No heat, but AC is fine (Beetle)

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
I apologize if this has been answered by other threads before, but it seems like diagnosing a heat issue has a few facets, and it's hard to distinguish between the effects of each - that is, thermostat, heater core, blend door.

I have foam blowing in my face and my vent selector barely changes where the air goes, so I know the blend doors are failing. My first question:

On the *Beetle*, can can all three blend doors be accessed without removing the whole dash? I've seen info on the Jetta, etc, but I'm unclear on how to access the heater box in the NB without doing all of this: https://www.newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/41973-blend-door-diy.html

Also, I'm concerned about what else may be wrong. Although my heat is only barely warm, my cold comes through just fine. Does this mean more than just my blend doors are bad - maybe my heater core is gone too? Should I just replace it anyway if I'm taking all this stuff apart?

Extra info: Thermostat seems fine, as the operating temp is about 185 F

Thanks for any advice

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
In addition, if I do have to take out my whole dash to do this job in the Beetle, what other components would be good to replace at the same time?

I already mentioned the heater core, but is there something similar with the AC?
How about the blower motor/fan, blower resistor, or other items?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Heater core is probably fine, just need to seal the blend door.

I'm just learning new beetle stuff...I know Jetta things, so I'm certainly following along

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The NB's HVAC case is essentially the same layout as the G/J.

You *can* get in there (with some digging) to get to *some* of the doors with the HVAC case still in the car. It is a pain, and you are limited as to how well you can actually do it. To do it right, and complete, you need to remove the whole case from the car (which is a big job, but not nearly as bad as you'd think, just tedious and lots of steps).

Taking the "center stack" out of the dash will get you going in the right direction, anyway. The whole part that has the center vents, radio, and HVAC control head in it (you'll need to remove the little pod underneath where the hazard light switch and heated seats (if equipped) control switches are located, as well as the two side lower dash pieces. Mostly a bunch of T20 Torx screws and some clips.

But if you want to take the whole dash out, the NBs are not too bad (easier than the G/J) because the top part doesn't go as far forward.

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
You *can* get in there (with some digging) to get to *some* of the doors with the HVAC case still in the car. It is a pain, and you are limited as to how well you can actually do it. To do it right, and complete, you need to remove the whole case from the car
This is what I've been wondering for a while. I think I'm going to take the plunge and just do this - especially because I don't know which parts I'll have to remove vs leave either way. While I'm there, I think I will replace the heater core just because it makes sense and is a part that often fails. Is there any way to diagnose this before taking my dash apart?

I've removed the center part of the dash/console and the glove box a few times before. Those are easy. It's the steering wheel and whatever structural pieces that may block me that concern me more. And unfortunately, just removing the center portion (as far as I can tell) doesn't give access to much of anything heater-wise. I would be happy to be wrong though.

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
Oh also: Will complete removal of the heater box mean my AC lines will have to be disconnected as well? Will that require a shop to flush them + capture the refrigerant and all that? Can I avoid doing this and still have access to all the blend doors + heater core?

oilhammer

TDI
To get the HVAC case out, yes the refrigerant will (should) need to be recovered.

No big deal, really. I doubt any shop would poo-poo a gravy evac (and subsequent) recharge. I certainly wouldn't.

oilhammer

TDI
I have never seen a split case on any later car, that was an A2 and A3 thing.

Seriously, you will fight it not just getting the A/C recovered. It isn't worth the hassle not to.

BeetleDragon737

TDI
'99.0 New Beetle
This is an old post, but I just want to update this for anyone having to do this on their Beetle. For A4's having cable-controlled HVAC systems (such as my NB, and probably most '99s), it's a two-piece heater box. So flushing the refrigerant is not necessary. Here's some more info: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=372991

Also, here's a couple pictures to show what you'll be getting into: