No A/C - Engine code related?

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
Hey everyone.

Got a question the book isn't helping too much with so here i am. I have a 2002 Jetta TDi (of course) and the A/C doesn't work anymore. The light comes on when I hit the switch but the air doesn't blow cold.

I had to replace the MAF a few months back and since then I get an occasional (unrelated?) engine light. I pulled the code and left the sheet of paper at home but the message was "coolant temp sensor input too high". I believe the sensor in question was G62 or something like that.

So, is this sensor causing my A/C problem and, if so, would replacing it solve the problem? Or is this something different. The sensor seems easy enough to replace but i can't find where the end of the wires plug into. Do i have to splice into it? Seems silly that a sensor can't just be unplugged.

Any advise you guys have before I take the beast to the stealership would be great.

Thanks as aways.

Tony B.
Loveland Colorado
02 Jetta GLS TDi -> U-Chip, CCV, etc. 66k and just got over 54 mpg with some city driving.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I'd say the coolant Temp. sensor problem and the A/C problem are unrelated. From what I've read here, the Temp. sensor going on the fritz can make the car harder to start (noticed that?) but not related to A/C issues.From what I've seen from others who have replaced the sensor, it's a relatively easy swap once you get the old one out of the rad. hose. That can be a problem but the wiring unplugs from the sensor, no need to splice. Are you sure you're looking at the right sensor?Good luck with the dealer, BTW they do need to get a matching sensor (they're color coded)

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If the compressor isn't running, then I would look at refrigerant pressure. There is a switch and if the pressure is too low to start, the compressor will not come on.

Now, if the pressure is good (you have refrigerant) then the switch may be faulty.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I am uncertain of the relationship on Volkswagens but many cars do have a safety switch that will disable the A/C if the car is running hot. There is definitely the chance that the bad coolant temp. sensor is causing your problem.

VDubVerruckt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
I just took my car in to the dealership because the A/C doesn't work and when I hit the recirc button, the red "Brake" light in the cluster comes on followed by beeping. I was told that the recirculation fan was dead and that causes the A/C to no longer function. They're replacing the fan under warranty.

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
No hard start or anything like that. Car runs fine. Only time it started hard was when I got some summer weight fuel and it gelled on my wife! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif She was less than happy.

I read in the bentley that if the engine states coolant temp is too high the compressor won't kick in. My compressor is NOT kicking in, I can tell when I get the button.

Anyone got a good source to purchase the G62 sensor from?

Hey Mark of Diesel, I am 99% certain I have the right sensor based on the bentley but I didn't look at the wiring on the plug as it started to leak warm coolant as soon as I pulled it out! It came out so easy with just one clip that i was suprised it actually would hold the coolant system pressure.

Thanks for the info guys. I would really like ot get this solved rather than take it too the dealer. 66k on the car and I am sure they will tell me this isn't a warranty issue.

Tony B.

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
UPDATE!

My parts guy sez that this is probably a A/C cut off switch that isn't working and the part is only about $10. My problem is that I can't find mine! The Bentley shows it just off the head in a coolant pipe but where they show and what I see are NOT the same.

I have attempted to trace the entire coolant system and don't see it anywhere. Anyone with an 02 TDi know where this beast is so I might be able to save myself a few bucks.

The car goes into the dealership on Monday if I don't get it fixed. They told me where the G62 sensor is but I knew where that was already. This sensor is different. Thepartsconnection.com didn't have a listing for a G62. Might they actually be the same part? The bentley sez they are NOT.

Any help would be great.

Tony B.

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
BUMP

No one can tell me where the A/C cut off switch is on my 03 Jetta TDi? (the Bentley sez it is next too the head in a heater hose connector but mine isn't there!) Come on guys save me the dealer cost of getting my A/C fixed.....PLEASE /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I don't get an answer today I am going to be forced to bite the bullet and pay the dealer labor and part price to fix what I think is going to be a simple problem.

I haven't gotten the G62 sensor engine code since I reset it a month or so ago so I have to think the problems are un-related.

Thanks in advance