No power and alot of smoke

Allaces653

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
Guys.
My 2002 jetta tdi will start fine . When I give it throttle it bogs down sooooo much it will not drive . Tons of white oil smoke coming out of exhaust. I know my vacuum check valves is bad , but I don't think this is the problem .. any ideas?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
“ White oil smoke.” Do you mean white smoke that leaves an oil droplet /reside on the back of the car and maybe drips some oil out the tailpipe onto the ground? If that’s the case your turbo is the most likely culprit.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Vacuum check valve issues can effect overall vacuum system operation, and since the turbo is controlled using a vacuum-powered actuator... :)

That said, best bet to start would be a full scan with a VW-specific scanner and a timing check... lots of possibilities and the sooner you can narrow it down the better... and cheaper.

Allaces653

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
“ White oil smoke.” Do you mean white smoke that leaves an oil droplet /reside on the back of the car and maybe drips some oil out the tailpipe onto the ground? If that’s the case your turbo is the most likely culprit.
This just happened this morning and got towed home . Tried messing with and got frustrated so I gave up for today. I will run it for a while to see if it drips . Doesnt smoke at idle.

Allaces653

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
Vacuum check valve issues can effect overall vacuum system operation, and since the turbo is controlled using a vacuum-powered actuator... :)

That said, best bet to start would be a full scan with a VW-specific scanner and a timing check... lots of possibilities and the sooner you can narrow it down the better... and cheaper.
Thank you . I will have to find someone with a scanner.. also the car has been sitting for 3 months . I wonder if oil could have leaked in or around the turbo. I drove about 8 miles before it acted up .
Thank you!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I'd be checking the intercooler for oil buildup and the dipstick for general oil level before trying to start it again - if the smoke you saw IS oil-based, I'd be worried about a runaway occurring...

efeballi

TDI
2004 Seat Altea 2.0 TDI (BKD)
Hi,
This happened to me yesterday after changing the air filter housing. In your case the vacuum line may be clogged, in other words the pump receives (almost) no fresh air from the vacuum port.
I fixed the problem (vacuum port was blocked, I drilled it open), but I found no stored fault codes other than a fuel temperature sensor fault, which was most likely a symptom rather than a cause. If you can log vacuum pressure with VCDS (I honestly don't know), that would help.
The white smoke in my case smelled strongly of diesel, I would look for a more burning smell and a bluish white smoke if there's oil being leaked/burned. The white smoke turned to black after I fixed the problem as the unburnt fuel left in the exhaust tract was burned with increasing temperatures during accelerations.
I would start with diagnosing whether the smoke is oil or unburnt fuel. I'm leaning towards fuel, as I can't think of a reason why oil leaking through turbo seals could dramatically reduce power. Something intake related would explain both the loss of power and overfueling.

Allaces653

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
Thank you

Allaces653

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
Hi,
This happened to me yesterday after changing the air filter housing. In your case the vacuum line may be clogged, in other words the pump receives (almost) no fresh air from the vacuum port.
I fixed the problem (vacuum port was blocked, I drilled it open), but I found no stored fault codes other than a fuel temperature sensor fault, which was most likely a symptom rather than a cause. If you can log vacuum pressure with VCDS (I honestly don't know), that would help.
The white smoke in my case smelled strongly of diesel, I would look for a more burning smell and a bluish white smoke if there's oil being leaked/burned. The white smoke turned to black after I fixed the problem as the unburnt fuel left in the exhaust tract was burned with increasing temperatures during accelerations.
I would start with diagnosing whether the smoke is oil or unburnt fuel. I'm leaning towards fuel, as I can't think of a reason why oil leaking through turbo seals could dramatically reduce power. Something intake related would explain both the loss of power and overfueling.
Thank you . I will check the vacuum line . I do know that when I replaced the check valve there was very little vacuum.

Allaces653

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
Hi,
Which line was clogged. When I take off the vac line from the vac pump . The car runs and doesn't smoke too much. I did clean my egr valve. I found a vacuum leak on the line that goes to the brake booster . I sealed it temporarily until a new one comes in. So when I hook the vac line back up . The car barely starts and smokes like crazy.

efeballi

TDI
2004 Seat Altea 2.0 TDI (BKD)
Which line was clogged. When I take off the vac line from the vac pump . The car runs and doesn't smoke too much. I did clean my egr valve. I found a vacuum leak on the line that goes to the brake booster . I sealed it temporarily until a new one comes in. So when I hook the vac line back up . The car barely starts and smokes like crazy.
In my case, the nipple on the airbox was not drilled, so the very beginning of the vacuum line from the air filter to the vacuum pump was blocked.