No Golf TDI - Honda Civic Hybrid, VW GTI...?

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
I too paused upon reading all of the CEL light issues. I have a JSW on order. My thoughts are that some teething problems are inevitable with the new technology and relatively low time in manufacturing. I am also holding onto the likelihood that these problems are over represented here and that my car will likely be ok. The only reason I am taking this chance is how awesome this car is (fuel economy and fun factor). Otherwise, I would be buying a Corolla or Civic and it would be simple transportation.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
so i finally emailed few dealers asking if they would order me a 4dr M GOLF TDI, im gonna go in on friday to test drive one, and if all is good, i will putting in an order so hopefully i can take delivery before end of June, so to get full tax credit.
im not happy to hear about issues people are having, but VW allready sold over 60,000 TDI's, and if this was hapening to most of them, im sure there would have been some kind of recall,
im sure it was just a bad batch, and hopefully mine will work fine

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
NEWS FLASH:

Any new car you purchase can have early problems... I have had more than 30 and more than half have had CEL issues in the first 1000 miles. So, belly up to the bar with the rest of us and enjoy the ride!

P.S. 3324 miles and no issues '10 JSW 6M

Last edited:

takebars

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
2010 JSW TDI DSG - Zero issues with 7000+ miles.
Don't get a hybrid, boooorrringgg!! I test drove the '10 prius first, and it was a decent car. That is, until I test drove the TDI. The complainers always yell the loudest.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
6,300 miles no CEL.

Forums do tend to make issues seem bigger then they really are.
I'm very happy with my VW TDI.

To insure you won't have any issues with a new car, buy a Toyota.....oh wait, on second thought...

Last edited:

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Please forgive the newb question but....... What IS the CEL problem? Is CEL the temperature sensor in the DSG?

RedSoxFan

TDI
2004 Duramax, 2009 Jetta TDI
CEL = Check Engine Light. Usually means that one of the many sensors on the car has encountered a value outside the normal range and is calling your attention to it. I've yet to have one on my 10 JSW after almost 8K trouble free miles.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Worst CEL I ever had was on our new 1985 Oldsmobile. Dealer could not fix it, ever.

So I put a strip of black electrical tape over it and never saw it again;).

Now I have one on my 2001 Jetta......Oh me!:eek: What to do.....:confused:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Yahoo!!!

I think you guys have me convinced with 42 posts of good experiences. Actually, I think I was hooked after the test drive. I just loved the car. A local dealer just obtained 2 more Golf TDI cars, both with the Dynaudio upgrade and one that also has the xenon light upgrade. I am going to go there tomorrow to check the upgrades to see what I think.

I won't buy one of those cars, because they are not the color I want and the one with the xenon lights has the DSG. I want a manual. But it will be great to see and try the options to imagine how they will be in the car I finally do order.

Also, before I order, I am waiting for one of those price reports from Consumer Reports to get a better feeling about how much the dealer would be making if they charge MSRP or invoice price. I don't know if the knowledge will help me with my negotiations, if there are any negotiations considering the limited availablity. Even so, I want to have the information.

Maybe you guys could help me with this too. For the 2010 Golf TDI, do most peple end up spending MSRP, a certain amount above invoice, or invoice price? What kind of discount on that price, if any, sounds reasonable to you guys?

Thanks for all of your help and for all the good news about not everyone having CEL issues.

myzamboni

TDI
2010 4Dr TDI Golf (CW)
ksing44 said:
I think you guys have me convinced with 42 posts of good experiences. Actually, I think I was hooked after the test drive. I just loved the car. A local dealer just obtained 2 more Golf TDI cars, both with the Dynaudio upgrade and one that also has the xenon light upgrade. I am going to go there tomorrow to check the upgrades to see what I think.

I won't buy one of those cars, because they are not the color I want and the one with the xenon lights has the DSG. I want a manual. But it will be great to see and try the options to imagine how they will be in the car I finally do order.

Also, before I order, I am waiting for one of those price reports from Consumer Reports to get a better feeling about how much the dealer would be making if they charge MSRP or invoice price. I don't know if the knowledge will help me with my negotiations, if there are any negotiations considering the limited availablity. Even so, I want to have the information.

Maybe you guys could help me with this too. For the 2010 Golf TDI, do most peple end up spending MSRP, a certain amount above invoice, or invoice price? What kind of discount on that price, if any, sounds reasonable to you guys?

Thanks for all of your help and for all the good news about not everyone having CEL issues.
Go in with an open mind and give the DSG a try. I think you will be very impressed.

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
ksing44 -

Go to Chris at VW of Langhorne and mention TDIClub. Do a search of user name 3193 (that's really his user name here!).

Ray

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I tried another test drive in a 2010 Golf TDI. This time the car had everything I wanted, but it was a 2-door. It was blue graphite, manual, Dynaudio, sunroof, and xenon lights. It may have had the heated seats, but I didn't think to look or try them.

It is amazing how low the rpms are at highway speed. It is also amazing how it pulls at low rpms in all of the gears. I also really like the way the car feels, with the tight quick handling. I will miss my beautiful E320, but it will be fun to drive a 6-speed diesel.

Bye the way, I also sent an email to Chris. The car will probably have to be ordered, so it will be interesting to see if there is still room to negotiate.