NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Here is a reply from a tank driver here in Ontario about carrying RUG and diesel in the same tanker between loads.
In switch loading even if there is RUG in the tanker, you still need an ignition source. Static discharge of mixing and flowing fuel is a well known phenomenon. Lowering the initial flow rate of ULSD into the tanker limits the build up of voltage potential as the ULSD is pumped in. My guess is most terminal operations have detection devices to keep the potential builup of the flowing ULSD below the threshold of static discharge by adjusting flow rate.

Since the tanker driver may take some short cuts and not adequately remove all gas before loading ULSD, there should be adequate safety devices to prevent static discharge. If driver is getting paid by the load, it wouldn't surprise me if some wouldn't simply skip the step of draining gas that has settled to the bottom of the tanker from the sidewalls and other areas of the tanker prior to filling with ULSD.

I don't know how much gas might be in an "empty" tanker, but 30 gallons of gas in a 3,000 gallon compartment or 100 gallons in a 10,000 gallon tanker is 1% mixture. So, how does that affect lubricity of the retail fuel?

According to Chevron:

One percent or less of gasoline will lower the flash point of a gasoline/diesel fuel blend below the specification minimum for diesel fuel. This will not affect the fuel’s engine performance, but it will make the fuel more hazardous to handle. Larger amounts of gasoline will lower the viscosity and/or cetane number of the blend below the specification minimums for diesel fuel. These changes can degrade combustion and increase wear.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I may be wrong & you certainly are likely to know better than I....but....when I ran a filling station (a million years ago) the tankers were 3 compartments w/ 3,000+ gallons each (just under 10K total). If you needed more than of a specific grade they just used more than one tank. Never had the same truck deliver diesel & gas - always separate. Mistakes happen but by & large they were pretty careful about mixing (even fuel grades). Aren't most tanks still color coded (the lids in the station area are painted)?
I worked on projects in two Chevron terminals and three Murphy terminals within the last few years. All five had third party lubricity additive systems and tank trucks had separate compartments for D2 & gasoline. I can't speculate on how the service stations handle incoming product with respect to contamination safeguards.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
So it seems that there exist both types of tankers....separate compartment versions and single compartment versions. It appears that in switch loading single compartment tankers there is a slightly increased possibility of trace contamination when changing loads. However, even with clean fuel in either version, dropping fuel into the wrong tanks at the station could happen with either. In the past, this would have only had the impact of vehicles, both gas and diesel versions, running poorly if they recieved cross-contaminated fuel, but not likely to damage them. But nowdays, of course, different story. I am inclined to believe that tank drop errors at the stations are the cause of way more misfueling than we might believe.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
This^^

Diesel's dirty little secret is the non-existent controls on the fuel distribution side. The best diesel on the planet can be ruined by one inattentive truck driver.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
when i were in Italy this summer i stopped to refuel my mother in law Rav4 Diesel.
The attendant at the station came to me and said that i had to wait another hour before refueling from his station, because he just had a truck dumping diesel in the tank and therefore i needed to wait. He said it was a standard procedure. I guess he was afraid of possible debrief that were sitting at the bottom of the tank.

RdPrry

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
There is so much absolute BS about the HPFP on this forum to border on insane. Do they happen? Sure they do.

But keep in mind that in almost every test of a TDI against any other model of VW the TDI wins hands down. I've yet to find a single magazine tester raise the issue of HPFP failures both here and overseas. Remember you have a very closed audience here. The NHTSA is investigating the HPFP issue. Been going on for well over a year while almost every other investigation has come and gone. They still have not issued a ruling and the longer it goes I believe the whole mess will be set aside and the world will move on.

Those who have had a failure in the past few months have had they car repaired free of charge (according to my dealer) with some of them having close to 100,000 miles.

Lots of opinions here with damn few facts.

Like the car? Buy it. I've never been happier with my TDI. I have a 2006 Lexus IS250 and it sits in the garage having only 33,000 miles while my 2010 TDI just whizzed past 40,000 miles last week. You do the math.

Seasons' greetings to all.
I'm glad you like your car, but I feel that you are driving on borrowed time. The question is not if you will have a failure but when.

I really like my TDI and have not had any problems except the HPFP, and it has happened twice to me in 238,000 miles. I am fixing it myself this time because VW will not cover it. If I had to pay both times that would be about $13,000 dollars in two repairs. That is an outragious cost in repairs.
40,000 miles is not a lot of miles I do that in 7 months.

RdPrry

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
Right I know that but I am trying to point out in the end the Botch CP4.1 pump is a POS.

As a side note, I would absolutely love to get my hands on a failed CP4.1 to see what actually happens and figure out if maybe the pump can be modified to be stronger(ie steel sleeve).

Anybody have a failed HPFP they want to send my way? I'll pay you for shipping and time...
I may have one in a week or two.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
There is so much absolute BS about the HPFP on this forum to border on insane. Do they happen? Sure they do.

But keep in mind that in almost every test of a TDI against any other model of VW the TDI wins hands down. I've yet to find a single magazine tester raise the issue of HPFP failures both here and overseas. Remember you have a very closed audience here. The NHTSA is investigating the HPFP issue. Been going on for well over a year while almost every other investigation has come and gone. They still have not issued a ruling and the longer it goes I believe the whole mess will be set aside and the world will move on.

Those who have had a failure in the past few months have had they car repaired free of charge (according to my dealer) with some of them having close to 100,000 miles.

Lots of opinions here with damn few facts.

Like the car? Buy it. I've never been happier with my TDI. I have a 2006 Lexus IS250 and it sits in the garage having only 33,000 miles while my 2010 TDI just whizzed past 40,000 miles last week. You do the math.

Seasons' greetings to all.
Fact: My HPFP failed. Fact: My car was in dealer to fix it four times for a total of 45 days in July thru October 2012. Fact: VoA denied me replacement of new fuel system when they first diagnosed my HPFP (with metal shard in filter too) preferring to only replace the pump at the initial failure, then only the fuel pump in the tank on third visit. On my car's fourth visit they only approved replacing the fuel rail. When the dealer took it out to test drive...the fuel rail failed. That finally prompted them to approve replacement the whole contaminated fuel system (which should have been done on day one of my HPFP failure). Fact: A very stressful and frustrating experience, especially worring about the safety issue and dealing with VoA customer 'uncaring' advocate.

Hope it doesn't happen to you GTIdan.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
How do they know if FUEL CONTAMINATION has been an issue?

Have they pumped out every fuel tank from the victim cars and documented that there is indeed gasoline in the fuel tank?

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
Well yes kind of. They did test over 800 cars fuel. Plus they used to do the infamous Styrofoam cup test. ;)
So they found gasoline contamination in 800 cars.

I wonder if the rest of the TDi universe (cars which have never had HPFP failure) have been tested for gasoline fuel contamination, and come out clean.

It may be that ALL diesel pumping stations have been contaminated one time or another, and only the cars with the failing HPFP have been tested.

My brother is a truck driver, and he told me horror stories a couple of years ago when the low sulfur diesel was brought to market. Back then, the problem reported was 'ALGAE' contamination (a thick goo that looked like algae, but was probably some paraffin precipitate).

Come to think of it, my former Beetle TDi 2000 fuel sender in the tank failed at that time.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
No, they tested more than 800 fuel samples; of those iirc ~25% were contaminated; but many more were also out of spec.

The specifics are right here in the recent additions.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Guess which dealer has done the most Warranty Repairs?

Open the multimedia file to see more.:D

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Probably because there are more sold there than anyone else. 32K sold in California....next highest is Texas at 16K.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
Makes sense, but I wonder if there is an Airhead factor here...