No head lights....help!!!

powaw

TDI
2003 Golf 5spd
Short story, the vehicle is an 03 golf tdi 5spd. Lights functioned as normal last night. This morning there are no headlights, and no blinkers. You can flash the highs, but no constant on. The lows don't come on at all. The blinkers work everywhere if hazard system is used. It was dark so I just took another car, but I will have to deal with it tonight. Any ideas? I'll check fuses (which one?). I figured that it is a relay or maybe the headlight switch. Anyone else seen this?

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I saw similar behavior when my headlight switch went out. I replaced it with one of the euro switches and things are fine again. You might want to see if someone in your area can swap switches with you to verify the problem. This is of course after checking fuses and bulbs, with a multimeter if necessary, to verify their status.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I have a problem right now with my dimmer switch. High beams are OK, but lows don't always come on or drop out while driving. I sprayed it out with cleaner and it worked for a couple more days, but is acting up again.

My signals etc. are working and fortunately I have driving lights for when the lows drop out (new switch on order too).

Check to see if other electical things are having issues. Everything you mentioned requires the ignition to be turned on to use. Try the wipers to see if it's lighting related or ignition.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the fuses are OK, then it is most likley the combo switch. You need to remove the steering wheel to replace these, and the airbag clips can be a real bugger to get loose.

powaw

TDI
2003 Golf 5spd
combo switch? I did try the wipers and they worked. Our ignition switch is getting *****y, and gets worse depending on how cold it is (meaning that sometimes it needs a wiggle for it to light the starter). It is supposed to warm up today. Do you think if I go home and the lights are working again that I need to replace the ignition switch? Or maybe disassemble and clean somehow?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you already knew you had a possible ignition switch issue, then why did you post here and not just replace that???

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
oilhammer said:
If you already knew you had a possible ignition switch issue, then why did you post here and not just replace that???

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
A new one is $15... eventually your wipers and HVAC blower will quit working. Then the car won't go at all.

-Jason