Next TDI, which VW to get?

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
So i am now on the hunt to replace a 2005 passat. i considered it my truck, go anywhere, haul anything.

Can a 2010-2015 golf substitute for a 2005passat? I ask the question in regard to reliability, considering the PD engine vs the HPFP malarky and any other issued i haven't read about yet? or try and find another 05 passat...

which way would you go? this is not to be family hauler, just a second car and must tow a utility trailer...

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Get an ALH and put some money into it. Something like this;

https://york.craigslist.org/pts/d/new-cumberland-2002-vw-golf-tdi/7153122269.html

Do a five speed swap, tune and turbo, full suspension etc. Yep, you'll put
an ez $5k in to it, depending on how much of the work you can do, or are
willing, to do yourself.

Procede to motor on for the next 150k+ miles. The Golf makes a great tow
vehicle for up to a ton with a good clutch and a tune. Parts are cheaper,
known reliability, and the technology and electronics are MUCH simpler
than the "new & improved" versions. It was a blessing in disguise when
my MkVI got totalled and I took the money and worked up my current
MkIV.

Go retro!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
That's exactly the route I went when I wanted to get a "little truck" on which I wouldn't sweat little scrapes and bumps and whatnot.

5sp. swap, LUK 17-050 clutch, bigger nozzles, tune coming soon, Curt hitch + wiring, wagon springs, etc. Great little buggy to zip around town, pick up stuff, dump off junk!

The problem, of course, is that once I got started, I continued down the upgrade path and put in a touchscreen Nav ($100), MFA cluster ($200), spruced up the interior, stainless foot pedals, etc. :rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nuje, keep in mind that the 17-050 LUK clutch won't hold up to big power, especially when towing.

To the OP, although bringing back a MKIV has a lot of appeal (I've done it a couple times), I'd also give serious consideration to a 2015 Golf. the ea288 engine is proving to be pretty much trouble free. Only exception is a few folks have had issues with water pumps leaking. But to be honest, the reliability of a BHW Passat isn't a very high bar. It'll be fine for towing a small (under 2K lbs) trailer.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Corrosion is the biggest enemy of cars around here. I think you'd be very happy with a commonrail Golf or GSW. The GSW especially, since it has more cargo area and the longer wheelbase is better for towing heavy loads.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The GSW especially, since it has more cargo area and the longer wheelbase is better for towing heavy loads.
This is a common misconception. The GSW and Golf have exactly the same wheelbase, 103.8". MKIV Golf and Jetta Wagon had the same wheelbase, too. Extra cargo area is solely made up with additional rear overhang.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Huh, I guess you're right. But I'm getting 101.5" for a wheelbase on the mk6/gsw/jsw.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That makes sense. Since the original golf w/ 94.5" wheelbase, each new iteration seems to pick up close to a couple of inches. They really aren't even compact cars anymore.

Last edited:

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
okay now to close out this loop. i spent 2 months looking for another b5.5 without rust, doesn't exist out here... was willing to get a golf and ended up finding a 2011 GSW in unmolested condition with 184,000km major service done , so it's just a matter of cleaning it, i will be adding a few of my own touches