No Reverse lights!

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I took the 2002 Jetta in for the annual NYS inspection, and it flunked, due to the backup lights being inop.
I feverishly looked through the fuse panel, but could not find a bad fuse. I am now driving around without an inspection sticker.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Look at the switch, up on the top of the transmission/shifter. I bet (like mine) the wires broke at the connector there. (Assumes manual tranny)

They also broke right at the connector leaving no extra wire for a repair.

ETA: if that checks out, check the bulb holders in the tail lights, those can get pretty grungy/corroded too.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, real real common for vibration to bust one or both wires into the reverse light switch near the shift linkage (again, if manual transmission).

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't see any wires on top of the transmission, near the linkage. . Did you mean near the shifter, inside the car?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Should be on the shift tower, down below the golf club thingy.

IIRC the battery tray may be in the road too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just had to replace the switch on my B4 to pass inspection. Wires had been previously repaired.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, go to a junkyard looking for reverse light connectors (or armrests or glove boxes) and they'll all be broken... and maybe repaired. :)

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
The wires were broken off, @ the sensor connector. I tested the switch with a Multimeter, and it was fine. I took a 21mm open ended wrench, and 'adjusted' it to the proper size, with a Bench Grinder to remove the switch. It was late Friday afternoon, at this point, so I cut the housing of the connector off, and soldered new wires, to the innards. I hooked the remains of the connector back to the switch, and it is working fine. I secured the connections together, with a big blob of GE Silicone.
I'll pick up a new connector, and harness, at some future date. Thanks to everyone, for your feedback! :)

Last edited: