No crank, battery and Alternator good

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
I have a 2013 VW Golf TDI with tech package. I have 118K miles on it. Lately and intermittently, it doesn’t crank, or even attempt to crank when the start button is pressed. The dash lights flash then go blank!

the problem has been inconsistent at best!

Just wondering if you have any suggestions to look at?

is there a corrosion prone spot?

relay?

I appreciate your time and input!!

thank you!!

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have a 2013 VW Golf TDI with tech package. I have 118K miles on it. Lately and intermittently, it doesn’t crank, or even attempt to crank when the start button is pressed. The dash lights flash then go blank!

the problem has been inconsistent at best!

Just wondering if you have any suggestions to look at?

is there a corrosion prone spot?

relay?

I appreciate your time and input!!

thank you!!
pull the bitton out and clean it. the contact surface gets tarnished. and order another one to have. what i do with my kessy car is just hold the button. i dont press it twice. it reduces wear. also is the battery in your key getting weak? it could be tripping tje immobiliser. try having the fob right next to the button.

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
pull the bitton out and clean it. the contact surface gets tarnished. and order another one to have. what i do with my kessy car is just hold the button. i dont press it twice. it reduces wear. also is the battery in your key getting weak? it could be tripping tje immobiliser. try having the fob right next to the button.
I swapped the key fob battery a couple weeks ago

I also cleaned the ignition switch, maybe more cleaning is necessary

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I swapped the key fob battery a couple weeks ago

I also cleaned the ignition switch, maybe more cleaning is necessary
i was tempted to wire in a 4 pole momentary switch under my dash. look around and order a spare button. many have been replaced.
so does the ignition turn on and it just not crank? or does it act as if the key wont turn on?

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
i was tempted to wire in a 4 pole momentary switch under my dash. look around and order a spare button. many have been replaced.
so does the ignition turn on and it just not crank? or does it act as if the key wont turn on?

I replaced the push button with a VW OEM switch and no difference. I charged the battery overnight and it cranks in the morning when cool. I drove to work today with no radio on, no extra lights on or anything. Come out and no crank. The battery tested with a meter at 12.56V .Hooked an F-250 Powerstroke diesel to it and the it showed 13.51V and wouldn't crank.

My next move is to locate the starter relay and replace it i guess

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Are you getting power to the solenoid on the starter? If you are, but it's not cranking, its likely your starter is failed. Some of those ones had problems with the solenoid failing prematurely, and depending on which starter you have, I may have the solenoid for it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I replaced the push button with a VW OEM switch and no difference. I charged the battery overnight and it cranks in the morning when cool. I drove to work today with no radio on, no extra lights on or anything. Come out and no crank. The battery tested with a meter at 12.56V .Hooked an F-250 Powerstroke diesel to it and the it showed 13.51V and wouldn't crank.

My next move is to locate the starter relay and replace it i guess
So does the ign come on for acc, it just won't crank? How's the engine ground and the starter power cable? And the crank wire? Have you verified everything first?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My guess it the starter is spanked. I do have a spare for my mk6 jsw dsg. I had to replace the starter on mine. It wouldn't crank at times.

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you getting power to the solenoid on the starter? If you are, but it's not cranking, its likely your starter is failed. Some of those ones had problems with the solenoid failing prematurely, and depending on which starter you have, I may have the solenoid for it.

When it doesn't crank, I mean it doesn't even try, No click, nothing. The dash lights will also go blank and all sorts of faults show, kinda like the battery has been disconnected.

Yesterday after work, it didn't start, wouldn't do a thing. Came in this morning and before work, it starts flawlessly. Its like its heat related or something.

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
My guess it the starter is spanked. I do have a spare for my mk6 jsw dsg. I had to replace the starter on mine. It wouldn't crank at times.

Does a new starter also come complete with the solenoid?

When it doesn't crank, I mean it doesn't even try, No click, nothing. The dash lights will also go blank and all sorts of faults show, kinda like the battery has been disconnected.

Yesterday after work, it didn't start, wouldn't do a thing. Came in this morning and before work, it starts flawlessly. Its like its heat related or something.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Could also be a loose connection at the battery or at the starter. Checking and cleaning your connections is free.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Does a new starter also come complete with the solenoid?

Yes, starter I have is complete. I've disassembled, cleaned and lubed it. It was an emergency used starter while the dealer sent me one. Check your main power and grounds. The chassis neg comes loose.

Aaron Peter

TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI
I have a 2010 Jetta TDI, similar problem. Intermittent failure to start. Mine clicks, doesn't start. Dealer looked at it twice, (charged $240 for diagnosis) says that there is a problem with the ignition switch, they want $640 to replace it. But, it starts fine in the shop, despite the problem with the ignition switch. So, no guarantee that replacing the ignition switch will fix it.
Any thoughts?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I have a 2010 Jetta TDI, similar problem. Intermittent failure to start. Mine clicks, doesn't start. Dealer looked at it twice, (charged $240 for diagnosis) says that there is a problem with the ignition switch, they want $640 to replace it. But, it starts fine in the shop, despite the problem with the ignition switch. So, no guarantee that replacing the ignition switch will fix it.
Any thoughts?
Seems like a failing starter sulenoid

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Back in 2016 my 2010 Golf TDI had an intermittent no crank problem that turned out to be the crank sensor (a.k.a., crankshaft position sensor). When it wouldn't start I'd get a service now CEL, but the CEL would go away when it finally did start. It was a seemingly random thing, but became a bit more frequent over time. It was an inexpensive part but it wasn't an inexpensive repair at the dealer because they needed to remove the timing belt to replace the sensor.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Any thoughts?
Have a shop use an oscilloscope to check the switch/ solenoid. Thats a pretty failsafe way when diagnosing an intermittent no crank like that.