No Start, need help before doing the tow of shame.

edthacker

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI Chainless, Colt Cam, 5 spd european tranny, rear air bags
Need some assistance repairing my 05 BHW with 330,000 miles.
It cranks(tach is stable at 200 RPM), cluster lights come on including glow plug.
In the past when a no start,a quick fuel filter replacement has cured problem.
Had a no start about 40 K ago, them 20K ago, then 5 K ago now this time filter does not fix. I can hear lift pump energize & there is fuel pressure going in & out of filter.
I did check all fuses and replaced the 209 relay. Do have 12 V at #28 fuse as well. Checked cranking voltage which was 10.6 volts then tried with booster cables attached to running car -voltage then at 13.8V. Battery is 5 years old
Took a peak at the cam belt & everything looks OK.
BSM installed by MoGolf 200,000 mles ago.
Colt cam shaft installed by Whitbread 125,000 ago 5 sp via Franz installed by Whitbread as well.
I'm without Vag com but do have a pocket scanner which shows no codes.
I did recently have a wire break at fuel temp sensor so I'm thinking maybe another wire has broken somewhere which at this mileage would not surprise me. Or I should throw a new battery in it?
Open for any ideas.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
If the battery will turn it over at 200 rpm, you don't need a new one. One thing you didn't mention is the anti-shudder valve. I have heard that they can stick closed. Something to check anyway. If not that, then you need to look at your tandem pump and/or injectors.

edthacker

TDI
It had a code for Fuel relay high resistance., they are thinking its the lift pump, Started for them after lots of cranking and does not now show the code, trying to replicate the problem, They did hear gurgling from tank area so maybe check valve gone at pump. stay tuned...will post ultimate outcome.

My bet is tired lift pump, who knows how many thousands of gallons of fuel that thing has moved.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
That code is for an open fuel pump relay coil, not for a defective lift pump. The relay is much, much cheaper.
How much is the relay? $20-$30? I would have them throw one in and drive it home.

Don't let them throw in a pump until they can show that when the pump is directly energized, it does not pump, or pumps weakly. Please don't just tell them to "fix it and call me when it's done". That will be an expensive repair.

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
With that kind of mileage, it would not be the end of the world, if you go ahead replace the lift pump as well as the relay. I have 260,000 miles on mine and I was thinking about start carrying a spare pump on board. It really sucks when you have to call to be towed.

edthacker

TDI
I did switch out the #373 Fuel pump relay with the Cooling fan relay #373 with no effect before sending off to garage.

edthacker

TDI
Well it was the lift pump, it was an indeterminate failure. They got it to duplicate.
$340 for the pump & 2.5 hours labor + $97 diagnostic charge, Could have been worse.
Car seems to be running stronger.
All in all I'm happy because I was really thinking Tandom pump not the lift, but kept thinking what Oilhammer has said in past the he does not see Tandom pump failures in this engine.

edthacker

TDI
I really appreciate this forum, have learned alot over the years.
Thanks to all for their input!