No 1st 2nd and reverse

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
I've started a new thread since I solved the no crank issue. After a clutch replacement my daughter's car in which she smoked the clutch in 5th gear to get it off the road. All of the shifter bushings failed at once. I have since replaced the bushing using DieselGeeks kit and have adjusted the linkage following his YT videos and it has no 1st 2nd and reverse. After a road test only 3rd 4th and 5th work.
In my other thread WildChild80 suggested "I ask that question because I had a 2.slow that I ended up swapping the trans for that issue, could only get 2nd and 4th, thought it was a simple adjustment but when I did the up and down test, it wouldn't make a full stroke without slight rotation."
Now after much shift play sitting in the yard I managed 1st and 2nd the shift does rotate for those two gears. But reverse is completely missing.
Any ideas?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Can you manually get it in reverse under the hood or is there a mechanical issue? Could the shifter itself have been hurt during the clutch smoking event?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
WC80,
Since I have another 5 speed TDI to compare: the chrome lever does not go down all the way to engage reverse. Ideas?

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Jokila,

I went all the way and bought the $79.00 kit that changed all of the cabin shifter bushings. If fact, I bought two and installed one on my TDI first so I would know what I was doing on the daughter's car. Yes, she loves that car and wants it back asap.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
WC80,
Since I have another 5 speed TDI to compare: the chrome lever does not go down all the way to engage reverse. Ideas?

With the cables disconnected, you should be able to manually manipulate the shift tower to each gear. If you cannot, then that's your problem.

When you said you cannot get the gears it makes me think you don't have the shift tower synced correctly with the shifter. The entire shift pattern is biased to the right too much. Do you have a good lockout on the shift tower? If not, DG has a video on how to sync it even though that is broken.

Last edited:

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Jokila,
I was able to shift all gears with the cables disconnected. I went so far as to set the shifter in reverse and set the linkage there but it did not work. Sooo..... I set the linkage as DG shows (with broken key) and 1st and 2nd are there but with trouble getting to them as I must push down on the shifter slightly to get them there. There is no reverse but I can get it there with the shift tower. Advice?

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Clarification: It went into reverse with the shift tower but as sson as I took it out of reverse it would not shift into reverse. Also, when shifting from the cabin shifter the shift tower refuses to go down all the way but will do so when I use the shift tower manually.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
What are you using to lock the shifter in place? It should not have any play once it's locked into the home position.

It sounds like you still don't have it positioned correctly or there is slack in the cable system. When you release the cable ends, try to stretch out any slack in the cable as you release it to lock.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you replace the shaft bushings/did you get all the gunk of the old bushings out?

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Jokila,

I used DG's locking pin to secure the shifter. Also, I took out all of the slack from the linkage. Could the linkage heads be worn and need to be replaced? It does have 325k on the odometer.

WC80,

After picking the sticky broken pieces off all the bushing components I shopvac'ed the
shifter area inside and out. I didn't want to do the job again.

I've ordered the reverse/backup light switch since one person traced it back to it. Opinion?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Jokila,

I used DG's locking pin to secure the shifter. Also, I took out all of the slack from the linkage. Could the linkage heads be worn and need to be replaced? It does have 325k on the odometer.

WC80,

After picking the sticky broken pieces off all the bushing components I shopvac'ed the
shifter area inside and out. I didn't want to do the job again.

I've ordered the reverse/backup light switch since one person traced it back to it. Opinion?

I cannot see how the reverse light switch would be causing it. The pin on the end of the switch is pushed on by a collar of the shift tower.

Is there side to side slop on the tower? I had a worn shift tower bearing, which allowed enough slop that cause the seal on top to get worn, allowing water to enter the trans case. The alignment might be harder to achieve if the shift tower is not moving correctly.

The end inside the shifter box could finally wear out enough to cause a problem. I think the side to side cable is easily viewed from the shifter area. Just look and see if it has slop.

Last edited:

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Jokila,

Shifting is the same or stiffer than the other TDI. I plan on test driving it and see if any thing will correct itself.

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
LM,
This may be the answer as each time I adjust it helps a little. Except with reverse.

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE:
I replaced the reverse light switch and it was not it. But I am glad I replaced it because the new one is a lot stiffer than the old one. Now, after the test drive 1st and 2nd can only be reached by pressing the shift down like going into reverse. And reverse can only be reached manually under the hood with the chrome lever.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
These problems I find difficult to figure out. I ended up deciding to replace the whole trans and discovered the bearing to the flywheel had broken. The problem was I could get it in gear and it worked for a week then sometimes only a couple gears would work, sometimes not. I’d have to get out and put it in gear under the hood. I adjusted the cables several times. I see you replaced clutch but this was my experience. Hopefully it’s not the problem here

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I still think something in the shifter was bent during the clutch event

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
These problems I find difficult to figure out. I ended up deciding to replace the whole trans and discovered the bearing to the flywheel had broken. The problem was I could get it in gear and it worked for a week then sometimes only a couple gears would work, sometimes not. I’d have to get out and put it in gear under the hood. I adjusted the cables several times. I see you replaced clutch but this was my experience. Hopefully it’s not the problem here
It may be this but won't take it apart until I exhaust every other option :eek:

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
I still think something in the shifter was bent during the clutch event

WC80,

When the linkage heads arrive I will replace them and if its still not fixed I will work my way back to the shifter and bushings

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Ive been following your issues. You said you had to replace the clutch? Exactly what parts in there did you replace? New disk and pressure plate? Clutch arm? Pivot pin and clip? Throw out bearing?

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: SOLVED!!!

I would like to thank everyone who has tried to help with their responses!
The problem was a combination of issues that compounded each other.

First, I put the shifter shaft bushing below the spring upside down. Duh!!!

Second, the foward-back bushing was cracked(which I did not see putting it in) and hampering the shifting process. I solved this by cutting a 5/16 hose allowing just enough space to place a washer and the original clip to hold the linkage loop in place. Now all of this was covered in Red sticky grease to insure ease of play.

Third, the forward-back bushing had a very bad cracked bushing in the set for my 2001 TDI and used the hose method to replace the bushing before I ran it so I did not know the issues it would create as it did for the 2000.

Fourth, the linkage heads came in and were the wrong ones. Thanks, ebay.

Again I would like to thank everyone for their help!

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive been following your issues. You said you had to replace the clutch? Exactly what parts in there did you replace? New disk and pressure plate? Clutch arm? Pivot pin and clip? Throw out bearing?
I installed a new LUK dual mass clutch full kit (daughter's preference) this is the third clutch I've installed- the other two was the regular type soooo I had my doubts as to the cause and why I'm glad anyone can find help on this forum. :D

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I installed a new LUK dual mass clutch full kit (daughter's preference) this is the third clutch I've installed- the other two was the regular type soooo I had my doubts as to the cause and why I'm glad anyone can find help on this forum. :D

I’m glad you figured it out, kudos to your daughter for driving a car with the correct number of pedals.