No fuel 2000 ALH

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Yesterday afternoon, my Son's Jetta quit on him. Got to him, and found a big bubble in the fuel line. Removed and replaced the fuel filter. Both lines were empty. Plugged in the Mighty-Vac on the return line from the IP and commenced pumping. It took forever to fill the filter and a vacuum of 15+ inches to do it.

At this point I became suspicious of something further back in the lines.

Dragged it home with Lurch, and poured in most of a bottle of PS 911. Came back 2 hrs later and still found it nearly impossible to draw fuel from the tank. am tempted to try blowing backwards through the supply TO the fuel filter...but since it is now above freezing I don't know what I'd do if it flows easily( with the tank open ).

Any suggestions? I'd really like to figure out just what happened so it can be dealt with and not have to worry about him later.
Thanks!
Douglas

eszut

TDI
Golf 2000 Blk
I see your location is MI could have water now frozen in fuel line. Check the top of the fuel sending units. (under back seat there is an access panel) There is a mod to drill out the roll over check valve.
I also once had some bad fuel with water literally had an inch of water/Ice in the bottom of my tank and ice clunking around in my fuel filter

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
There's a check valve in the fuel pick-up in the tank that has been known to cause problems. Some guys drill it out.

You want to make sure the rest of the system is air tight if you do since it makes it easier to loose prime.

Jetpilot2112

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
I've had the same issue, I think. Twice so far this season, my ALH Golf has quit on me about 200 yards beyond my driveway. The first time it happened, I had it towed to a shop and they had to mightyvac the lines. I think I have an air leak somewhere but I'm not sure where. The most recent instance was yesterday morning, 10°F outside with the cold snap here in Ohio. Same thing, same spot on the road.

My first thought was that the fuel had gelled with the cold snap due to me not having added any winterizer yet. But now I'm thinking no, it's not a coincidence. I must be getting air but not I'm not sure where. I think in both instances, I hadn't driven the car for a while.

Thoughts? Where should I look first? I see some suggestions mentioning the sending unit and a mod. Could anyone point me toward a tutorial?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jetpilot2112

TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG
I think I'll do the same... Though I'm not sure how the check valve causes issues. I'll have to read up some more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

caligta

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 6-speed manual & 2003 Golf, 6-speed manual
I had a very similar issue and it was something (dead beetle or fly) lodged behind the check valve that was restricting fuel flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The main plastic screen was clear. There was a fair bit of crud in the bottom of the cup. I took it apart, and took a while to figure out where exactly that damn check valve was...and then I took the drill to it, re-assembled and re-installed. Pulled a wee bit o' fuel through the filter, opened the injector nuts and cranked it a bit. Then closed it up and it lit...:)

I thank y'all for your assistance. Hats off and three cheers...:)
cheers,
Douglas