NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Fm: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/goodwill_package/

VW is providing affected 2.0L TDI® owners with a $500 VW Prepaid Visa Loyalty Card, a $500 VW Dealership Card, and
no-charge 24-hour Roadside Assistance for three years*.

Go to the above site for clarification.

I apologize if I have mis-posted this
Got my wife's car registered. It's easy to spend $1000 dollars these days, but why not take it if it's free? I did!

Both of these posts are in the wrong thread! These posts are unrelated to the HPFP issue this thread is about. Please keep all threads related to the emissions scandal in the emissions scandal thread. Dealer $500 VISA cards DO NOT BELONG in this thread. Please keep this thread on-topic.

Have Fun!

Don

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^ditto... mis-posted or not I needed to know this... Thanks Luke!

At 40K on my 2013 Sportwagon (build date Sept 2012) I changed my own fuel filter and found it was full of metal. I phoned the dealer and told them about all the metal and they said bring it in but leave the dirty filter in but I had already cleaned and replaced it. So I drove 25 miles to the dealer on a new clean filter. I watched as the dealers mechanic opened the filter and it was full of metal again in just 25 miles. The mechanic then told me "this is normal, we see it all the time" he then opened up the metering valve port and showed me that it was clean and said "our service bulletin says that as long as this is clear we won't replace the hpfp". The car now has 59,300 miles so this time I had the dealer change the filter and I watched as it was removed but there was maybe only a couple specs and might not have even been metal.

The dealer told me that even with the metal at 40k they can't replace the hpfp under warranty and this model '13 is not eligible for the extended hpfp warranty.

Now with VW taking their time to decide what to do about the emissions scandal recall I'm sitting on a possible catastrophic failure which won't be covered. I would preemptively replace the hpfp but I don't want to put money into a car that might be bought back (probably for another shafting) in a few months.

I've been the most loyal VW customer, owning 14 VW's starting in 1961 including 4 diesels. VW and I are Done!
It's too bad they are willing to let loyal customers like you go so easily... You might be done with VW... but VW might be done period by the time the scope of the current scandal takes it's toll. :)

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
@camanobass While they are technically correct on what warrant will do for the HPFP, I would have still checked the lift pump to be sure. I'm staring to thing about a screen on the line coming from the tank(think sintered metal like Kholer or B&S might use).

Didn't some Canadians have issues with the stainless vs non-stainless rods in the fuel tank pump?

Jason

camanobass

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
@camanobass While they are technically correct on what warrant will do for the HPFP, I would have still checked the lift pump to be sure. I'm staring to thing about a screen on the line coming from the tank(think sintered metal like Kholer or B&S might use).

Didn't some Canadians have issues with the stainless vs non-stainless rods in the fuel tank pump?

Jason
Before the 40k mile discovery by me of metal in filter the passenger side lift pump had failed before 20k. It started screeching loudly and was replaced. I asked about consequences of that failure affecting the HPFP but they said it was isolated.
VW did the maintenance for free up to 30k, so it's possible that when they changed the fuel filter at 20k it had metal then but they didn't report it.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
At 40K on my 2013 Sportwagon (build date Sept 2012) I changed my own fuel filter and found it was full of metal. I phoned the dealer and told them about all the metal and they said bring it in but leave the dirty filter in but I had already cleaned and replaced it. So I drove 25 miles to the dealer on a new clean filter. I watched as the dealers mechanic opened the filter and it was full of metal again in just 25 miles. The mechanic then told me "this is normal, we see it all the time" he then opened up the metering valve port and showed me that it was clean and said "our service bulletin says that as long as this is clear we won't replace the hpfp". The car now has 59,300 miles so this time I had the dealer change the filter and I watched as it was removed but there was maybe only a couple specs and might not have even been metal.

The dealer told me that even with the metal at 40k they can't replace the hpfp under warranty and this model '13 is not eligible for the extended hpfp warranty.

Now with VW taking their time to decide what to do about the emissions scandal recall I'm sitting on a possible catastrophic failure which won't be covered. I would preemptively replace the hpfp but I don't want to put money into a car that might be bought back (probably for another shafting) in a few months.

I've been the most loyal VW customer, owning 14 VW's starting in 1961 including 4 diesels. VW and I are Done!
I just did my own 60,000 last week. There was absolutely nothing in the filter or filter canister that I could find either.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
2micron has a kit to address this very issue:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375803
I only have 14K miles on mine - when I get to the end of the warranty, I will probably put in one of those things.

And I started using PowerService on this car in the hopes that it will prevent issues down the road. The damned misfueling thing makes this a nuisance.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
^ditto... mis-posted or not I needed to know this... Thanks Luke!
It's too bad they are willing to let loyal customers like you go so easily... You might be done with VW... but VW might be done period by the time the scope of the current scandal takes it's toll. :)
Hindsight is 20/20. VW's diesel drive looks misplaced in an era when gas engines are far more efficient than they were 10-15 years ago, more so if you hybridize the powertrain.

Can't help but think that VW dealers will leave the brand. At least around Boston, I think there are too many.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Even in Charlotte, there seems to be an over abundance of VW dealers. We now have four. The ones that survive will be those with ties to larger dealer franchises. The newest one is part of the Hendrick family dealerships. Lots of sales lots to help offset troubles.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

Even in Charlotte, there seems to be an over abundance of VW dealers. We now have four. The ones that survive will be those with ties to larger dealer franchises. The newest one is part of the Hendrick family dealerships. Lots of sales lots to help offset troubles.
The Hendrick dealership right by the race track is really big, nice, and shiny! :)

andyman7931

TDI
14 tiguan, 15 golf, 99 jetta/g3f
The Hendrick dealership right by the race track is really big, nice, and shiny! :)

Maybe that's why they tried to sell me the same car as Keffer for $4k more, gotta pay the large note on the fancy building. Don't get pulled in by the big shine, that makes no difference to the product they sell.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Hindsight is 20/20. VW's diesel drive looks misplaced in an era when gas engines are far more efficient than they were 10-15 years ago, more so if you hybridize the powertrain.
Can't help but think that VW dealers will leave the brand. At least around Boston, I think there are too many.
You make good points.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

Maybe that's why they tried to sell me the same car as Keffer for $4k more, gotta pay the large note on the fancy building. Don't get pulled in by the big shine, that makes no difference to the product they sell.
Holy fish paste batman! $4k more? They are pricing themselves out of business. Haven't drove by lately. Not sure how much business they have. With those prices, probably not much.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
When we bought any of our VWs we did not do a lot of cross shopping. Seems like we wanted the same thing everyone else did and at the same time. I have not used the Hendrick garage but since I live down by Lake Wylie, I see no reason to.

crxgator

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta BRM 5 speed
Leith in Cary is no different either. They don't really negotiate well either. I guess it costs money to keep their showroom stocked with aircooled vw's and have everyone wear tie-dye shirts and jeans.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today, 10:26 AM #
1043 WolfsburgGolfTDI

TDI(s):
MK VI Golf TDI

Having just purchased a 2013 Golf TDI back in August, these posts have me a bit worried. Luckily I got the car as a certified used but knowing how a PITA that VWoA can be about repair this has me a bit worried. I'm still in college and commute a lot between school, home, and work which pushed me to get the TDI more than a 2.5L Golf.
I wonder if the owners in Germany have these HPFP issues. Can't imagine diesel would be so popular if it had these many expensive problems with it. but I digress.
Plus, I'm sure with this whole TDI scandal going on that VW will have to make some kind of extended warranty to prevent them from losing even more customers.

I copied this from the HPFP failure thread. Hopefully WolfsburgGolfTDI will find it. He has a lot of reading to do, but to give a brief summary of answers to his questions:

VWoA has given an extended warranty on the hpfp of 120k miles or 10 years. Primary things are to make sure that you misfuel guard is in place and if you have issues make sure to take it to a dealer. Don't start repairs or VW may not honor the warranty.

Buy fuel at high turn over stations.

Fuel is the US is different than fuel in Europe and is believed to be a contributing factor to the failures.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
1043 WolfsburgGolfTDI

TDI(s):
MK VI Golf TDI

Having just purchased a 2013 Golf TDI back in August, these posts have me a bit worried. Luckily I got the car as a certified used but knowing how a PITA that VWoA can be about repair this has me a bit worried. I'm still in college and commute a lot between school, home, and work which pushed me to get the TDI more than a 2.5L Golf.
I wonder if the owners in Germany have these HPFP issues. Can't imagine diesel would be so popular if it had these many expensive problems with it. but I digress.
Plus, I'm sure with this whole TDI scandal going on that VW will have to make some kind of extended warranty to prevent them from losing even more customers.

I copied this from the HPFP failure thread. Hopefully WolfsburgGolfTDI will find it. He has a lot of reading to do, but to give a brief summary of answers to his questions:

VWoA has given an extended warranty on the hpfp of 120k miles or 10 years. Primary things are to make sure that you misfuel guard is in place and if you have issues make sure to take it to a dealer. Don't start repairs or VW may not honor the warranty.

Fuel is the US is different than fuel in Europe and is believed to be a contributing factor to the failures.
Sorry if this has been answered numerous times but I didn't see it scanning through the thread. Have the 2015 tdi's been given a different hpfp than the ones largely affected by this issue?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW/Bosch have reported making changes over the years but no one really knows what those changes were. The basic pump is the same.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
The hpfp issue is the only thing about this car I don't like. Really worries me because I would be really excited about tuning my car and even doing a dpf delete if not for the hpfp costing 7 grand. Anything else on the car I could probably afford to fix without the VW warrantee.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Really worries me because I would be really excited about tuning my car and even doing a dpf delete if not for the hpfp costing 7 grand. Anything else on the car I could probably afford to fix without the VW warrantee.
The reason the HPFP costs $7k is not the pump itself, but cleaning out/replacing other fuel system components that get contaminated/damaged by metal shards when (not if) it self-destructs. Have you heard about the 2Micron kit which traps the crap, so all you need to do is replace the pump and the filters from the kit? Have you heard about swapping in an older, more reliable (but slightly more expensive, so VW didn't use it) design of HPFP? If you're not going back to the stealership, one of those might be a viable option for you. Possibly the filter kit first (cheaper), with the pump upgrade when your current one fails (but you don't know where you'd be stranded when that happens). If you go for the upgraded pump off the bat, you probably don't need the filter kit.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
Yes I was checking out the 2micron kit earlier. Anyone know what a new hpfp cost assuming the rest of the fuel system isn't damaged like just the pump itself? It may seem silly to some but I'm trying to make an informed decision before deciding if I want to get into mods while under warrantee.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
But the duramax pump upgrade from 2micron

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Yes I was checking out the 2micron kit earlier. Anyone know what a new hpfp cost assuming the rest of the fuel system isn't damaged like just the pump itself? It may seem silly to some but I'm trying to make an informed decision before deciding if I want to get into mods while under warrantee.
If your HPFP blows up, the entire fuel system is borked. Everything including the tank has to be removed. If I remember, the injectors and lift pump have to be replaced too. Do some searching, you'll get your answers. Good news is, the majority of pumps don't blow up. Get your fuel from reputable stations and drive on.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm no expert, but I have been told that a new (not rebuilt) HPFP by itself can be had for anywhere between about $350-400 to about $900 depending on who you buy it from.

If your HPFP blows up, the entire fuel system is borked. Everything including the tank has to be removed. If I remember, the injectors and lift pump have to be replaced too.
This is true unless/until 2micron's fuel system modifications are installed (see my sig below). I have them installed on my car. If/when my HPFP self-destructs, all I will have to do is to replace the HPFP, 2 fuel filters, and a few feet of fuel lines. It should cost well under $1000 to fix (unless I add a timing belt replacement at the same time).

Have Fun!

Don

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
This makes me feel significantly better about going forth with mods. I'm not even doing anything that should render the hpfp in danger of blowing up I just don't want to get into repairs that cost a quarter of the purchase price of a new vehicle! When I am ready to tune and mod I will be starting with the 2micron kit.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just have to wait until this diesel issue blows over. Andrew is not selling anything right now.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Thanks Kjclow, I found it. I've read through a lot of pages over the past few days in this thread and the other thread. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
I havn't touched a thing on it outside of getting bright headlight bulbs. I've learned from experience the more I f*** with a car, the less reliable it will be in the long run.
Glad to be a part of this group!

1043WolfsburgGolfTDI

TDI(s): MK VI Golf TDI