No start troubles

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
You also should leave 2 injectors fully connected at 2 lines loose while cranking. They will usually come to life like that. You can tighten the line nuts up with the engine running if you are careful, but do understand the risk of possible fuel injection into the skin, although I really don't see how one would manage that.

If that doesn't work, tighten the 2 injector lines you had loose, and then alternate to the other 2.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
I won’t have time until next Wednesday to mess with it unfortunately. But I’ll try that and see what happens

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
Trust me, pull the fittings before you try anything else. Then do the 2 injector lines connected, and 2 disconnected. You'll kill starter/ battery if you continue cranking. I've experienced it myself. Even with my service truck connected to my battery, last go around when I did my timing belt, I had also sent my injectors out to get the flow setting increased, so the injection pump had leaked quite a bit of fuel out. I tried and tried and tried pulling vacuum through that little fitting and it would never pull that large bubble out of the line, even though it did start pulling fuel. It wasn't until I removed the fitting and did what I explained, and put it back together, that it only took a minimal amount of cranking to start.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
That’s how I primed it a few weeks ago. But for the sake of sakes, did it again anyways. Still have good fuel flow from injectors. But no sputtering or anything. I re did all the vacuum lines, as I noticed they were routed wrong. I’m going to go through the timing yet again on Wednesday. If all checks out and I still can’t get it to start, the cars either going to a shop if I get the ok from the boss, or I’ll start stealing parts off it for my other golf

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Looked over everything and the cam and crank are in sync, but the pump isn’t. It’s got about half the hole showing. And there isn’t enough adjustment on the pump to get the hole lined up. I also checked and the tension is still set correctly. It’s obvious I’m doing something wrong. I have no idea what part I’m messing up though. Might be time to let someone else handle this for me

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My "5 minute re-prime trick" is to take the oil sucker you own (you do use one, right? Much nicer on the ALHs than getting under the car!), disconnect the RETURN from the IP to the fuel filter at the thermo-T and plug the "T" (short piece of hose with a bolt in it) then attach the sucker to the return hose and pull a decent vacuum on it.

Then have someone hit the starter until you see fuel. If it starts (it might!) don't let it run as the amount of fuel pulled through will be considerable.

Put the return back on the "T" and it should start.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
I do have an oil sucker. Got one when they had them on sale a while back. I’ll run out and give that a try

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Tried what you said and no go. It started pulling up fuel before I even started cranking. Though it wasn’t fast. Cranking with vacuum filled the tube with bubbles. Guessing that’s from it being thrown around? Also noticed as soon as I stopped cranking, it would suck fuel back up the tube a few inches. If that means I have a leak, I’m not sure where it is. There’s no wet spots underneath, and the ip is dry. Aside from the little that leaked out from pulling the return hose

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Looked over everything and the cam and crank are in sync, but the pump isn’t. It’s got about half the hole showing. And there isn’t enough adjustment on the pump to get the hole lined up. I also checked and the tension is still set correctly. It’s obvious I’m doing something wrong. I have no idea what part I’m messing up though. Might be time to let someone else handle this for me
Often after fine tuning the timing the hole will be off a little. You just need to Know crank is a TDC, cam aligned, hole aligned, from there you need an OBDII device that can measure measuring block 000 field 02. Be sure all the big air pipes are connected, no blockage in the air intake, no sticky ASV.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
I found tdc by using a zip tie in the glow plug hole. And used that to find that microscopic line on the flywheel. #1 lobes are up and cam holding plate fit in with no resistance. I’m thinking I must not of had the pump pin in all the way and it moved when I put the belt back on. But still. I’d think it would at least try to fire

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Too lay to read the other 70 posts, did this issue only come up after installing belt or retiming or was the car running good before?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Maybe. But there shouldn't be bubbles in that clear line (the suction side) when cranking. A SMALL one when you stop can happen but not while actually cranking. If you have bubbles then there's a decent amount of air getting in there and that's a problem.

First thing to check is that "T" and the 2 O-rings on it; that's the most-common place you get air into the system. I've seen the filter do it too (the hole where the "T" was slightly out-of-round which is a REAL ****** as it looks just fine, the "T" goes in just fine, and it leaks air like a SOB!)

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
I have no idea how the no start happened. I bought the car not running. Timing belt was changed by a shop 20k miles ago

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
T and o rings are new. As well as the filter. Even double checked the water separator on the filter the other day. It was tight. Don’t really wanna start pulling lines and having to re prime, but if that’s what needs done.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have no idea how the no start happened. I bought the car not running. Timing belt was changed by a shop 20k miles ago
Well that brings up a boatload of possibles. Verify compression. Get underneath, remove cover and inspect for damage. Re-time, if you're out of length on the pulley slots you'll need to de-tension and re-install the pulley. We've even seen silly stuff like rags left in air passages. I imagine you've got the air out of the fuel system, fuel is diesel + Air.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure none of the small injector return lines are leaking. Secondly, if there is still a big ass bubble in the clear line, it is not primed.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
There is 1 bubble smaller than a bb in the clear line leading into the pump. I will change out the small lines in the morning

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
Whether it's a mechanical issue or not is impossible for me to say, but SOMETHING seems to be keeping the injection pump from properly fueling. Relay 109, who knows? If you're 100% sure the bubble is that small, thats normal really, and doubt that is your issue. You re bled the injectors 2 at a time?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
109 relay is good. Even pulled good ones from my other cars. I bled 3&4, then 1&2.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Got some clear diesel rated fuel line from a John deer dealer near me. Used that for between the injectors. Cracking open the injectors and cranking does nothing to get rid of the air in those lines. Vacuum on the pump return line gets bubbles, but the return lines don’t pull fuel through them

johnsonej

TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI GLS manual ALH
Looked through the no start 101 section. Cars a 99 golf. Just got it yesterday. Has a no start. Long story short, guy I bought it from bought it non running. Don’t know what happened to initiate the no start. Have receipt from time belt done about 13k miles ago. So it obviously ran after tb change. Guy I got it from said he tried bleeding the injectors to no avail.
I get good flow through filter. Good flow through the return fitting on the side of injection pump. Mostly just air from the return tube on the pump. Fuel does come through the tube, just mostly air. That had me kinda wondering. Cracked injector nuts 3 and 4. Get a good 6-10” high fuel spray. Tightened nuts and still no start. Re bled the pump best I could and cracked all injector nuts. Decent fuel spray. Still no start. Timing belt is tight. All fuses seem good. Tested with meter.
Only odd thing I noticed is the blower doesn’t work. Lights windows locks radio all work. It is an aftermarket radio if that matters. All fuses under hood test good.
Any thoughts
Check EGR valve valve make sure lever is flush , if it’s sticking partiality open , it will just crank over . If it flush should start

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
How flush is flush? Cuz i applied vacuum and it opened fully. Yanked off the hose and it slammed back down to where it was. Looks like it has a taper fit

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
What do you mean by measuring block 000 field 2. If you mean under engine measuring blocks field 2 has engine speed, accel pedal position, operating condition, coolant temp

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If it slammed back (the ASV) then it's open -- that is actuated on shutdown for a couple of seconds, then it snaps back. Occasionally they stick due to gunk in there and if they do then there's no air at all which of course means no start. You've eliminated that.

Do you have a test light? If so put it on the big solenoid terminal on the IP (right in the middle of where the lines come out to go the injectors; it should light up for a couple of seconds when the key is turned to "ON" and then shut back off, and turn ON when you crank. You should also hear the IP click.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Do you mean the one above the lines with the wire on top of it? If so, it does have power for a few seconds and does click

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yep -- that's it. It's got one wire on it; that's the shut-off and should click when you turn the key on, then drop out, and then pull back in when you crank. If it's clicking It's nearly 100% certain it's working.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
I did test it throughout. Has voltage with initial key on. Then fades to no power. Then has full voltage again when cranking