No more USB Hex-cam? (or is this just news to me?) Also VCDS-lite question.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Was looking to get a hex-usb+can cable as used ones are about the same price and I couldn't find it on the Ross Tech website. It's obsolete and no longer available. Cheapest is now the Hex-Net for $449. :(

For now I'll rent one from fixmyvw. (I have an overboost/limp problem on the freeway I need to diagnose).

Anyone know if VCDS-lite will enable me to do a timing belt replacement when the time comes? (free or registered version?)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Was looking to get a hex-usb+can cable as used ones are about the same price and I couldn't find it on the Ross Tech website. It's obsolete and no longer available. Cheapest is now the Hex-Net for $449. :(
Wow, that's news to me too. I know that there was an issue with the cables and certain modules in 2017+ cars, but I had no idea they would completely discontinue the cables. This could be good for the price of used cables in the future.

Anyone know if VCDS-lite will enable me to do a timing belt replacement when the time comes? (free or registered version?)
The registered version of VCDS-Lite will do the graphical TDI timing checking. See here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

Have Fun!

Don

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
So all new cables are now VIN locked??? That's dumb as hell.

Great job ross-tech, I will now no longer buy your products. I don't want a VIN locked cable that I just spent $500 on.

Edit: how are these VIN locked cables supposed to work on older cars that don't have a VIN listed in the control modules?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Ok so it seems that is actually cheaper to do one car as they are now charging $200 for 3 vins but it still vin locked which I do not like. It makes sense for someone who just need it for one car but if you wrench as a hobby and work on mutiple cars then you just got screwed if you do not have an older cable.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, things keep changing at Ross-Tech. For a while (last week), there were no interface cables listed on RT's site (only HEX-NET wireless interfaces). Today there are (once again) USB interface cables, but they are now V2 and they are only "enthusiast" versions and they are VIN limited. I suspect that this might make my old USB-HEX+CAN (unlimited) cable more valuable if/when I decide to sell it. Now I am curious about what R-T might do next week.

Have Fun!

Don

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Ok so it seems that is actually cheaper to do one car as they are now charging $200 for 3 vins but it still vin locked which I do not like. It makes sense for someone who just need it for one car but if you wrench as a hobby and work on mutiple cars then you just got screwed if you do not have an older cable.
Looks like they're updating their website quite often. That lower priced option wasn't there a few days ago when I posted.

I guess I'll send them an email and ask what they're doing. Their website should get updated all at once.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just my opinion, but I personally think that's a helluva deal for 80-90% of VW/Audi owners out there. :) :)
I agree. However, I could also see a market for an unlimited version of the V2 interface cable for some enthusiasts. It could be priced somewhere between the 10 VIN model and the HEX-NET Pro. I just know that I am not a professional mechanic, but my HEX+CAN cable has definitely been plugged into more that 10 different VW/Audi vehicles in the last 8 years (only one of which was mine).

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. A note about VIN limits: VWs prior to the MKV did not report their VINs. Therefore any "VIN limited" interface can connect to an unlimited number of MKIII and MKIV vehicles.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
I agree. However, I could also see a market for an unlimited version of the V2 interface cable for some enthusiasts. It could be priced somewhere between the 10 VIN model and the HEX-NET Pro. I just know that I am not a professional mechanic, but my HEX+CAN cable has definitely been plugged into more that 10 different VW/Audi vehicles in the last 8 years (only one of which was mine).
VIN-limited interfaces can be upgraded in the field if/when needed. The idea here is that people pay in a manner commensurate to the way in which they use the product.

Oh, and just plugging it into a car, doing a scan, reading measuring values, and even clearing fault codes does not require that car's VIN to be registered in the cable. The requirement to register a VIN comes when you start doing invasive stuff like coding changes, basic settings, adaptations, and so on. We specifically do not want to prevent enthusiasts from doing basic diagnostics on their friends' cars.

In no case will a VIN ever be "registered" without your explicit permission. The software always asks.

P.S. A note about VIN limits: VWs prior to the MKV did not report their VINs. Therefore any "VIN limited" interface can connect to an unlimited number of MKIII and MKIV vehicles.
That's not quite correct. All Immo-3 cars report their VINs, so figure model year 2002 as a rule of thumb. And yes, cars older than that are never counted toward a VIN limit.

-Uwe-

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Thank you UWE ,
Common guys ,
Ross-Tech made new choices for every owner of VAG car to the Profesionals and now you complaining.
There is no interface in market for $200 that can do diagnostic part read/Clear codes , look live data in all modules , and Ross_tech have this.

Also need to mention that old cable can not pull up with Software anymore( no more available space) and that was the main reason why was pull out of the web site( UWE place correct me if I am wrong)
Kind of same thing if you have old LapTop , you can not run new Wind 10 in it.

Last edited:

Uwe

Also need to mention that old cable can not pull up with Software anymore( no more available space) and that was the main reason why was pull out of the web site( UWE place correct me if I am wrong)
Correct. There was no room left for further functional enhancements in the old HEX+CAN interfaces, hence we could not make them compatible with some of the stuff going on in certain control modules in some model year 2016 (rest of world) and 2017 (North America) vehicles. Bear in mind that HEX+CAN interfaces were introduced to the market in 2004. What other "tech product" has been around that long and is still fully supported by the manufacturer?

Anyway, it was well past time to move on to a new generation of product for new customers, and the the HEX-V2 makes things easier for everyone. People no longer have to puzzle out what they need to buy to be compatible with whatever VW-Audi Group car(s) they own. All they need to ask themselves is, "How many cars do I plan to do serious work on?" If the answer is 3 or fewer, $199 is a price we haven't offered a complete system since 2004. If the answer is 3-10, you probably would have bought a HEX+CAN to begin with, and the 10-VIN HEX-V2 is still $50 less expensive than that.

-Uwe-

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's not quite correct. All Immo-3 cars report their VINs, so figure model year 2002 as a rule of thumb. And yes, cars older than that are never counted toward a VIN limit.

-Uwe-
Uwe, thanks for your added information. You have cleared up many of the questions about your new product line.
Also, thanks for your continued support of our cars and this site.

Have Fun!

Don

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
My complaint is if you're going to change the mix, update your website all at once.
I was looking for a cable and was going to buy new but when looked on your website, the USB Hex-can version was gone and the cheapest was now $449. Days later the $199 version came up but I already placed an order for a rental Hex-can. Could have used that $$ towards the $199 unit.

So about this statement "old cable can not pull up with Software anymore", what does this mean for those who buy a used Hex-can? Or myself that has a rental cable coming? Am I able to download VCDS and use it?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So about this statement "old cable can not pull up with Software anymore", what does this mean for those who buy a used Hex-can? Or myself that has a rental cable coming? Am I able to download VCDS and use it?
Simple answer is yes. The "old" cables will still work perfectly for all of the cars they were designed for. Also the Software (VCDS) is still available and it still supports all versions of interfaces. Your "rental cable" will still work perfectly with all 1995 to 2016 model year cars and probably most 2017 models.

The problem only comes with some 2016 (European) cars and some higher end 2017 VW cars in North America. VW has started using a different communications protocol with some control modules. The older VCDS cable interfaces do not have enough flexibility (memory) to be modified to handle this new protocol as well as the older ones. Currently (in North America) this issue only applies to the new (2017) Audi Q7 and A4 models, but it will probably extend to other VW/Audi models in future years.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

My complaint is if you're going to change the mix, update your website all at once.
Your complaint has been noted and logged. ;)

I didn't make that statement, but I think I already tried to clarify what Jetta ,97 was trying to say in post #12 in this thread.

Yes, you can download and use the software from our site with any interface we've made/sold since 2004.

-Uwe-

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta big build ALH, NMS B7 15' Passat EA288
Will the V2 system ever have unlimited vin capabilities? Or will old Vin's be able to be erased? Seems like your missing a pricepoint between the Hex-Net with the whole Wi-Fi craze and the V2 that'll still use the cable. Can't an unlimited vin V2 be slid in there somewhere? Also what exactly will require me to register a VIN? This might be one of the main factors on deciding on a unit. Im up in the air about a used Hex-Usb+Can or one of these newer systems but sure don't want to be vin limited at the same time. Also if we end up getting a 2017 alltrack im not sure the Hex-Usb+Can would work.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
VIN upgrades are $169: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN/
So the 10-VIN HEX-V2 is a $69 savings over a 3-VIN model. And an unlimited-VIN HEX-V2 will run you $468. Ouch.
That said, I've already sold my HEX+CAN-USB unlimited, and I'm buying the 3-VIN HEX-V2.
I think the market for used $300 HEX+CANs is about to tank.
If I am reading this correctly they are saying an unlimited Vin model will be the $300 + $169~ 469.....

I don't recall what I paid for VAG-COM pre-CAN cable, but if memory serves it was pretty close to same current price for an unlimited cable in the late 90s-early 00s....

Not really a bad deal for one of these considering how many times over the years I have used it and let friends borrow it for T-belt replacements...

It just means with VIN limits being offered for a cheaper price people will not be lending these new cables out like we did with unlimited models...

I think Most will buy 3 VIN model saving a couple of hundred with the option to up the limit for a price if needed....

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, I was on their website and the upgrade seemed to only be for the hex-net not the v2. Must have done more website updating.. I think your right on the old cable pricing, especially since they can't do the 2016 and up vehicles. My question is that they say the hex-usb+can is limited on room for updates. I'm sure the update files are getting larger so will the updates stop for the older cables? Are they going to run just fine on old versions for years to come?

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
$469 for an unlimited is still $120 more than the old model. I hate backing myself into a corner with a limiting number of vin's. You just never know. I'd be better if the pricing was closer to the older hex-usb+can at $349

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah that's why in my first post I asked exactly what will require a VIN to be registered. I'd like to see the list of things that you can not do unless you register a VIN.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think your right on the old cable pricing, especially since they can't do the 2016 and up vehicles. My question is that they say the hex-usb+can is limited on room for updates. I'm sure the update files are getting larger so will the updates stop for the older cables? Are they going to run just fine on old versions for years to come?
Yes. The older "smart" interface cables (like the HEX+CAN) will continue to work (as always) with VCDS for the foreseeable future. It is not true that the cables "can't do the 2016 and up vehicles". The only problem is that they cannot do the newest communications protocol. However, this "newest" protocol is still very rare. The older HEX+CAN cables WILL work perfectly on 2016 cars and on almost all 2017 cars. Uwe says that only a few "heavily optioned" VWs might use this new protocol in the future. The unlimited USB-HEX+CAN interface cables should work perfectly on all 2017 VWs and probably will also work perfectly for many years to come. So far, the new communications protocol is only used on a few control modules in "top-of-the-line" 2017 Audi vehicles.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah that's why in my first post I asked exactly what will require a VIN to be registered. I'd like to see the list of things that you can not do unless you register a VIN.
Uwe pretty much answered this question above in post #10, quoted below

Oh, and just plugging it into a car, doing a scan, reading measuring values, and even clearing fault codes does not require that car's VIN to be registered in the cable. The requirement to register a VIN comes when you start doing invasive stuff like coding changes, basic settings, adaptations, and so on. We specifically do not want to prevent enthusiasts from doing basic diagnostics on their friends' cars.

In no case will a VIN ever be "registered" without your explicit permission. The software always asks.
-Uwe-
Have Fun!

Don

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Understand that, thanks. I'm looking for an official list of items that you can't do without a VIN registration. Some of us aren't familiar with the vagcom systems and a list of items that will require vin's will be a quick reference for someone to tell them if they need a 3,10 or unlimited VIN registration.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Understand that, thanks. I'm looking for an official list of items that you can't do without a VIN registration. Some of us aren't familiar with the vagcom systems and a list of items that will require vin's will be a quick reference for someone to tell them if they need a 3,10 or unlimited VIN registration.
I suspect that such a list will be made available at some time in the future. There is probably someone at R-T currently working on it. You are not the only person asking questions like this.

Have Fun!

Don

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Two questions:

Will checking/setting timing on a Immo-III equipped MK4 require registering a VIN? (requires basic settings) If so, I would find it hard to swallow - I can't count the number of MK4's I've checked or set timing on for local members.

Is there a price for an unlimited-VIN Hex-V2?

I am a bit more than an enthusiast, but do not see the need for the wireless functionality of the Hex-Net Pro.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

my guess is that the basic functions on the left are unlimited, and advanced functions on the right, subject to the VIN count.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Do you know how to read , I make it RED for you :

The requirement to register a VIN comes when you start doing invasive stuff like coding changes, basic settings, adaptations.

Regular diagnostic stuff , like read/clear codes, Measuring block value will be available on all cars.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Two questions:

Will checking/setting timing on a Immo-III equipped MK4 require registering a VIN? (requires basic settings) If so, I would find it hard to swallow - I can't count the number of MK4's I've checked or set timing on for local members.

Is there a price for an unlimited-VIN Hex-V2?

I am a bit more than an enthusiast, but do not see the need for the wireless functionality of the Hex-Net Pro.
For older vehicles ,old cable will work fine. So not need to worry about it.