NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not saying that the adapter may not be needed but in almost 13 years, I've only had to use the bigger nozzle once. I pumped slowly and only filled about half a tank.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Not saying that the adapter may not be needed but in almost 13 years, I've only had to use the bigger nozzle once. I pumped slowly and only filled about half a tank.
I believe you actually need the adapter to go past the gasoline nozzle blocker on my 335d and slow pumping wouldn't really be a good idea.

TM

STEye

TDI
08 STI / 12 Impreza
Has there been any reportings of HPFP issues for the 2013 models?

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Will Mayans buy TDIs now?

STEye: > Has there been any reportings of HPFP issues for the 2013 models?

The latest VW data on NHTSA had a cutoff date of 2012-10-05, which might be too early in MY13 to tell.

The logging thread here doesn't have any, but this site seems to have lost some traffic for 12-15 to 12-19 or so.

TDIs were off the US market during the ULSD transition. The fact that TDIs are still on the US market, despite over 3 years of on-going failures, tells me that VW thinks they can get this problem under control.

"Under control" doesn't necessarily mean "fixed". The former TDI value proposition may be permanently devalued. These may no longer be reliable machines that run forever if they receive reasonable maintenance, speaking as an ALH owner at 278,000 miles.

People will buy lottery tickets with 50000000:1 odds, and expect to win. Buying a CR TDI is taking on what may be 50:1 odds, and expecting not to lose, big.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Has there been any reportings of HPFP issues for the 2013 models?
No current reports but the basic design hasn't changed. One thing to check on your 2013 is where the HPFP is made. If its Czech made you have the best known version.

Checked our 2012 Golf TDI and it was still has the German pump.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It's funny to read VW's statement about BioDiesel regarding the HPFP in their latest submission to the NHTSA:

Biodiesel itself does not damage the HPFP, however, collapsed/deteriorated/aged biodiesel can cause deposits inside the HPFP and clog filters, interrupting the lubrication and leading to failure.

vacman1

TDI
'00 M5
Working on a tdi purchase right now. Given the issues with the fuel pump reported I have pretty much abandoned my usual method of purchase, which is to find a cpo and let the PO eat the depreciation. In this case questionable fueling habits and a potential proactive fix by vw on the 13s has me leaning towards new.

Right now I can buy one for $1k below invoice without breaking a sweat while cpo cars seem to be holding their value here in SoCal. Am i crazy for even considering one? I can find mkiv diesels for 8-10k or so but prefer the newer car.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Working on a tdi purchase right now. Given the issues with the fuel pump reported I have pretty much abandoned my usual method of purchase, which is to find a cpo and let the PO eat the depreciation. In this case questionable fueling habits and a potential proactive fix by vw on the 13s has me leaning towards new.

Right now I can buy one for $1k below invoice without breaking a sweat while cpo cars seem to be holding their value here in SoCal. Am i crazy for even considering one? I can find mkiv diesels for 8-10k or so but prefer the newer car.

CPO should include a good warranty, MKV are better cars besides the pump.

vacman1

TDI
'00 M5
CPO should include a good warranty, MKV are better cars besides the pump.
True, but the thought that the po wasn't diligent with refueling makes me cringe. For the 2-3k difference its worth buying a '13 and knowing what has gone into the tank since day 1.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
True, but the thought that the po wasn't diligent with refueling makes me cringe. For the 2-3k difference its worth buying a '13 and knowing what has gone into the tank since day 1.

Sounds like a good plan, any reason you don't consider a Passat? They have the best CR pump for now and get better FE.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan

Yea, but then your stuck with MK6 quality (or lack there of).

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Yea, but then your stuck with MK6 quality (or lack there of).

bla bla bla stuck????????????????? Hundreds of thoudands of owners have no quality issues. relax and go for a drive. 60,000kms and NOT ONE single issue. Better than most jap cars.....

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, stuck...as most people are once they purchase a new car. Stuck isn't a bad word.

In case you haven't heard, the MK6 Jettas have had quite a few quality control issues.

vacman1

TDI
'00 M5
Sounds like a good plan, any reason you don't consider a Passat? They have the best CR pump for now and get better FE.
I realize i didn't say which tdi. I'm actually looking a a golf. Jetta doesn't really do it for me and the passat is too big for what i want out for. I already have a 5 series for a larger car.

Yes, stuck...as most people are once they purchase a new car. Stuck isn't a bad word.

In case you haven't heard, the MK6 Jettas have had quite a few quality control issues.
I haven't heard the same about the golf, but admittedly I'm only a few weeks into research. Most of what I've read says the newest jetta is a big step backwards, but you know how opinions are.

I agree regarding a new car...I'm very sketchy about buying a new one, but the fuel pump issues are enough to make the extra 3k worth it to me. I will keep a fuel log for work anyway, so having a receipt for every fill-up will go a long way towards a warranty claim if something catastrophic were to happen.

Thanks for all the opinions.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
Nah, the Golf didn't suffer the same fate. If I was in your shoes, I would buy new if it was the Golf I was going for.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
vacman1,

I prefered the Golf styling over the Jetta. When VWoA decided to put the TDI engine into the 2010 Golf I ordered mine. Also, the Golf is built in Germany over the Mexican built jetta. VWoA decided to bring the golf with a little better interior than the Jetta. Have been really happy with mine! I paid MSRP since I ordered mine a la carte from a dealer in NJ. Can't order them a la carte any longer.

I've looked at the new Passats...like you, a little bigger than what I need/want. By the way, I get my Golf serviced at Murrieta VW where you live. Good service department.

Bob

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Might want to also consider the Sportswagen. Similar interior to the Golf but another 18 inches behind the rear doors.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
I was having service done today at Cutrubus VW in Layton, UT: I asked if they had done any HPFP's. "A few" was the answer from the Service writer. When I said I hoped they would do something more definitive than just fixing them as they occur, this Service guy pointed to the lot, where they have maybe 15 or more of these TDI's sitting, and said, "They are going to have to do something. There are too many of these cars already on the road to just ignore it, plus, look at all the ones we are about to sell."

It's just one Service writer's opinion, which matches so many of our opinions, but, at least he didn't deny that they had done any. One of my buddies with a TDI reported the Service writer at a Salt Lake City dealership named "Southtown", denied ever hearing about an HPFP problem.

vacman1

TDI
'00 M5
I was having service done today at Cutrubus VW in Layton, UT: I asked if they had done any HPFP's. "A few" was the answer from the Service writer. When I said I hoped they would do something more definitive than just fixing them as they occur, this Service guy pointed to the lot, where they have maybe 15 or more of these TDI's sitting, and said, "They are going to have to do something. There are too many of these cars already on the road to just ignore it, plus, look at all the ones we are about to sell."

It's just one Service writer's opinion, which matches so many of our opinions, but, at least he didn't deny that they had done any. One of my buddies with a TDI reported the Service writer at a Salt Lake City dealership named "Southtown", denied ever hearing about an HPFP problem.
Fwiw when I was test driving in Murrieta the salesman said he had heard of a few but they were all caused by contamination. He also said he told his customers not to use additives but knows that some still swear by them. He didn't imply there was any issue with using them, but then again, he's in sales, not warranty claims. :)

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
I was having service done today at Cutrubus VW in Layton, UT: I asked if they had done any HPFP's. "A few" was the answer from the Service writer. ... One of my buddies with a TDI reported the Service writer at a Salt Lake City dealership named "Southtown", denied ever hearing about an HPFP problem.
LOL, at least one honest SW. The VW warranty spreadsheet shows that South Towne has done 9 and Cutrubus 8. I guess the South Towne SW was out of the office each of the 2 weeks the 9 were in for repair.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
vacman1,

I prefered the Golf styling over the Jetta. When VWoA decided to put the TDI engine into the 2010 Golf I ordered mine. Also, the Golf is built in Germany over the Mexican built jetta. VWoA decided to bring the golf with a little better interior than the Jetta. Have been really happy with mine! I paid MSRP since I ordered mine a la carte from a dealer in NJ. Can't order them a la carte any longer.

I've looked at the new Passats...like you, a little bigger than what I need/want. By the way, I get my Golf serviced at Murrieta VW where you live. Good service department.

Bob
The new Jetta is not mexican built, its made in the US along with the new passat. The older mexican Jettas were every bit as good as the german made golfs because they were on the same platform. The new ones are not.

The real deal breaker for me on the new MKVI Jetta is the fact it has those trunk hinges that crush everything instead of the hidden ones like my MKIV has. Our cavalier has those hinges and I can't tell you how much stuff got crushed in the trunk because of those stupid POS hinges.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
The new Jetta is not mexican built, its made in the US along with the new passat. The older mexican Jettas were every bit as good as the german made golfs because they were on the same platform. The new ones are not.

The real deal breaker for me on the new MKVI Jetta is the fact it has those trunk hinges that crush everything instead of the hidden ones like my MKIV has. Our cavalier has those hinges and I can't tell you how much stuff got crushed in the trunk because of those stupid POS hinges.
Thanks, I should have been more exact in my original post. When I ordered my Golf in 2009, the Jetta was still being built in Mexico as the Tennesse plant was not in operation.

I never cared for those type hinges, either.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The only thing coming out of Chattanooga is the Passat. Check the VIN. Jetta and Sportswagen both start with a 3 for Mexico. Passat starts with a 1 for US. Golf starts with a W for Wolfsburg. Ok, not really for Wolfsburg, but it does seem fitting.

This is supposed to change with the new platform. Golfs will then start coming from Mexico. From the demand for the new Passat, I don't see anything else coming out of Chattanooga until they build the second plant.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Nope, the 2011+ Jetta is made in Mexico. The Passat is the only thing being made in Chattanooga right now.

Edit: And I was beat to it. The W is one of the codes for Europe, actually.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I have asked this before but does anyone know if the 2013 Mk6 models are shipping with the Czech pump?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Hrm, you're right, with a caveat, that it's based on the company headquarters, which is why Touaregs can be made in Slovakia (U5-U7) and 1997 US-spec Passats can be made in Belgium (YA-YE), and still have W VINs.

(Also, Germany also has the SN-ST space, which they got from reunification, it was formerly East Germany's.)