NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Customer done maintenance is problematic in situations like this. You should have stopped immediately and put everything back the way it was. Then take it to the dealer requesting a FF change and ask to see the filter and have them check for metal due to HPFP issues in the NHTSA investigation and extended warranty documents. If they find it, it is hard to refute. When you do, it is easier to just blow you off.
Good advice but its also hard to argue with a filter full of metal particles. They could inspect the HPFP and say, if we find it ok, you pay for the inspection, if its galling or coming apart, we fix it.

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins
Customer done maintenance is problematic in situations like this. You should have stopped immediately and put everything back the way it was. Then take it to the dealer requesting a FF change and ask to see the filter and have them check for metal due to HPFP issues in the NHTSA investigation and extended warranty documents. If they find it, it is hard to refute. When you do, it is easier to just blow you off.
I stopped and took high resolution digital pictures, retained the particles on a clean white rag and retained the old filter.. that should be enough. I'll try to post a picture, but its not working on this computer, so I'll try another.

Now, if I did as you suggest, I'd have to either withhold knowledge, or lie, and I'm sure they'd be suspicious of my wanting to see the filter (which they could easily wipe clean if they wanted to), so it would be a real no win situation.. They did try to tell me it is possibly normal.. NO WAY, no metal in my truck with way more fuel burned and more time and twice the time and miles on the original filter, coming from the same fuel stations.. metal is NOT normal.. I don't think the dealer is the real issue though, they seemed to do an earnest effort to get VW to authorize a pump replacement, but they would not permit them to do so.. that is where I'm placing the majority of the blame.

So, I thought about it, how does the HPFP failures for VW compare to other Bosch pumps, I have a CP3 on my Cummins, and NHTSA has ZERO complaints for it, and 181 for VW.. that is called a CLUE. I'm quite sure not every person even knows to register the complaint with the NHTSA, so the problem is big. The dealer is playing dumb on the issue, claiming to have not seen it... then WHY did they replace the fuel filter every 10K when the service interval in the schedule is 20K? Clearly VW PAID for the excessive filter changes, and there must be a reason... they'd rather catch it early, as would make sense, but now they prefer to let it fail completely and leave the customer stranded or in an accident from sudden loss of power on the interstate.. this is insane.

I'm not going to be too nice when I go to pick up tomorrow, and may well seek to tour the facility and introduce myself to would be customers to inform them of the ways of VW.. This is not a "minor" flaw, it is HUGE, and it dates back to 2009, so there is no way the VW executives are unaware of this issue, they clearly just do not care...

MRO1791

TDI
Good advice but its also hard to argue with a filter full of metal particles. They could inspect the HPFP and say, if we find it ok, you pay for the inspection, if its galling or coming apart, we fix it.
Agree, but apparently it is VW policy that the customer is NOT to be trusted, the customer "care" person said as much in slightly different words.. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, I've been Nuclear Trained, and led a group of highly skilled technicians in condition based maintenance where we look at things like particulate, chemical analysis, and sound analysis of equipment to predict failure, and then preventively conduct maintenance to prevent failure, I'm quite capable of knowing what metal particles mean, and they should be able to do so as well, especially with the well documented high failure rates.. but clearly they'd rather I have a catastrophic failure.. well, when that happens, as much as I'm no fan of lawyers and lawsuits, I may well find a good lawyer to make them pay for their lack of concern for the customer. Sadly I know the process.. GM had to buy back a Lemon Pickup and pay the lawyers fees from a past unpleasant vehicle experience, GM also refused to do the right thing, until forced by the lawyer, which ended up costing them more than if they had just made it right knowing where it was headed... 7 attempts to solve a oil leak, where they even caused a new leak, and damaged other items in the process.. and with all the time in the shop that is called a clue.. but they also try to screw the customer, until legal action is in play, then their lawyers know to cut the losses.. but it should not have to go that far!!

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
MRO1791:

Being an ME, I figure you would be the last person to buy a CP4.1 after looking at the exploded diagram of the pump.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I stopped and took high resolution digital pictures, retained the particles on a clean white rag and retained the old filter.. that should be enough. I'll try to post a picture, but its not working on this computer, so I'll try another.

Now, if I did as you suggest, I'd have to either withhold knowledge, or lie, and I'm sure they'd be suspicious of my wanting to see the filter (which they could easily wipe clean if they wanted to), so it would be a real no win situation.. They did try to tell me it is possibly normal.. NO WAY, no metal in my truck with way more fuel burned and more time and twice the time and miles on the original filter, coming from the same fuel stations.. metal is NOT normal.. I don't think the dealer is the real issue though, they seemed to do an earnest effort to get VW to authorize a pump replacement, but they would not permit them to do so.. that is where I'm placing the majority of the blame.

So, I thought about it, how does the HPFP failures for VW compare to other Bosch pumps, I have a CP3 on my Cummins, and NHTSA has ZERO complaints for it, and 181 for VW.. that is called a CLUE. I'm quite sure not every person even knows to register the complaint with the NHTSA, so the problem is big. The dealer is playing dumb on the issue, claiming to have not seen it... then WHY did they replace the fuel filter every 10K when the service interval in the schedule is 20K? Clearly VW PAID for the excessive filter changes, and there must be a reason... they'd rather catch it early, as would make sense, but now they prefer to let it fail completely and leave the customer stranded or in an accident from sudden loss of power on the interstate.. this is insane.

I'm not going to be too nice when I go to pick up tomorrow, and may well seek to tour the facility and introduce myself to would be customers to inform them of the ways of VW.. This is not a "minor" flaw, it is HUGE, and it dates back to 2009, so there is no way the VW executives are unaware of this issue, they clearly just do not care...
There would be no reason to lie. Just ask for a fuel filter change. There is no reason to reveal any info you know that isn't asked for. Most everyone is aware of the NHTSA investigation and the issue and should have received the warranty extension paperwork. Asking them to check for metal particles and asking to see the filter would not be unusual, I did it myself on mine with no issues or raised eyebrows and they were happy to do it. I would agree they "should" cover it, but we have seen how they operate many times. Cleaning up the particles was a mistake also in my opinion. You should have left it as you found it regardless of the high rez pics you took. Just my opinion and it means nothing really. Now go deal with VW! I hope you get what you want out of the situation!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
MRO1791, there are a couple folks here on the forums that are working to put together a kit for replacing the cp4.1 pump with a CP3. Looks like a great way to cut out the worries on the stock pump.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
MRO1791, I hate to agree with VW on this issue, but you left them nothing to see for themselves. Pictures and dirty filter in a bag don't count since there if there is nothing left in the canister for them to see. Lightflyer is right in his comment that you should have put it all back together and taken it to the dealer. Today's service people (not just VW or automotive) are tasked with verify before testing and then trust. If the dealer's garage didn't see the metal, they can't really push to hard on VW to replace the hpfp.

I am in a customer support role for a major chemical company and we have to be the same way. If you want me to pay for faulty product, I have to prove that it was my product that caused the issue. If the customer has no way to track back to the failure, then I have nothing to support their claim.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I am in a customer support roll for a major chemical company and we have to be the same way. If you want me to pay for faulty product, I have to prove that it was my product that caused the issue. If the customer has no way to track back to the failure, then I have nothing to support their claim.
I used to do similar work for a paper machine fabric company. I would often prove that excessive machine vibration (which would require slowing down the machine and losing efficiency and $) was caused by uneven rolls, bad bearings, etc., but we were such whores at retaining or obtaining multi-million dollar accounts, we ended up paying anyway for "goodwill". Almost made my work redundant, but I enjoyed being jetted to Asia, South America, South Africa just the same :p

I would bet that if a major national fleet manager with a large fleet of TDIs called up VW customer service, he might grab their attention a lot more than some poor country bumpkin with his first TDI. Which is why, whenever I've run into major VW issues (so far only three times: balance shaft on Passat, HPFP on Golf, and rust on Passat), I reminded VW of how many VW's we own or have owned. We currently own 3 in our immediate family, and one of those is about to be traded, this very afternoon, for our 7th (albeit, not a TDI this time).

I must be a glutton for punishment, but dam, there's not much more in this price range/category that drives as nice and is as nicely finished as a Golf.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
......am not completely sure that a nuclear trained mechanical engineer has been linked (thru initial TDI ownership) to a bumpkin who resides somewhere within a rural area..................

....yes, it's an attempt at humor (but you never know............................

I had such a b**** of a time with differential calculus, strength of materials, heat transfer (physics et al) ...................plus my only nuclear experience was a day submerged on an attack (not a boomer) submarine................

Color me impressed.

ez sends

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
MRO1791,…If the dealer's garage didn't the metal, they can't really push to hard on VW to replace the hpfp.
Just what is "didn't the metal" supposed to mean?

[/QUOTE] I am in a customer support roll for a major chemical company and we have to be the same way. [/QUOTE]

Like on a roll shooting dice, a winning streak, or what? Could you possibly mean a customer support role?

Technical proficiency can be enhanced by familiarity with language, and obscured by the inverse.

MRO1791

TDI
The fix could be pretty easy, why won't Bosch/VW do it?

MRO1791:

Being an ME, I figure you would be the last person to buy a CP4.1 after looking at the exploded diagram of the pump.
Sadly, you are correct, but I did not know of the issue back then, I'd not buy one today knowing what I know. I actually think the fix is not too difficult, but VW is not apparently interested.

There needs to be 2 rollers on the piston side, so they always keep rolling directly along the cam, with only one roller in the design, the is NOTHING to limit rotation at the top and bottom of the cam cycle, so what is happening in my opinion.. they start to twist a bit, and that causes wear in the center of the roller, as the cam goes between top and bottom, forces straighten the roller, but it twists again each top or bottom cycle, likely from the spring force.. eventually there is enough center roller wear, that it rotates 90 degrees, and does not come back, and then fails really fast, and the metal goes all over the place.. 2micron had some failed part pictures, and this is clearly what happened there. Now, if there were 2 rollers vice one, there would always be at least one roller not at bottom or top cam at all times, thus never a chance to start a twist, and thus no premature failure.. seems a re design of the roller and its holder in the bottom of the piston to take 2 rollers would not be too hard.. maybe I'll try it after I put in a CP3 pump.. I just do NOT trust this car now, and I can't have my wife in a car that can fail suddenly without warning.

Last edited:

MRO1791

TDI
MRO1791, there are a couple folks here on the forums that are working to put together a kit for replacing the cp4.1 pump with a CP3. Looks like a great way to cut out the worries on the stock pump.
Yes, in touch with Andrew (2micron), plan to do exactly that, but it is still so sad, VW won't make a flawed design right, and are literally screwing the customer with a very likely massive repair bill just outside of 120K if they make it that far.

MRO1791

TDI
Vw knows the design is flawed!!

MRO1791, I hate to agree with VW on this issue, but you left them nothing to see for themselves. Pictures and dirty filter in a bag don't count since there if there is nothing left in the canister for them to see. Lightflyer is right in his comment that you should have put it all back together and taken it to the dealer. Today's service people (not just VW or automotive) are tasked with verify before testing and then trust. If the dealer's garage didn't the metal, they can't really push to hard on VW to replace the hpfp.

I am in a customer support roll for a major chemical company and we have to be the same way. If you want me to pay for faulty product, I have to prove that it was my product that caused the issue. If the customer has no way to track back to the failure, then I have nothing to support their claim.
I think you missed my point. I wanted to do VW a FAVOR.. knowing the HPFP have high failure rates, and NOT all due to improper fueling, many diesel gearheads who do meticulous maintenance, and add lubricity additives are still seeing failures... so the CP4 on the VWs is the problem. for comparison, the CP3 on my dodge, per the NHTSA site has ZERO complaints when I searched, VW had 181, an you can be sure not all complaints make it to that site, how long is they thread. VW knows it is a ticking time bomb, that in most cases will go past 120K, or 10 years, and they wash their hands leaving the customer with a potentially devastating repair bill, or stranded with little or NO notice prior to a failure.. the metal I found was not a massive amount, but clearly metal from wear, my Truck with 30k had some sediment on the filter, but NO METAL. Metal is not normal, and should not be there. I provided clear evidence of metal found in the fuel system.

So what it boils down to, is VW corporate is content with me running a car until catastrophic failure and breakdown, where I and my family are at risk, and the repairs are much more expensive and complex, vice taking up the initial signs of impending failure and replacing the pump now, that might get another 45K without too much risk.. frankly they do not care about the risk to me or my family, only want to save a buck, hoping it goes to 10years/ 120K where they can say.. it is on you now.. I'm DISGUSTED with them over this. We all should be.

I also compared fuel system complaints in the other two vehicles I own, just to see how VW compared.. the 1996 Saturn had 1 complaint for 1996-2000, the Land Rover D2 had 15 complaints from 1999-2004. VW had 181!! that is called a CLUE.

As an engineer that deals with poor designs and the consequences of such about every day, I know one when I see it. What I'd expect VW to do is own up to it, and ENGINEER a fix, I offered one (two vice one cam roller) in an earlier post.. I don't want to bash VW, I otherwise love the car, but their concern for the customer SUCKS.. and to be fair, I've had similar from GM and Chrysler in the past, so apparently an epidemic in the auto industry, the only car where I can say service and customer care where excellent was the Saturn, sadly a company/brand no more..

Now, I think the dealer did try to get permission to replace the pump from the evidence I provided, it was VW that said NO.. The dealer was replacing the filter at 10K for some reason, but was surprised when I pointed that out, then said it must have been an error. They told me they've not seen a failure.. initially, but I have reason to believe that is not really honest, the Tech, who I did talk to, said he came from CA, and there did 5-6 failed pumps a week! He incorrectly said it was due to poor CA fuel, but the fuel is a national standard.. the fuel certainly can make the situation worse, and accelerate failure, but the design is not good.. why don't the CP3 in the many vehicles in CA fail often.. this is a clear DESIGN issue. When I told the cashier my disgust at the nearly $120 fee to look at the car, she ADMITTED she'd heard that ALOT lately.. VW is going to SCREW THEMSELVES on this if they don't make it right.

Last edited:

MRO1791

TDI
There would be no reason to lie. Just ask for a fuel filter change. There is no reason to reveal any info you know that isn't asked for. Most everyone is aware of the NHTSA investigation and the issue and should have received the warranty extension paperwork. Asking them to check for metal particles and asking to see the filter would not be unusual, I did it myself on mine with no issues or raised eyebrows and they were happy to do it. I would agree they "should" cover it, but we have seen how they operate many times.
You may be correct, but for the help of the next guy, the tech said that even metal in the filter alone would not convince VW to let them replace the pump on warranty.. they pull the metering valve, from the top of the pump and look inside for metal particles.. if they see none, they won't replace the pump.. This is FOOLISH. If there is metal there, the system, injectors, tank, both fuel pumps, everything is now at risk, and the pump is failed big time, likely after a breakdown.. so basically I'm to drive it and wait until that day, then if before 120K/10years, they will replace all the components at much more cost, but I suffer the risk of sudden failure.. frankly they'd be wise to early replace at the first sign of metal in the fuel system knowing what the collateral damage could be.. but they are not wise it seems!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
VW is going to SCREW THEMSELVES on this if they don't make it right.
Sadly, it won't affect them one bit. Many have posted up that they've traded in and buy ANOTHER newer VW to replace the fubared one. Yep, VW is sure sore about that, :rolleyes:

Ford is just as bad with their truck V6 turbo engines, one guy had 3 put in, finally had enough, Ford wouldn't buy back the $60K truck with 20,000 km's. Plenty of story's about crappy makers. I've heard good things about Porsche and BMW makers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You may be correct, but for the help of the next guy, the tech said that even metal in the filter alone would not convince VW to let them replace the pump on warranty.. they pull the metering valve, from the top of the pump and look inside for metal particles.. if they see none, they won't replace the pump.. This is FOOLISH. If there is metal there, the system, injectors, tank, both fuel pumps, everything is now at risk, and the pump is failed big time, likely after a breakdown.. so basically I'm to drive it and wait until that day, then if before 120K/10years, they will replace all the components at much more cost, but I suffer the risk of sudden failure.. frankly they'd be wise to early replace at the first sign of metal in the fuel system knowing what the collateral damage could be.. but they are not wise it seems!
Save your breath there is already a huge thread on this over the last 4 to 6 years and the NHTSA investigation over the last 3 or 4 years which basically found nothing. They started off blaming their customer for using bad fuel. Then played it safe by fixing them while under investigation. Now fight to try and get it covered. 2micron here developed a filter system to limit the damage to the HPFP and filters as well as a new different HPFP. VW is already on to the newer cars and we are left where we are. They know exactly what is going on and choose to handle issues on a case by case basis and move on.

Last edited:

MRO1791

TDI
Concur, VW Executives have decided to wish away the problem, thinking it won't hurt.

Sadly, it won't affect them one bit. Many have posted up that they've traded in and buy ANOTHER newer VW to replace the fubared one. Yep, VW is sure sore about that, :rolleyes:
QUOTE]

I'm quite sure they are banking on precisely that.. however, once US automakers did same, when the Imports started to destroy them, they had to learn from mistakes... sadly it has to get bad first. VW was pushing an aggressive NA marketing strategy to gain market share, I don't see how this can help.. knowing what I know now, I can't recommend one... not because of the specific issue itself, but because of how they are handling it. If they fixed the design, and replaced pumps at the first hint of impending failure (metal in the filter), I could then eagerly recommend their cars without reservation.. design flaws happen, but being unwilling to fix them is the issue here. The warranty extension is not really a proper fix, as they still let the massive failure happen before they do anything and I don't think the picked 120K/10 years at random, they know many pumps will make it just past that point, some less.. but once past the extension, they will let the customer handle the massive cost.. we've seen it in these forums.

In contrast, even FCA (Fiat Chrysler) is doing better at offering to make things right on issue for their trucks, I have one that is under the supposed buyback offer, but I like the truck, and in that case the issues are really not as much design issues, as people altering their trucks, and with wear on steering parts leading to "death wobble" in the steering.. Mine, with proper maintenance, and no alterations is rock solid, no issues.. and they replaced parts that I'm pretty sure where completely OK, on recalls that I doubt were really needed..

Now, going back to 1999, I had a 1997 Dodge truck that was a lemon that they would not care to properly fix.. long story, but the only reason I went Dodge again was for the Cummins engine, and manual transmission, in 2009 only Dodge and Ford had diesel with manual transmission, and the Ford had an odd engine set for only 3 years of production.. and has turned out very badly... The Dodge truck has been good overall.

While it is likely true some diehards will endure any crappy design of their preferred car company, there are likely far more who do not have brand loyalty and will go elsewhere, this can't help the marketing strategy to gain market share. I might be willing consider a used VW still, and make the required fixes, but they are proving that the warranty coverage is not really all that valuable. They can't gain market share if people won't buy their new cars.. there are some on this forum who have gotten rid of their TDI and are waiting for a proper fix before they will buy another, so it is hard to quantify how this ends up affecting VW.. but it can't be good.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
I just do NOT trust this car now, and I can't have my wife in a car that can fail suddenly without warning.
fwiw I think the one failure with the 2micron kit in place was a more gradual ordeal... anecdotal but hopeful that a sudden stall might be less likely...

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MRO1791 said:
I'm quite sure they are banking on precisely that.. however, once US automakers did same, when the Imports started to destroy them, they had to learn from mistakes... sadly it has to get bad first. VW was pushing an aggressive NA marketing strategy to gain market share, I don't see how this can help.. knowing what I know now, I can't recommend one... not because of the specific issue itself, but because of how they are handling it.
I think VW has too much of strangle hold for this to affect them. I know many have posted up they hated buying another one but simply couldn't find anything comparable in the other brands.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just what is "didn't the metal" supposed to mean?
I am in a customer support roll for a major chemical company and we have to be the same way. [/QUOTE]

Like on a roll shooting dice, a winning streak, or what? Could you possibly mean a customer support role?

Technical proficiency can be enhanced by familiarity with language, and obscured by the inverse.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean . . . I saw that and thought 'potato or wheat?'

- Tim
Just a bit judgmental aren't we? How often do either of you go back and proofread your posts to make sure there are no errors?

I think he neglected to put "see" in there. :)
At least mr_y82 was able to understand my intent.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I think you missed my point. I wanted to do VW a FAVOR.. knowing the HPFP have high failure rates, and NOT all due to improper fueling, many diesel gearheads who do meticulous maintenance, and add lubricity additives are still seeing failures... so the CP4 on the VWs is the problem. for comparison, the CP3 on my dodge, per the NHTSA site has ZERO complaints when I searched, VW had 181, an you can be sure not all complaints make it to that site, how long is they thread. VW knows it is a ticking time bomb, that in most cases will go past 120K, or 10 years, and they wash their hands leaving the customer with a potentially devastating repair bill, or stranded with little or NO notice prior to a failure.. the metal I found was not a massive amount, but clearly metal from wear, my Truck with 30k had some sediment on the filter, but NO METAL. Metal is not normal, and should not be there. I provided clear evidence of metal found in the fuel system.

So what it boils down to, is VW corporate is content with me running a car until catastrophic failure and breakdown, where I and my family are at risk, and the repairs are much more expensive and complex, vice taking up the initial signs of impending failure and replacing the pump now, that might get another 45K without too much risk.. frankly they do not care about the risk to me or my family, only want to save a buck, hoping it goes to 10years/ 120K where they can say.. it is on you now.. I'm DISGUSTED with them over this. We all should be.

I also compared fuel system complaints in the other two vehicles I own, just to see how VW compared.. the 1996 Saturn had 1 complaint for 1996-2000, the Land Rover D2 had 15 complaints from 1999-2004. VW had 181!! that is called a CLUE.

As an engineer that deals with poor designs and the consequences of such about every day, I know one when I see it. What I'd expect VW to do is own up to it, and ENGINEER a fix, I offered one (two vice one cam roller) in an earlier post.. I don't want to bash VW, I otherwise love the car, but their concern for the customer SUCKS.. and to be fair, I've had similar from GM and Chrysler in the past, so apparently an epidemic in the auto industry, the only car where I can say service and customer care where excellent was the Saturn, sadly a company/brand no more..

Now, I think the dealer did try to get permission to replace the pump from the evidence I provided, it was VW that said NO.. The dealer was replacing the filter at 10K for some reason, but was surprised when I pointed that out, then said it must have been an error. They told me they've not seen a failure.. initially, but I have reason to believe that is not really honest, the Tech, who I did talk to, said he came from CA, and there did 5-6 failed pumps a week! He incorrectly said it was due to poor CA fuel, but the fuel is a national standard.. the fuel certainly can make the situation worse, and accelerate failure, but the design is not good.. why don't the CP3 in the many vehicles in CA fail often.. this is a clear DESIGN issue. When I told the cashier my disgust at the nearly $120 fee to look at the car, she ADMITTED she'd heard that ALOT lately.. VW is going to SCREW THEMSELVES on this if they don't make it right.
I think the pump is designed and built by Bosch, not VW. Ask Bosch.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I am in a customer support roll for a major chemical company and we have to be the same way.

Technical proficiency can be enhanced by familiarity with language, and obscured by the inverse.
Just a bit judgmental aren't we? How often do either of you go back and proofread your posts to make sure there are no errors?

At least mr_y82 was able to understand my intent.
How often do I proofread? Every single time, and even then if I miss something, I will immediately correct it as soon as noticed or brought to my attention. No, that doesn't make me perfect, but then again, I am talking about typos, not repetedly selecting the wrong word, which should have been taught by 4th grade or so. It's a matter of pride, and credibility . . . I don't expect to be taken seriously if I can't speak or write my mother tongue . . . and I don't expect others to translate for my incompetence, that's just absurd!

I fully believe that one of the largest problems facing this country (the US, as well as a lot of the world) is that mediocrity and laziness have become 'acceptable' to a lot of folks, and they just don't try any longer, and that is one of the reasons that we are getting our butts kicked by other nations . . . The problem starts with us and the overall dumbing down of America, and I refuse to be a part of it!

- Tim

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the pump is designed and built by Bosch, not VW. Ask Bosch.
Correct but so what? VW chose to use it, its VW's responsibility to go after Bosch or provide warranty for that crappy part.

How often do I proofread? Every single time, and even then if I miss something, I will immediately correct it as soon as noticed or brought to my attention. No, that doesn't make me perfect, but then again, I am talking about typos, not repetedly selecting the wrong word, which should have been taught by 4th grade or so. It's a matter of pride, and credibility . . . I don't expect to be taken seriously if I can't speak or write my mother tongue . . . and I don't expect others to translate for my incompetence, that's just absurd!

I fully believe that one of the largest problems facing this country (the US, as well as a lot of the world) is that mediocrity and laziness have become 'acceptable' to a lot of folks, and they just don't try any longer, and that is one of the reasons that we are getting our butts kicked by other nations . . . The problem starts with us and the overall dumbing down of America, and I refuse to be a part of it!

- Tim
Agred. I ain't no engrish mjor. :D

And with texting the norm now, people write and talk like that too, :(

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
It's called Stockholm Syndrome. Not me, I've gone over to Toyota. Zero problems so far. Too many problems with my TDI (but not HPFP).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It's called Stockholm Syndrome. Not me, I've gone over to Toyota. Zero problems so far. Too many problems with my TDI (but not HPFP).
I'm not a fan of Toyota. Too much of a vanilla car. Great point a to b car. But they lack the fun factor that adds joy to driving. Mazda has been my go to brand for anyone who asks me what should I buy that's reliable. They actually beat Toyota. And are a blast to drive.

If I had to jump ship from vw to any other car brand I'd consider a used BMW. Nothing else fits me. Every Japanese car I've tried is too small for me. Either my lelegs font have enough room, head hits the ceiling, steering wheel doesn't telescope oror a combo of the above.

That was the major draw for the golf I bought. Abundant head, leg and steering wheel fit for me.

Being tall has its good sides and bad. When it comes to cars German cars fit me best. VW happens to make the best for the money from Europe. Similar equipped bmw 328d wagon would be prohibitively expensive (and no manual transmission options for the bmw diesels).

If I had to dump the tdi I'd consider a GTI for reasons listed above.