No more Diesel for US from VW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
One can only hope that VWAG's long term reaction to this debacle does not resemble that of General Motors after their 350cu diesel disaster from decades ago. VW's engineering is sound in comparison to when GM slapped diesel heads on a gasser and declared, "Voila! It's a diesel!". It wasn't.

Not to worry. I'm more positive that VWAG is not done with the NA diesel market, long term. Most VW TDIs on the road now will be around NA for years to come...if/when the "fix" is approved. That may occur very soon for select model years if web rumors are to be believed. (Reuters). VW will have MANY boatloads of used TDIs for sale that have been tweaked to EPA/CARB satisfaction, perhaps at bargain-basement pricing to expedite turnover. And, what of all the new 2016 models sleeping on lots which were prohibited from being titled? If all they need is a software update and a top-off of the urea tank they will find new owners.

If there are still $$$ to be made in the desolate NA diesel car market, I believe VW will fill the void. It's regrettable, that VW has not reclaimed the small diesel pick-up market in recent years. Every once in awhile, I still see an old Rabbit Diesel pick-up going slowly down the road.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
If one was going to write a letter to VW voice a message that they should continue VW diesels at least in some form, does anyone know where it could go so the right person reads it? Not that it will do any good but can't hurt. Definitely sucks!
I don't know a specific name and address but if you google VW America or VW USA I think you'll get some hits.

It's not a bad idea to send a letter of support.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
One can only hope that VWAG's long term reaction to this debacle does not resemble that of General Motors after their 350cu diesel disaster from decades ago. VW's engineering is sound in comparison to when GM slapped diesel heads on a gasser and declared, "Voila! It's a diesel!". It wasn't.

Not to worry. I'm more positive that VWAG is not done with the NA diesel market, long term. Most VW TDIs on the road now will be around NA for years to come...if/when the "fix" is approved. That may occur very soon for select model years if web rumors are to be believed. (Reuters). VW will have MANY boatloads of used TDIs for sale that have been tweaked to EPA/CARB satisfaction, perhaps at bargain-basement pricing to expedite turnover. And, what of all the new 2016 models sleeping on lots which were prohibited from being titled? If all they need is a software update and a top-off of the urea tank they will find new owners.

If there are still $$$ to be made in the desolate NA diesel car market, I believe VW will fill the void. It's regrettable, that VW has not reclaimed the small diesel pick-up market in recent years. Every once in awhile, I still see an old Rabbit Diesel pick-up going slowly down the road.
Perhaps the forthcoming change in the US government and government policy will allow VWAG to take another look at the US automotive market.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I will be keeping my restored 2003 Beetle and my new 2004 Excursion Limited 6.0 diesel with 340k one owner miles always dealer serviced with all receipts to prove it. EGR deleted. That replaces my 2013 Passat. Just got 21 mpg in the Excursion on my trip to Galveston and back for a cruise. A real pleasure for traveling or people moving.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1460242-back-with-new-ex.html

Much cheaper to keep two older well maintained cars that are paid for and insurance is far less than I would pay for something new. I am adding to the Excursion a new light setup one of the members at FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) makes up. They are amazing! Which also includes a set of Mishimoto fog lamps.

Then a new Android headunit for more modern communications/entertainment/nav with backup camera and dashcam.

https://www.carjoying.com/us-wareho...solution-head-unit-universal-car-gps-rad.html

A 200F thermostat to improve over the stock which barely keeps mine at 178F.

Two brand new Ford keys and two new key cases to refresh the original two. My dealer will cut them for free and I can program them myself.

With these improvements it is more than a match for anything I could reasonably afford. Other than autopilot features it will be very nicely appointed. I am amazed at the condition of this vehicle with 340k miles and runs and drives like new.

Last edited:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG

Interesting that you mention the 2016s. I have a customer who works for VW and I was talking with him a few days ago about 'Dieselgate'. He said the 16s are going to be fixed and sold at a discount in the US. I know, I know, more hearsay, but I have a hard time believing that the newer models with urea can't be modified to meet EPA standards. Why wouldn't VW sell them if this is the case?

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting that you mention the 2016s. I have a customer who works for VW and I was talking with him a few days ago about 'Dieselgate'. He said the 16s are going to be fixed and sold at a discount in the US. I know, I know, more hearsay, but I have a hard time believing that the newer models with urea can't be modified to meet EPA standards. Why wouldn't VW sell them if this is the case?
Does that individual work for VWAG in the US or for a VW dealer? Knowing the answer would value his information.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Think Mazda has announced a diesel for the CX-5. Hoping for a diesel for the Mazda3 or 6 in about 6 years when I'll want another.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Think Mazda has announced a diesel for the CX-5. Hoping for a diesel for the Mazda3 or 6 in about 6 years when I'll want another.
Yes, they have. It should be here later in 2017. I will be taking a close look at it. One brief test drive in a 2016 was positive, but I'd really be interested in the diesel. I'll likely look at the Chevrolet Equinox as well, but don't have high expectations for it. While I'm not looking for a hot rod, that one seems a little underpowered for the size/weight. but, numbers on paper can be deceiving! :D

winks

Veteran Member
If one was going to write a letter to VW voice a message that they should continue VW diesels at least in some form, does anyone know where it could go so the right person reads it? Not that it will do any good but can't hurt. Definitely sucks!
better yet, everyone should pull out of the buyback program/lawsuits, keep their cars and simply force VW to come through with the fix:D

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
They are taking out all the diesels? Doe's that mean I would have to give up my TDI?
How will that affect you? Its an older diesel, not related in anyway to dieselgate.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Theory- maybe they want people to do the fix instead of buyback, so as seen here people have decided to keep their car.
From what I've read, it seems the majority wants to cash in.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Sad news. We've lost the best cars VW produced due to unrealistic demands by our government.
I understand where you are coming from but I also need to look at it from the point of view of the other manufacturers (MB, BMW, Jeep, etc.) who, despite the unrealistic EPA demands for light duty diesel emissions, complied successfully. In fact in one of the other threads there is a telling graph from waxman that shows the BMW X5 diesel doing better emission wise on the road testing (University of WV) than the latest GREET model.

So yes VW got caught in the "speed trap" being greedy to get to the 'finish line' sooner.

Add to all of this fuel at around $2/Gallon (average) and it is not looking good for anything fuel efficient including electrical vehicles for the time being.

Tatronation

TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Sucks... looks like I snagged my MK4 alh wagon at just the right time. It is at 60k and will be driven as long as i can keep it on the road. wonder what the value of the low mileage alh will be in the future.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Sucks... looks like I snagged my MK4 alh wagon at just the right time. It is at 60k and will be driven as long as i can keep it on the road. wonder what the value of the low mileage alh will be in the future.
Sweet. I let a MK4 Golf with 90k get away. :(

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I think VW's exit from diesel cars in the USA (at least for now) is totally predictable for several reasons. First is the ever-tightening emission regs here on diesel cars, resulting in more costly hardware/software, driving the BOM higher, resulting in higher MSRP's. Second, I believe they just do not know the potential buyer impact here as a result of Dieselgate. I think they are taking the cautious approach of pulling out and seeing if there is a groundswell of demand. If yes, they will return, if no, they will not. Remember, they pulled out of the US market for a number of years not that long ago over tightening emission regulations here.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which is my point. If people think they may not be able to get a diesel down the road, they may be inclined to keep theirs, as some have stated here.
Your point was they might want to keep them, I said it seems most want to cash in, which means they aren't keeping them, :p

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Your point was they might want to keep them, I said it seems most want to cash in, which means they aren't keeping them, :p
They think it's a great deal on paper. But in the long run they will loose. When they but that new car they are right back down that rabbit hole.

The money they made off of VW they will loose when they drive there new car off the dealers lot. Then you have to pay income tax

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Interesting that the majority of owners who want out of their TDI are here, while others who intend to keep their TDI, like us, are the local owners that we know and have talked with. Giving up the Mk7 build quality and MPG performance is simply not a viable choice in our opinion and experience, after driving some new CVT configured 2017 gas models.
-Rod

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm quite happy taking the 5 grand i never expected and keep driving the passat another couple hundred thousand miles... see you can cash in AND keep your car

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm quite happy taking the 5 grand i never expected and keep driving the passat another couple hundred thousand miles... see you can cash in AND keep your car
LOL, winning. :D

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Interesting that the majority of owners who want out of their TDI are here, while others who intend to keep their TDI, like us, are the local owners that we know and have talked with. Giving up the Mk7 build quality and MPG performance is simply not a viable choice in our opinion and experience, after driving some new CVT configured 2017 gas models.
-Rod
Why would you sell a TDI that you can't replace it with a new one. There nothing out there that can match it.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Yup. And if you look at the projections for CAFE requirements over the next 20 years, diesels will be back. No way to meet the goals with the only offerings being full electrics and TSI hand grenades.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

Why would you sell a TDI that you can't replace it with a new one. There nothing out there that can match it.
Sure there is. Quite a few new gassers are only a few mpg behind with about the same power. And regular unleaded is cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I like TDI's, but the maintenance cost and high risk of something expensive breaking might not be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.