No power with front clip removed ?

Daddydoogz

TDI
Mk4
I have a mk4 golf tdi parts car . The car was running and I haven't don't much to it other then remove the front clip (rad support, headlights, bumper all of it )

The motor and everything is plugged in except the three connectors under the battery tray going to the front rad support for the headlights and whatever else . (I did have the motor completely unbuttoned at one point but I have plugged everything back in now except all the vacuumed lines because i didn't plan on having the car running for long)

When I put a battery back on the terminals to try to turn the engine over there is absolutely zero power . Not even the odometer turns on . (Yes the battery is good and fully charged)

My question is - does one of those connectors carry main power back to the ecu ? Or will having the front clip missing and those 3 big plugs under the battery tray area unplugged going to cause a zero power issue ? ... I would like to crank over the motor to verify good compression....

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Did you reattach the engine block ground to the front top trans mount bolt?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
what about the grounding points on the harness?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
looks like you're probably going to need to plug those back in!
i remember seeing a thread about what wires you need to give power to in order to run an ALH... can't seem to find the thread but i'm also very lazy ......

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Give us a clue. Which engine do you have?

Daddydoogz

TDI
Mk4
looks like you're probably going to need to plug those back in!
i remember seeing a thread about what wires you need to give power to in order to run an ALH... can't seem to find the thread but i'm also very lazy ......
I'm actually going to look for this thread.. thats a good idea

Daddydoogz

TDI
Mk4
I found the issue everyone . The positive wire off the battery terminal was loose .. assuming it was taken off when buddy took out his sub when I bought the car . This forum is great tho props to @MATPOC for giving me the idea to look there

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL, about as bad as trying to diagnose a no start when there is no fuel in the tank LOLLOLOL
glad you figured it out... So does it have good compression?

Daddydoogz

TDI
Mk4
Sounds like it does. I was trying to get it to fire and run before I pulled the glow plugs. I have fuel to the injection pump and comming out at the injectors but it doesn't sound like fuel is getting to the motor (cranks for days and doesn't stumble or choke or put out any smoke or anything) but the car is litterally half taken apart with no front clip so it could be anything . I'm thinking it's not getting a few sensor readouts and not putting out any amount of fuel pressure to properly work the injectors as a result .

Also as a side note , I'm purging the fuel at the top end of the injection pump from the return inlet (just in the threaded hole as the return line is taken off) but I'm getting a lot of air and not very much fuel. Enough to still fill the lines before the pump just not getting a lot out of the top though and the fittings after the filter suck diesel like a dream, no blockage.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you check static timing? You really need to do that!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
... I'm thinking it's not getting a few sensor readouts ...
For BEW/BRM, you need the crank and cam position sensors working, or it won't inject fuel. Actually, it will run with one of them dead, I think cam sensor, but throw a code.