Nice use of a TDI

tightgtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thought you guys would like to see a different application for our beloved diesel. Here is a 2011 Linde forktruck. i work on these for a living. If you have 60k lying around one of these can be yours. My customer bought 7 of these. This year Linde started using the 2.0. I mainly work on 1.9's in the older trucks from a few years ago. Timing belts are a dream, probably takes 1 to 1.5 hours. The model numbers are different from our cars. I'm guessing its due to an industrial application. Linde has been using VW's since around 1977. The early ones were mostly LP. It wasn't until roughly 1994 they started using the diesel for almost every application. Today's trucks are available in both diesel and LP. I enjoy working on these, my laptop is pretty much necessary for everything.

Last edited:

tightgtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Access to the timing belt. Move the filter and its a breeze. Don't you wish our cars were this easy?

Last edited:

tightgtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yup. Had one of my older trucks at another customers with a blown turbo. It split in half and they called cause they couldn't shut it off. The oil feed to the turbo was pumping into the intake tube. It kept running on its own oil. Smoked like a freight train. It was a model BEU. still had injection pump.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Says right on the plate it is governed to 3000rpm.

Interesting motor. Looks to be a 2.0PD with what looks like an ALH emissions setup and PD150-style intake. No idea what sort of turbo but I'm guessing it is sized for the 3000rpm industrial application and would be too small for on-road use.

tightgtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Towmotor. I cringe when I get those calls. The new cats are great. Old ones not so much.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The hp(63@3000) number seems low for 2.0 turbo, are they de-tuned or governed somehow to be power limited?
Industrial/commercial/continuous duty/heavy duty engines are generally rated way below what they could develop. In cars and other high performance applications, longevity takes a slightly back-seat position to performance.

Consider this: A car with 400,000 miles on it logs about 10,000 hours (assuming avg of 40mph, sort of typical)

A lift truck in a busy warehouse working three shifts might log 15hrs a day. 300 days a year works out to 4500hrs a year. In a little more than two years it logs 10,000hr just like the 400,000mi car.

If an engine in a lift poops in two years, the owner will be pissed.

So they rate these engines low so they LAST.

Consider also pumps and generators that could run 24/7: There are 8760hrs in a year. Run it five years and that's 44,000 hours. In a car at 40mph avg that's 1.75 million miles!

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
The block for my current build came from one of these forklifts with 11,000 hours. Going to turn it into a 300+hp cmpound turbo monster...

So much for 3000rpm after I'm done with it.

David

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
IIRC the good ol' 2.sl0 got used a lot for that kind of thing.

Cheap, simple, reliable.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
The dyno shop at the tdifest had a pair of these with rotary pump tdi's. I did immo delete for them.
very cool fork. You can drive it down the street and over speed bumps.

Too bad they didn't want more power. Apparently they can break the pump coupler with the little bit of torque they already have.

Jeff

tightgtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Have you ever played with the LP setup in the old ones? How hard would it be to convert it for use on a car?
yeah the lp fuel system is the same as most other forklifts. it uses an impco setup, consists of a fuel mixer/carb and lp vaporizer. simple setup. looking at the linde parts pages it says the same system is used on a 1.6l and 1.8l

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Could Malone tuning chip it? Hmmm.....
I don't see why not :) I wonder which solution will improve performance with minimal impact on longevity: More HP/Torque or raise the rev. limiter to 4000 RPM (if the valvetrain can handle it). Both can be done simultaneously, of course, but at an extra cost to longevity.

If Vanagon owners can daily drive with a measly 52HP 71ft-lb 1.6L NA diesel engine, I don't see 63HP in this engine being an issue in a typical VW. A better chance of reaching 500,000 miles or beyond would be neat. Finding out the MPG will also be interesting.

What's the timing belt change interval in this CBHA? I also wonder how the internal parts compare to a CBEA/CJAA.

tightgtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
3k hrs. on belt, tensioner, and rollers 6k on same components with water pump replacement