No DVD/Wrong DVD

Buzzard Cake

I have an A5 Jetta TDI with Nav. The first few months I had it were great, but about three weeks ago I started the car and it said Wrong DVD (or NO DVD, I can't remember). I had the Nav DVD in my glove box and re-inserted it and it was fine. It's been happening intermittently, ever since. More frequently lately, now that I think about it. It happens at least once a week.

I leave the DVD in there and I still get either a No DVD or a Wrong DVD message so I have to take it out and put it back in. It's ok once I do that but it worries me.

It isn't a HUGE deal and it's intermittent, but it's annoying and I'm hoping it isn't indicative of a larger problem. Car has ~ 1250 miles on it and I love it otherwise.

Does anyone know what this might be?

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
Drive or disc error. probly have to wait until it's more regular, and take it to the dealer... did you ask oldpoopie? I hear he's pretty helpful;) j/k

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
hmmm, I'd be all over the service dept. like white on poop, errr, like flies on rice, whatever :cool:

It's a brand spanking new car :sheesh:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
fail on command

When you can make it fail on command, then show it to the dealer service
writer. Intermittents are impossible to fix reliably.
How do you know when you have fixed an intermittent problem??!!??
This is a warranty issue, you should have no problems getting it resolved.

Look on the bright side, no one has posted here about (stealer)dealership
incompetence. (because the usual complainers don't have a clue about this
problem.):rolleyes:

Good luck!
and it wouldn't hurt to call the dealer and ask if there is a service bulletin
on the subject.

Bill

5harkology

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG
I have this exact same problem and in the same intervals (about once a week). I have to go to the dealer for other, non-related issues and don't expect them to do much about this problem as I'm sure I won't be able to reproduce it while I'm there.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
on a dealer note, my gf's jetta was having intermitent trunk latching problems, she took it to Dick Hannah's service department, they fixed the latch no questions asked...

roncace

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Spice Red
My '06 was having this exact same problem. Eject/reinsert of the DVD provided temporary relief, but it wouldn't fail on command for the dealer. Finally my wife called me one day to say it had done it again as she was starting out from home. Since she hadn't reset it yet, I had her take it directly to the dealer and leave everything on until a tech could look at it.

Once they finally had confirmation of a real problem they fiddled a bit, called VW, and finally decided to give us a new map DVD on the chance that the old one was scratched or defective. Haven't had the problem since then.

roncace

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Spice Red
fish_on said:
DVD? Which package has a DVD drive?
Anything with the Navigation system has a combination CD/DVD drive in the dash unit to read the map data disc, which is DVD data format. If you choose not to insert the map disc then you can use the drive to play a music CD instead. Can't do both at the same time however, since it's a single-disc unit. I added the optional 6-disc CD changer in the center armrest because I prefer to keep the map disc loaded at all times.

SCEHAR

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Black
I had a customer that bought a car with DVD nav and was having problems with it. His was pointing him on railroad tracks just completely sporadic too. I had my techs take a look at it and low and behold it was a fault code that neaded to be programmed or I remember it being something along those lines. Basically they plugged in a VAG-Com unit and plugged away until they found the fault. Rather time consuming and of course service wasn't happy about it but it did get fixed. I would try having them use the Vag com to find it. But it sounds to me as if it is along the same lines as his problem with the nav unit was. His didn't do things wrong all the time either but it was odd. Just my 2 cents.
Sean