NMS Front Fender Liner

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
I am curious about the foam pieces behind the NMS front fender liners. Having foam on the inside of the MK4 Jetta front fender liners proved to be a source for rusting of the front fenders. What is the purpose of the foam on the NMS? Is it blocking noise? Is it limiting abrasion of the fender liner on the sheet metal? I know it does a good job of absorbing water.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
The foam is closed cell so it can't absorb water. It can trap water I suppose.

I don't know what the purpose it though.

Yours
Vern

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The foam doesn't appear to be all that 'closed'. I noticed my mudflaps hitting the tire this winter when the foam froze and expanded:

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Probably for noise suppression. How much rust did you see? Do you have pictures? Do they salt the roads in MD?

Perhaps the foam can be removed where it contacts the frame or body?

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
No rust yet. I was just debating whether to remove it or let it ride.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
It is for sound proofing, it stops the excessive tire/ engine noise from transmitting to the door and into the cabin. The door soundproofing is very limited by itself.

mikeyb10461

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Sold-2001 Jetta
I removed these fender blocks from my 13M yesterday while i was putting my summer tires on as they actually pushed my fender liners out and the bottom portion of them were soaked in water.

Does anyone know if there is a product update for them at all? I would like to have the noise suppression that they provide without the bulge in the winter

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our 2010 jetta got new rockers at 120K and 6 winters on VW dime thanks to either that foam or just bad sealing of the liner.

Took two tries to get the dealer to warranty it, but both sides were starting to show that rust right under the fender on top of the rocker.

As for replacement, is dynamat suitable for watery environment?