No start after new injector nozzels!

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Well, that's probably best for me, but sharing info is better for everyone.

So I'm noticing smoke when I punch it on the interstate while passing, which is new for any Jetta I've owned. Still getting a minute or so or blue to gray smoke on start in the 40s F. It seems to run pretty well but after an hour drive on the interstate, it's missing some at idle before shut down. I'm pretty well sold on an timing issue and a need of injector calibration.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Well, yes, it is recommended. The vendor posting in here reminds me a little of chicken little....I have seen and done dozens of installs with no problems. And know of dozens more done by others with absolutely no issues.

When people first started installing bigger nozzles, no one was talking about, or had the ability to calibrate them... Some guys built their own pop testers, and that was a good confidence check, but did not calibrate them.

If I was going to install a new set in my car now, I might get them calibrated. But,it's probably a very slight risk of damaging the engine. People install nozzles, get chipped, and then don't install a boost gage!! That to me, is a more serious lapse of judgement.

People are making money calibrating these things, I, by no means begrudge them that. But to say it's an absolute must, well....there is tons anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.....

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
We've got a lot of people on this forum who smoke crack cocaine before posting about injectors and balancing. I can't understand why so much effort is put on glorifying and or demonizing some vendor when all that is needed is a common sense explanation of how fuel injection works and how to read injection data in VCDS.

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So I just had all the fuel timing set by professionals. It turns out the lack of fuel pump timing done by the dealership that did my timing belt AND my new nozzles was enough to cause the problems. Thanks to German Performance Options in Nashville, it's running smooth with no excessive smoke. Next week the 2,500 miles of road should give final judgement--towing a small trailer as well.

Thanks to all who has contributed.