No more Check Eng Light.....Ever

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Well.....after owning my TDI for the past 4 yrs...I've come to the point that I no longer need a litte light to tell me to have a peek at my car...Like most any car owner you "know" how your car should feel...and drive. If it doesn't feel "right"...then you have a "look-see" to find out why.
After several "implausabel signals" and "intermittent faults"...and the ocasional "indeterminate error"...I did it....I shut off the darn "Check engine light"....for ever may it rest in peace!
Total time to perform this joyful "modification"...about 30 min.

Disconnect the neg (-) battery terminal.
Remove the instrument cluster
Open instrument cluster
Look at the Tachometer at about 4K RPM
Carefully lift the plastic face of the tach... on the back-side of the plastic... place a small piece of electrican's tape over the "CEL" icon.
Reassemble the instrument cluster
Reinstall the cluster
Reconnect the battery....you're done.

This will likely cause alot of debate on this issue...but ask your self....do you really need a little light to tell you that something is awry ? The other point is...when I perform any regular maintenance I always do a Vag-Com check...just to see if any thing is going on...So my point is..I really don't need that little light...not at all.

testDummy

Veteran Member
I agree with you on the useless CEL, Herm. I salute you that you have the courage to tell the world what you did.

I found myself kept peeking at the light, wondering what were ALL these problems behind this little light. I don't need the light to tell me there was an intermittent glow plug, I don't care if ALL the GP going south! As long as I can start the car and go. Worst of all with this light is it doesn't tell you anything helpful when the car is not running well, or not running at all.

This light is a money machine for the stealers, nothing but.

Ditch the CEL, I'll say.

dogbreath

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Jetta Sequoia Green
Takes a real man to drive around without a CEL, you are our hero sir! /images/graemlins/wink.gif
The audacity, the courage, absolutely fearless!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

teleskier

Veteran Member
Suppose it's better than electrical tape over the display.

Mine has been driving me so nuts I'm about ready to temporarily block it out too. Ever notice how you hear every little chirp and rattle when it's on, that never concerned you before? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
For future reference and easy searching, perhaps this thread should be renamed "Head in the Sand mod." /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dutch

Veteran Member
TDI
110kW 2.0 TDI Golf model 7
And while you're at it, also remove the oil pressure light and disconnect the coolant temperature meter.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
[ QUOTE ]
63Ragtop said:
For future reference and easy searching, perhaps this thread should be renamed "Head in the Sand mod." /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Dutch said this:
And while you're at it, also remove the oil pressure light and disconnect the coolant temperature meter

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how the automotive industry ever functioned... prior to the advent of OBD-II ....Besides...you have to admit it...the CEL is nothing more than a "stealership" magnet

Go ahead...take the plunge & just do it..Besides...I know one forum member that actually took a drill & bit to his CEL...that is where I got my insperation from...Go "Ian" !!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
why not just remove the bulb itself for the CEL light? If you can access the rear of the cluster should be easy.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
Howdy Greenskeeper,
When I had my cluster out....I removed the back cover....and it looks like the bulds are beneith or below a printed circut board...I didn't want to fiddle with that unit. So it was easier to just cover the back of the "CEL" icon.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
HeHeHE, That's what used car dealers do to unload some clam that needs expensive work. My buddies used '99 GMC P/U from a UCD had the trace on the circuit board cut with with a razor knife to kill the light. It neaded 2 O2 sensors and a coil pack. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Herm... great mod. I haven't <knock on wood> had a CEL yet on my '03... and I also have Vag-Com, so I see where you're coming from.

My old RV, a 1989 Coachmen Catalina class-C, was giving an intermittent check engine light... it seemed to go out when I refueled, then would come on a few days later. The Chevy dealership mechanic told me it was the O2 sensor. I ordered a new one. Then I felt like a complete idiot becuase I couldn't figure out where it was supposed to go! Well, I felt better when I figured out that it didn't have one. The guy at the dealership said "impossible". So he got under it. Sho'nuff, no O2 sensor! So, I continued to ignore the CEL.

Well, I was in line at the emissions station... of course, the CEL lights up and I'm next in line. The first thing they do is look for a CEL and it's an automatic failure! I reached up under the dash (the light was not in the cluster, but in the dash next to the cluster) and pulled the socket out. I popped out the nice, warm bulb and tossed it under the couch. I put the bulb holder back and proceeded to pass the emissions test with flying colors.

I told my brother that I solved the CEL mystery... there was an error due to one too many bulbs behind the dash. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
I just painted over the CEL with my wife's toenail paint. Only took about 30 seconds to do.

Didn't even have to take the dash apart...

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I hope you chose a color that compliments your interior... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jerry Stringer

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Emerald Green
Herm TDI,
It seems the grass is always greener on the other side. After I purchased my TDI last year, I noticed that the CEL never came on, even when starting the car. I looked under the dash and sure enough, there was black electrical tape on some wires right where that light is. Later, after acquiring VAG-COM, I noticed that I had error codes for glow plug problems. I eventually replaced all of the glow plugs and made a new harness. I wish my light worked. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jerry

spyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW GLS NB TDI (UTE)
My darn light has been on so long I'm certain the little bastard will just burn out eventually. Hopefully, maybe, not sure........ /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Wow - dredging up a thread that hadn't been touched in almost 11.5 years...well done!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
My darn light has been on so long I'm certain the little bastard will just burn out eventually. Hopefully, maybe, not sure........ /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Let's see.....going on 11 years since the quote above was posted.

The "bulb" is most likely a LED and has a rated life of 100k hours (11.4 years), assuming the LED hasn't been overstressed electrically.

LEDs normally don't fail abruptly, assuming they haven't been overstressed electrically, mechanically, and thermally. The light output over the rated life slowly drops off over the years and the life rating is conservative. After 100k hours the LED will still have at least 50% of its original brightness. Assuming the car is kept turned on 24/7 and keeping the CEL on 24/7, the LED should have lost only a few percent of its light output compared to its output when new.

IOW, waiting for the LED to burn itself out is not practical.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
...I bet he put a piece of black tape over it years ago until the car groaned to a halt on the side of the road somewhere :D

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
This thread must be from before Scangauge II. When mine pops a code I usually have it logged and cleared before the next shift.