No fuel out of #2, 3, and 4 Injectors

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Hey all. Helped my friend change his timing belt on his 2003 ALH Jetta this past week. While we were in there, we also put in an 11 mm pump that we had found for him. When I picked up the pump, the big nut was taken off, so I sent it away to get put back on and timed properly. Got it primed, started, timed and IQ adjusted all to spec. Ran great, everything sounded good.

He drove it almost all the way home, about 25km from where we worked on it, and then it died. He popped the hood and found the clear fuel line was empty. Called a tow truck and got it to his place. He primed the pump again, and cracked the injector lines. There is no fuel coming out of #2 3 or 4. #1 spurts fuel pretty good.

Does anyone know what we could check? We're going to check for 12v at the fuel shut off tonight.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
So we have 12v at the shut off. Pulled the case pressure relief valve and found it walked out of place, fixed that. Having a hard time priming the pump. Pulling 22inhg and not really getting any flow through the clear line. We checked the fuel flow through just the filter and it comes out strong. Any ideas?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
To properly bleed a fresh install IP, disconnect the fuel return line from the pump. Draw a vaccum (or suck) using a clear hose on the return pipe until you get steady fluid. Reconnect, open all 4 injectors 'bout a third turn, put out rags and crank. They should bleed fairly quick. Reconnect and fire it up!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
So we have 12v at the shut off. Pulled the case pressure relief valve and found it walked out of place, fixed that. Having a hard time priming the pump. Pulling 22inhg and not really getting any flow through the clear line. We checked the fuel flow through just the filter and it comes out strong. Any ideas?
You're not pulling a vacuum on the pump supply port are you? You have to apply vacuum on the pump return line....the hard line that comes out of the driver's side of the pump head.

I just did this a couple weeks ago, and of course started with the wrong port. Once I switched to the pump return line, with a Miti-Vac it pulled fuel through the pump in a minute or two max.

After that, I just cracked the nut on injector #1 and got fuel right away. The car started 10 seconds later. I didn't even touch injectors 2-3-4.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
I'm bleeding it right. I've done it tons before. Pulling through the metal return on the pump. Don't see any fuel through the clear line. Only getting fuel at #1. Bone dry at 2 3 4.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
My first suspect broken parts in the pump. Like the plunger between the cam rollers and the IQ Sleeve. It sounds like the drive is turning and the cam is turning which would move the plunger in and out, but it's not turning it.

I hope I am wrong. Get it bled first.

If needed, take out the return fitting and install a fitting there that will allow you to put you Mityvac on there without the restrictions in the fitting. Or, you can hang and IV of fuel from the hood until you get fuel out the return line.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Still couldn't get it primed. Swapped the 10mm back in and primed it and it fired right up. He's going to have it rebuilt. Thanks for all the suggestions.