No power from 2500 rpm/ no access to ECU

Barb2021

TDI
Ibiza 1.9 AGR
Hi all,

I Have recently bought an Ibiza TDI 1.9 with the AGR engine.
Some days ago I noticed a lack of power after 2500 rpm ( even in neutral ).
When my mechanic tried to access obd port , only the HVAC and ABS modules can be read. No access to engine module or instrument cluster.. I also noticed that I don't have the engine light on. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? The engine has 155 k km.

Cheers!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Quite possibly the maf sensor, unplug it and see if there's any difference, should be better or worse but not the same. I had the cordoba on a 2000 plate with that engine, basically the estate version and you should be able to read the ecu with vagcom/vcds. But the maf doesn't always throw a fault code and I'm not sure you'd get a light on the dash if it did either with that one because of the age.

Also worth checking the ecu isn't soaked, mine was due to the location, water had gotten in and residue had built up on some of the pins for the ecu plug, it caused my throttle pedal to not respond but a good clean up and a dry sorted it.

Barb2021

TDI
Ibiza 1.9 AGR
Quite possibly the maf sensor, unplug it and see if there's any difference, should be better or worse but not the same. I had the cordoba on a 2000 plate with that engine, basically the estate version and you should be able to read the ecu with vagcom/vcds. But the maf doesn't always throw a fault code and I'm not sure you'd get a light on the dash if it did either with that one because of the age.

Also worth checking the ecu isn't soaked, mine was due to the location, water had gotten in and residue had built up on some of the pins for the ecu plug, it caused my throttle pedal to not respond but a good clean up and a dry sorted it.

Thank you for the reply.
I have tested the maf on and off and there is a much better response from engine. Can I test the maf voltage or something?

Regarding the ECU I have a Bosch and I removed it and clean it. Still no communication with vag com.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you for the reply.
I have tested the maf on and off and there is a much better response from engine. Can I test the maf voltage or something?

Regarding the ECU I have a Bosch and I removed it and clean it. Still no communication with vag com.

Not sure on the voltage but regarding the lack of communication, I'm really not sure if it's the same on the seat but on a mk4 golf i had, the k line went to the clocks first. I couldn't connect to the clocks or ecu either.
I pulled the clocks and found the k line connection, opened the plug and closed the pin connector a bit with a small knife and that fixed the problem.
Might be similar on the ibiza.

You can also Google the port wiring to see what you should get at each pin. Make sure it's working too.

But the k line is the wire that connects everything and what vagcom uses to connect to all the modules.

Barb2021

TDI
Ibiza 1.9 AGR
Thanks again M8. I'll try to follow the 7 pin on the obd to see what I can find.
By the clocks you mean the instrument cluster?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These are the type of plugs in the mk4 golf for the cluster, you slide the pink bit off the end then the cover slides off altogether and you can get at the individual plugs. There was a small bit that sits at an angle to grab the pin from the cluster, I just gave it a little nudge with a small knife to get it to make a tighter contact.

I'm sure k line is either a grey/white or black/white wire but it comes from the obd socket and goes everywhere including to the cluster and ecu. It was that one connection on mine that was playing up and it's that wire that the computer uses to read all the modules.

Barb2021

TDI
Ibiza 1.9 AGR
Hi again. I've solved this issue.
I made a jumper cable between ECU and obd and I could get a reading. After investigation the turbo was not boosting. The wastegate was out of position...

Another issue that I have is with the ignition. I have to put some pressure on the key to start the car. Can it be the lock itself or the internal switch? Can you guys advice on that?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Could try something like WD40 down the barrel, see if that helps.

With a quick google it looks like yours might be the lock and switch in one unit rather than separate, that was looking up a 99-2000 ibiza