 Power supply too low
01332 - ECU pass clear
01333 - ECU left rear door
01314 – engine control module -no signal-no communication (intermittent)
01334 – Door control module
01299 - Diagnostic interface for data bus (J533) no communication -
intermittent
00532 - Supply voltage B+ signal too low-intermittent
00625 – Vehicle speed missing messages
00849 – S-contact at ignition starter switch (D)
00929 – Locking moderate for central locking front side (F221) not a
plausible signal - intermittent
01064 - Terminal 58D interior dimming missing messages - intermittent
01176 – Key not allowed-key signal too low
01177 - Engine control unit
Thank you so much

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Hi Folks
I posted this on another thread too where this problem had come up.

After doing every test on the fuel system I could think of and the many great fuel related tests found on here, I finally had the car towed to a garage for a scan. $70 CDN (in BC) got me the list of codes from the ECU and the suggestion to replace it....like above for throwing parts at it.... Being suspicious of a response that said "first thing I would try is replace the ECU" I doddle a bit, but eventually could think of no other way to figure it out.
I talked to Malone Tuning in Vancouver and they said they could just copy the programming from my old one over to another unit and if it was the computer, the car would fire and drive away. Well, that is exactly what happened!!! Fired up like it never had a problem. Took a week to get the ECU back (Malone had it ready the day they got it). Cost me $300 incl tax and shipping.
Thanks Malone for your great friendly, advice and service!
And Thanks to everyone on this forum who posts with suggestions and a wealth of incredible advice and expertise.

Cheers
Fleamer

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Sounds like all your hard work paid off, took a step back, think about it and then take a stab at it. You should feel good about yourself, that you got it fixed for minimum cost, and hit it right on the head.

We can spend enough on these cars without throwing $$ at them...BTW welcome to the DYI club, job well done.