Nissan Titan 1/2 ton Cummins diesel

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
Saw that too and was going to post.

I wonder if Dodge paid the R&D and then dropped it, made an easy choice for Nissan to pick it up (or was that a V6 they where looking at?).

Great! Should have did this 10 years ago. But secretly I wish they would just put 3.9 or 4.5L I4 in it. :)

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
The Titan needed a refresh and the 5.7 in them is a TOTAL gas pig. I hope this does quite well.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I've been hoping that other 1/2-ton truck builders will follow Ram. I hope Ford and GM will follow along too!!! The 4.5L Duramax engine might not be dead yet...

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
So now there will be a 3.0 L V6 Ram diesel (240 hp & 420 lb-ft) and a 5.0 L V8 Nissan Cummins (300 hp 500-550 lb-ft). The Ford Transit is coming with a 3.2 L I5 that some have hypothesized could find a home in the next F-150. I wonder how that 197 hp and 347 lb-ft would be received, especially if it's the lowest of 3 offerings instead of only the lower of 2? It may hold a fuel economy benefit, at least in an unladen passenger truck.

The Cummins Nissan partnership seems well-suited to spawn an NV diesel as well to further go after the former Big 3's traditional van market since Ram and Ford have moved to very different and tall European offerings.

Personally, I was hoping for the 28 mpg 2.8L I4 they've been testing alongside the DoE, but when your truck isn't appealing I guess a big power alternative is easier to get through marketing when truck sales are soaring. What will happen to all of that I4 development--another case of a boatload of squandered development costs a la Ford and GM's light duty diesels or will there eventually be two diesel options in the Titan? At least Ram's and Cummins' investment in the 5.0 L is now coming to market.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Hoping Nissan and Toyota come through.....my dream truck.....V8 cummins with a loaded 4 wheel drive.....rather have it in a Silverado but I think GM is stuck on Colorado right now.....

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Puzzled a bit by the 5.0 V8 Cummins offering. That engine seemed to pop up out of the blue. Alot of R&D and tooling goes into a new engine design and the market for the Titan is small, and might only get a little bigger. There has to be a wider market anticipated beyond Titan. But industrial/marine/commercial folks don't like v-block engines (at least little ones) as exhaust plumbing is a PITA and bulky and high parts count. From photos, it looks like a conventional exhaust layout, with manifolds on outside vs inside of vee. Puzzling they did not put the exhaust inside, makes truck fitup much easier.

Maybe they intend to shift this engine into HD trucks and other brands. That long 6.7 straight six won't fit in any modern truck unless it is designed for it (ram). Hard to say it really fits in there, either!! The 5.0 probably will fit in any pickup but the compacts.

Will be interesting to watch.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
According to the EPA, all car makers have to up their mpg to 40 mpg by a certain date (2017?), so it is logical for all car makers to include diesel cars+trucks in their line-up, even if developed as "stove-pipe" solutions.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Puzzled a bit by the 5.0 V8 Cummins offering. That engine seemed to pop up out of the blue. Alot of R&D and tooling goes into a new engine design and the market for the Titan is small, and might only get a little bigger. There has to be a wider market anticipated beyond Titan. But industrial/marine/commercial folks don't like v-block engines (at least little ones) as exhaust plumbing is a PITA and bulky and high parts count. From photos, it looks like a conventional exhaust layout, with manifolds on outside vs inside of vee. Puzzling they did not put the exhaust inside, makes truck fitup much easier.

Maybe they intend to shift this engine into HD trucks and other brands. That long 6.7 straight six won't fit in any modern truck unless it is designed for it (ram). Hard to say it really fits in there, either!! The 5.0 probably will fit in any pickup but the compacts.

Will be interesting to watch.
Appears that the 5.0 Cummins will be used in other applications...

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/10/20131004-cummins.html

It's also my understanding that the 5.0 liter was derived from a 5.6 liter engine developed as a USDOE-Cummins partnership about 10 years ago.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
timing (Nissan Titan diesel in 2015?)

Cummins is hiring as they prepare to begin production of 5L V8 that will be used in Nissan Titan 1/2 ton pickup.
Initial production begins late this year of engines for use in school buses and other vehicles.
Engines for Titan will begin production in 2015. Titan should appear in 2015.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Puzzled a bit by the 5.0 V8 Cummins offering. That engine seemed to pop up out of the blue. Alot of R&D and tooling goes into a new engine design and the market for the Titan is small, and might only get a little bigger. There has to be a wider market anticipated beyond Titan. up but the compacts.
Initial development of the ISV was back in the mid 2000's planning on installing in dodge ram and a 6cyl version in dodge suv's. With the downturn in 2008 everything got shelved and things are now being pulled off the shelf as they are likely looking for any customer to help recoup development expenses/ tooling etc.

I saw this engine in person in 2010 at the engine plant. It is physically a large engine despite its displacement....standing next to it felt like it was similar size to a 7.3 powerstroke. I'll snap some pictures next time I see one around.

Spring1898

Veteran Member
I wonder what it will sound like? Cummins will lose their iconic "big rig" sound.
Also I wonder if this engine has gone the "light" medium-duty route of most diesel engines in modern pick ups?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I wonder what it will sound like? Cummins will lose their iconic "big rig" sound.
Also I wonder if this engine has gone the "light" medium-duty route of most diesel engines in modern pick ups?
All new diesels have lost the iconic "big rig" sounds in favor of MUCH better NVH.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Old Cummins made that "big rig" sound by having incredibly noisy gear lash in the cam and injection pump timing gears. Way louder than combustion noise. Glad to see them tame that down. I found it obnoxious. My 8.3 has it, sounds like grinding rocks at idle. At cruise speed, lash is taken up in one direction and it sounds like it should.

Not sure I'd rather have belts or chains, though. Hard to beat the reliability of big heavy gears.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Given that it's using a single-row timing chain... that's not even "light" medium-duty, that's "light" car-duty.