NHTSA recalls Bosch CP4 in FCA vehicles

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I know we unsuccessfully went through this back in 2012 but wonder if we as continued owners of effected VWAG diesels, if we should push NHTSA to reopen the investigation? This covers the Ram 1500 and Jeeps using the 3 l ecodiesel. There is an additional recall on the heavy duties that replaces the CP4 with a CP3.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Wow, the recall replaces it with a CP3! Very interesting Bosch hasn't quite addressed the issues seen with the CP4 with some cheap filter kit. All in the name of higher injection pressures to reduce emissions.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Wow, the recall replaces it with a CP3! Very interesting Bosch hasn't quite addressed the issues seen with the CP4 with some cheap filter kit. All in the name of higher injection pressures to reduce emissions.
I think the introduction of the CP4 had MUCH more to do with shaving dollars off of the cost of an expensive part for the manufacturers. Not worth it.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It isn't the CP3 in the HD trucks its a CP4.2 like the Denso unit GM uses. I know, I was the first in the region to have my truck done.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Both the CP3 and less durable CP4 series pumps are made by Bosch, not Denso. I wasn't aware that GM uses Denso hpfp's in any of their diesel trucks.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
They are replacing the CP4x in the heavy duty trucks with the CP3x. Not sure what the cure is for the 1500s yet.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I wouldn't hold your breath about Bosch doing anything else, diesels are now written off by VW for passenger cars and SUVs,which is a shame. We all got checks from Bosch for their errors of the past case closed I think.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I wouldn't hold your breath about Bosch doing anything else, diesels are now written off by VW for passenger cars and SUVs,which is a shame. We all got checks from Bosch for their errors of the past case closed I think.
Granted, I have no knowledge about any of the machinations of vehicle markets etc, but if our present fuel / oil situation is here to stay I think the death of diesel is premature.

There's still nothing affordable out there that can match diesels cost per mile. And EV is not sufficiently advanced that most people will accept it. I wouldn't think of adopting EV with the distance anxiety and grid situation we have now and the warnings about potential brownouts this summer.

VW may have written off the diesel but I would bet that's not the case with the population that still owns and has owned them for the last couple decades.

As for diesel in HD there's no way to move anything in the US without diesel. Groceries, materials, gasoline...it's all delivered by diesel and that's not going to change in the near term...no matter what this administration says or does they cannot eliminate diesel (or any ICE) trucks without starting a war against the population. And AFAIC the population isn't going to stand for it.

Steve

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
Both the CP3 and less durable CP4 series pumps are made by Bosch, not Denso. I wasn't aware that GM uses Denso hpfp's in any of their diesel trucks.
the little duramax (2.8) switched to denso injectors around 2019 or so, i dont recall hearing that the hpfp changed though.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The 6.6 Duramax used the CP3 until 2011 when they switched to the CP4.2, followed by the Denso HP4 in 2017. The 2.8 also uses a Denso pump HPFP that appears to be the HP3.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
The duramax pumps still fail and aren't any better then the bosch units.
We run a fleet of 6.7L cummins trucks here that as of 2019 all have cp4 pumps now, but the warranty doesn't cover Canada for some reason. I also think maintenance or lack there of, plays a big part in the failures of cp4 pumps. We have a dozen cp4 equipped trucks in are fleet and I've only changed 1 cp4 @ 650,000km due to failure. The CP3 was very robust is comparison.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't understand your comment. You're running a dozen trucks with the CP4 and had to replace one pump at 650,000 km. How does that make it more fragile than the CP3?

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Well we’ve never had to replace a cp3 on any of the trucks. We are running close to 30 trucks all +2007, the 2007 duramax has 967k with original cp3. I guess what I’m trying to say is that with this era of increased time between services and horrible fuel quality, the cp4 is more prone to failure where as the cp3 can handle neglect better. We replace fuel filters every service (10,000km) and run dpf safe additive and we’ve had good luck.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, I missed your perspective on the other post.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Well we’ve never had to replace a cp3 on any of the trucks. We are running close to 30 trucks all +2007, the 2007 duramax has 967k with original cp3. I guess what I’m trying to say is that with this era of increased time between services and horrible fuel quality, the cp4 is more prone to failure where as the cp3 can handle neglect better. We replace fuel filters every service (10,000km) and run dpf safe additive and we’ve had good luck.
5 micron fuel filters or OEM 7 micron?

I probably should change it more often than 25,000 miles

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine came while on vacation over the last two weeks. Truck has been sitting in the drive due to a CEL for electronic throttle valve failure. Will see what that entails tomorrow. Means that we put almost 3000 miles on the JSW instead of the truck.